11th Armored Black Bull units

Greetings,

Working up some units for the 11th Armored. In particular I worked some on the vanilla Cromwell Mk IV. Some weathering and slight change in hue along with decals. The gas cans were redone as well as the random tool box that shows up. Also decaled some Sherman V's and VC Firefly's.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005-1.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely work. But, they do seem rather clean.

Would be great to see more weathering, streaks of dirt runnning down, dirty exhaust area etc.

Well remember these guys got off the boats at about D+7 in new gear, so you have to balance that weathered look through August. As for the skins themselves, I have not weathered the Sherman's too much. I did get rid of that "golden" dust and give the mufflers some more realistic color. The Sherman's are great in CW, they have the right amount of weathering. Now the stock Cromwell's are pretty clean. I have added some very mild weathering and some dust but I haven't beat them up too bad. I will look at the exaust and see if they had a bunch of soot around the hood.

007.jpg

006.jpg

Pete

Re Units--------Not to mention the Guards Armoured of course......Have you got a few spare months??

Cheers

Rough Guide

7th Armoured used mainly Cromwells

11th Armoured used mainly Shermans except for Northampton Yeomanry with Cromwells

Guards Armoured used mainly Shermans except for Welsh Guards with Cromwells

All( including Cromwells) with a small proportion of Sherman Fireflies (initially 1 per troop) Challengers did not begin appearing until late August

Independent Tank Brigades used either Shermans or Churchills

Well I have been modding for years and if any of you have Steel Beasts you may have seen some of my work there. Those familiar with my work know that I am a little light on the mud, dust and grime. It will be there but it won't be nasty and disgusting. Why do all that work just to throw mud on it? Now if we get to the Bulge I will get out my buckets of mud but for Normandy expect dust, decals, exhaust soot , fuel streaks and some rust. In the meantime, expect 11th Armored Sherman V's, Stuart V's, Cromwell's and some armored cars as they were off the boats first, Armored Division wise. It is likely that the 7th Armored will be next because after all they are the friggin 7th! As for the Guards Armored, more likely they will show up with 30 Corp around September.

Just cos they're off the boats doesn't mean they came from the factory. They were probably buggering around the English countryside on maneuvers for months. :)

An ARMY that stops for tea, has time to wash and wax for a little trip across the canal. Many of those tanks were brand new when they headed across the canal, now granted there will some weather, wear and tear and you'll get at least what BF has done so far as wear and tear but not a lot more for the 11th at least. Like I said the Bulge will be a different story.

All (including Cromwells) with a small proportion of Sherman Fireflies (initially 1 per troop)

Not quite. The armd recce regts (one in each of the five armd divs) did not have any Firefly.

Independent Tank Brigades used either Shermans or Churchills

Not quite. The Tank Brigades all had Churchills. The indep Armd Bdes all had Shermans.

006.jpg

This has the 75mm Sherman from A Sqn 3RTR, while the Firefly is from A Sqn* 2 FF YEO.

Would you consider doing a variant in which the Shermans are from the same regt?

BTW, and FWIW, 11th Armd Div only used Sherman V (and VC). In fact, all the armd divs were exclusively equipped with V (and VC).

Jon

* or is that B Sqn? I can't tell if it's a square or a triangle.

BTW, and FWIW, 11th Armd Div only used Sherman V (and VC). In fact, all the armd divs were exclusively equipped with V (and VC).

* or is that B Sqn? I can't tell if it's a square or a triangle.

Jon,

7th on D-Day, 11th on D+7, you are correct. I am still researching but I would rather paint. I am aware that the 11th should have V's, VC's, Crom IV's and Stuart V's. I want the Crom's to be 15/19 Hussars which is easy enough. The Stuart V will be a pain as the fender texture is shared for left and right but I would like Bren's and Stuarts in 15/19 colors as well. As for the V's and VC's I would love to have them in the same Rgt of the 11th. It is a blue triangle BTW.