11th Armored Black Bull units

I am aware that the 11th should have V's, VC's, Crom IV's and Stuart V's.

Cool. I have no idea if the pic above is a V or not, although I expect it probably is. I long ago gave up trying to remember the distinguishing characteristics between marks of various WWII AFVs. My point was mainly to note you needn't do /all/ the Sherman variants.

I would like Bren's and Stuarts in 15/19 colors as well.

Did 15/19 have any Brens?

As for the V's and VC's I would love to have them in the same Rgt of the 11th. It is a blue triangle BTW.

Nice. I long to have the illusion that all the vehicles are either from the same unit, or from units that reasonably belong together.

As a personal favour, though - would you consider putting them all in 3 RTR? That is, with yellow markings? I'm red-green colour blind, as are probably 10% of the folk here, and find both the blue and red markings a little hard to pick out.

Cheers

Jon

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dpabrams---very much appreciate all you are doing and all the armoured div. variants and div markings etc you are providing. But if you are providing a choice which is valuable for identification and immersiveness I would request, if you have the time and energy,that you do not to totally ignore Guards Armoured Div which was very much involved in Operation Epsom and in Bluecoat in July/August in Normandy.

Thanks a lot.

Easy guys, I have not even done a release yet and I learned a long time ago to never do requests. I also learned to never say never. At any rate the 11th will be up first, then the 7th and as we get closer to Market Garden, the Guards. I think the Stuart V is going to be a hiccup.

Settled on the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment, A Squadron for the V's and VC's. I will do an M10 and Achilles from the 75th Anti-Tank Regt (Armd) and the Cromwell IV from the 15/19 King's Royal Hussars. Added a little rust to the Cromwell and muddied up the M10 some for the dirty players out there. I need to figure out a Stuart V, some armored cars and Bren's next.

CMNormandy2012-03-1716-33-36-58.jpg

CMNormandy2012-03-1716-34-14-75.jpg

CMNormandy2012-03-1716-34-36-50.jpg

probably a grandma-suck-eggs moment coming up but ... the diamond/circle/triangle/square markings on the Cromwells should be in white (because the armd recce regt was un-brigaded)

Allright that's it! The entire project staff has been sacked. OK, so for the 15/19 King's Royal Hussars a white geometric shape. How about for the 75th Anti-Tank Regt?

How about for the 75th Anti-Tank Regt?

Ah, well. They're Royal Artillery, not Royal Armoured Corps, so of course they used a completely different system.

I'll turn up the nutrient flow and the electrodes, then post something later today.

For anyone who is interested in all these morkings and designations and everything else you might want to know about the mystical British army ,organization, equipment , infantry ,weapons, tanks, vehicles etc in the period DDay--VEDay everything fully llustrated in colour, I would strongly recommend "The British Soldier-From D Day to VE Day" Vol 2 Organization, Armament,Tanks and Vehicles - by Jean Boucherie.

Then you probably wont need to keep anything in a bottle like JonS--apart of course from your alcohol.

NB Have just checked it out on Amazon UK and I must say the price has risen appreciably since I bought it for £19 about 10 years ago-----but it is a first rate reference on this topic.

The Crom looks nice - were you thinking of putting a bridge classification on it as well?

The M-10 looks good too. The only thing that immediately springs to mind is that you may want to add a battery identifier, in addition to the regiment identifier (the red/blue square with 77 on it) a little like this:

img4005.jpg

(which indicates 2nd battery, or in the specific case of 75th AT Regt: 118 Bty) with a white vehicle identifier in the middle, something like E2 (second gun in E Troop)

I don't recall exactly where that goes though.

Oh ... also, I'm not sure if the Armd Divs had any plain-Jane M-10s in their inventory. I have a strong suspicion they were exclusively equipped with towed and SP 17-pr.

I keep alcohol in my jar. Doesn't everybody?

The Crom looks nice - were you thinking of putting a bridge classification on it as well?

It's there but it's is caked over with dried mud, lower hull and not too visable on that shot.

Oh ... also, I'm not sure if the Armd Divs had any plain-Jane M-10s in their inventory. I have a strong suspicion they were exclusively equipped with towed and SP 17-pr.

Can I get confirmation on that?

I keep alcohol in my jar. Doesn't everybody?

In my coffee cup.

The Sherman V, VC and Stuart V have been uploaded and updated, special thanks to Jon S. and his jar for catching some mistakes. This was my first upload and I used the wrong file type for the thumbnail so there was no pic. No one likes to upload without a pic so this has been updated in the 1.1 version.

Next up are the M10, Achilles and Cromwell IV of the 11th Armored.

CMNormandy2012-03-1913-14-52-18.jpg

CMNormandy2012-03-1913-15-23-71.jpg

Pete

CMNormandy2012-03-1913-14-52-18.jpg

Oops. I've inadvertently confused things.

The 77 should be in a half-and-half red/blue square, just like you had in this post (although it could be moved onto the glacis near the headlight)

In addition, you could add the quarters red/blue square (optionally with a white E2 superimposed on it) to the lower hull between the tracks, somewhere near the (29) bridge classification sign (as positioned in this post)

Up next the armored cars of the Inns of Court a Corps Regt., that was attached to the 11th Armored. I started with the Staghound. Some minor color work and decals added. I also added more prominant casting to the turret with grinding marks as well. Weathering will follow.

CMNormandy2012-03-2002-51-39-46.jpg

CMNormandy2012-03-2002-54-55-33.jpg