Shall try to start an unofficial screenshots thread?

Lt. Hollaway’s boys are exposed on the back side of the ridge.  They were really in danger of being overrun by the German halftrack seconds ago, but then they saw help on the way, with the first 75mm gun shell exploding near the enemy vehicle.

Now there is a blinding explosion – the men instinctively recoil from the blast and Lt. Hollaway feels the rush of heat on his face from the fireball that once was the enemy. 

The whole rear of the German halftrack is thrown into the air as the front seems to dig into the dirt.  Then everything is obscured from the flame and smoke. 

No survivors, thinks Hollaway.   Nothing to even shoot at.

sevakm.jpg

Hollaway hears a second engine roaring over the crackle of flames from the dying vehicle in front of his position. 

“More coming, heads up!” he screams to his men. 

Through the smoke of the dying halftrack comes a ghostly apparition, cloaked in the smoky shroud of death.  A second German halftrack is rushing through the death throes of its partner.

Blaine is incredulous.  How the hell does he know these things? wonders the gunner for the second time today.  The Sarge must be psychic – and thank heaven for that

The gun is loaded and there is precious little he needs to do to alter the cannon.

Blaine knows he has been given the green light from the start of the engagement by his sergeant.  He trips the trigger and the carriage rocks for the third time in what seems like seconds to him, because time goes out of whack when you are fighting for your life.

The shell runs true and he sees the kill shot on the second halftrack.  He never got to see if that one had a gun on it or was just sporting machine guns.  Flames erupt and pieces fly off the dying halftrack.

“Nice shot,” says Sgt. Egert quietly.

2zhmd92.jpg

Blaine says nothing but he is bursting with pride. 

He’d ride through the gates of Hell alongside his sergeant.

Lt. Hollaway sees the shell impact the front of the second halftrack. 

This time he roars to his men, “Pour it on, Boys.  Let ‘em have all ya got!” 

They are slightly above the open halftrack and they rip rifle fire into the exposed rear compartment.

vs1k54.jpg

If there were any survivors from the initial hit, there aren’t any more.   The lieutenant’s men are efficient and deadly. 

Hollaway is starting to get the dangerous thought that there might be a chance they’ll survive the rest of this battle.  Having that gun watching over them really saved their bacon.

Sgt. Egert says only two words to his crew.  “Don’t relax.”  No one does.  The war goes on. 

Heinrich505

MOS,

That is one of Mord's excellent mods, for war-ravaged faces.  He did them for Germans and US, and might have done them for more now.

They were for CMBN, and I wasn't sure they'd work for CMRT but they did.  Then I tossed them in the mods folder for CMFI and they worked there too.  Helps with immersion.

Glad you like the post.

Heinrich505

Baneman,

Thanks for the comments.

I was so busy focusing on the action that I didn't notice the lighting effect on the hills.  Something about not seeing the forest for the trees, haha.

You are right.  Quite the effect.  Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I had missed that completely.  :lol:

Heinrich505

What do Scots know about sun? Just sayin'.

They long for it and take it wherever they can get it - including in pictures.

I absolutely hate the sun irl :angry:

Honestly, the heat-death of the Universe can't come fast enough for me.

Apparently, I'm genetically engineered for cold weather.  :lol:  A nice pleasant 12-14 degrees is T-shirt weather for me.

And there's still 2 months of this year's 6 month summer-hell to go :(  :(  :(

• 3 weeks later...

rocketman,

The show COMBAT! was a black and white TV series, following the exploits of an American squad, led by a grim and seasoned veteran sergeant.  It starred Vic Morrow as the sergeant and Rick Jason as the Lieutenant.  Each of these actors also had a hand in directing some of the episodes.  When color TV came out, they then started filming the show in color.  I am surely dating myself now by referring to black and white TV, haha.

You can see the episodes on YouTube - I think most of them have been posted there.  The show was well done and there were always guest actors, like James Caan, James Coburn, and other big names that appeared. 

One of their better episodes was a two-part show where Sgt. Saunders and his men are ordered to take a hill that is critical to their company's advance.  It was entitled "Hills are for Heroes."  Your screenshot reminded me a bit of that episode.  Someone recreated the episode with a CMBO or CMAK scenario years ago.  It was a hoot to play. 

The series was well received and lasted for many years with a cult following.  The equipment wasn't always correct, but Hollywood figured no one would notice.  Sometimes the German soldiers appeared with WWI version stahlhelms and water-cooled US machine guns.  The story lines were always pretty good though. 

Another of my favorite episodes was Sgt. Saunder's patrol going up against a veteran German sergeant and his patrol.  The veteran German sergeant was played by James Caan.  Caan showed the same concern for his men that Vic Morrow was showing for the US squad.  Nicely done.

Worth a look if you happen to be surfing YouTube for entertainment.

Heinrich505   

Vic directed "Hills are for Heroes" and it went over budget and pissed off the studio.

I got all the DVD's and my sons and I have together seen the entire 4 seasons over several years.

1 episode a night. 

Come on over, bring some beer and we'll fire one up! ;D

Now my oldest went off to the USAF so the younger one (15) and I decided to restart and watch them again. We're on season 1, disk 2. Male bonding.

Bud,

Ahhhh, the Rat Patrol.  It was sort of ruined a bit for me seeing all those American halftracks and Priest howitzers painted up in Afrika Corps colors with the balkencreutz.  Couldn't they find just one real Mark III Panzer? 

But, I was watching as the boys foiled Hauptmann Dietrich every single time. 

Hey, and lets not forget 12 O'clock High...a QM Production!!!

Heinrich505