11th Armored Black Bull units

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were the Inns /really/ part of 11 AD, enough to wear the Bull?

Sort of, I did find some Humbars with the Bull but it was not dated so it's hard to say, could have been from the 50's for all I know. How about I go with the Inn's? BTW how about their emblem?

No, certainly not in our timeframe. Also, neither Inns of Court nor 11th AD used Humber IVs in NWE.

Jon S. and AKD, what did the Inn's have in our timeframe, Staghounds and What?

AKD, you are saying the 11th, did not have the Humber IV period.

Inns of Court had mostly Daimler armoured cars and Daimler scout cars (Dingos). They also had a small number of Humber scout cars, AEC A/Cs and Staghound A/Cs.

11th AD had Humber and Daimler scout cars and maybe a few Staghounds.

AFAIK, 11th AD never had Humber IVs. Most of the Humber armoured cars were concentrated in the infantry division recce regiments, although some were used by misc. 21st AG HQs as well.

www.warwheels.net

I agree re the units --but werent the Inns of Court Armoured Car regiment, though a Corps unit, in fact, at least attached to the 11th Armoured Div (as other AC Regiments were attached to other Armoured Divs) during this period. I am not at all sure though, whether they ever wore the 11th Div Bull....

I agree re the units --but werent the Inns of Court Armoured Car regiment, though a Corps unit, in fact, at least attached to the 11th Armoured Div (as other AC Regiments were attached to other Armoured Divs) during this period. I am not at all sure though, whether they ever wore the 11th Div Bull....

This appears to be the case. I am however having trouble finding a squadron decal for the Inn's.

My only reservation for your gorgeous mods is that as soon as Aris has his dirtied up (or someone dirties yours up even more) those will be the ones most everyone will be using.

That is beauty of mods. Some players are just filthy, nasty and dirty rust bucket types, while others like a cleaner unit. All my units will have weathering to some degree and even some rust.

This appears to be the case. I am however having trouble finding a squadron decal for the Inn's.

Sqn Decal, or Regimental?

Anyway, instead of the Bull, they wore the I Corps insignia, which was a white spear pointing upwards on a red diamond

mid.jpg

(Should be rotated to the right ... I don't know what the dots are, sewing holes maybe?)

I agree re the units --but werent the Inns of Court Armoured Car regiment, though a Corps unit, in fact, at least attached to the 11th Armoured Div (as other AC Regiments were attached to other Armoured Divs) during this period.

Definately. And as the campaign wore on these attachements became progressively more permanent.

I am not at all sure though, whether they ever wore the 11th Div Bull

Yes, I'm certain now they didn't, at least not in Normandy.

I'm not even sure that armoured cars wore the squadron shapes.

Thinking on it some more ... it's possible the Inns wore the XXX Corps boar, rather than the I Corps spearhead :( (or that they switched from one to the other at some point during the campaign)

My only reservation for your gorgeous mods is that as soon as Aris has his dirtied up (or someone dirties yours up even more) those will be the ones most everyone will be using.

Not me. Aris is an amazing artist, but the amount of weathering he puts on his vehicles is not realistic IMO. They look like they have had years of hard use. Some mud and dirt is certainly in order, but most front line vehicles in WW2 did not live long enough to become "weathered" to any great degree. I think dpabrams has it just about right.

That is beauty of mods. Some players are just filthy, nasty and dirty rust bucket types, while others like a cleaner unit. All my units will have weathering to some degree and even some rust.

Yep, I agree...it's like the subdued movement we had in CMBO, everyone's got their own thing. One side liked the brighter colors the other washed out. I fall into the filthy, nasty and dirty rust bucket category but I can appreciate that others don't.

@ Erwin...if you wanted a dirtier version all you'd have to do would be to lay dpabrams' file over say, one of Aris's files of the same type, turn down the opacity of the top layer then erase all of it accept for the decals...pretty simple stuff.

Anyway, dp...nice work! I gotta a trash bag over me 'cause I don't care what JonS says...his brain is gonna pop any minute now.

Mord.

Mord.

OK, thanks for the links guys but I have to say it's a little thin for the Inn's:

•Staghound is included

•Daimler Scout (SOD) is included

Not included in CW but listed in TO&E for the Inn’s:

•Humber Scout Car Mark I/II

•Daimler Mark I Armored Car

So the alternative is to substitute Humber III and Daimler II with it's 40mm.

And the hell had the Humber IV?

Pete

OK, thanks for the links guys but I have to say it's a little thin for the Inn's:

•Staghound is included

•Daimler Scout (SOD) is included

Not included in CW but listed in TO&E for the Inn’s:

•Humber Scout Car Mark I/II

•Daimler Mark I Armored Car

So the alternative is to substitute Humber III and Daimler II with it's 40mm.

And the hell had the Humber IV?

Pete

I've seen pictures of the Inns using I Corps formation signs until at least Sep 44, so that would be the way to go I would think.

Modelling the following would cover most of the Inns vehicles:

Both Daimler versions in CW (the mk II should be close enough for now)

Humber III (they did have a few of these according to warwheels)

Staghound

White Scout Car

Missing from CW:

AEC III

Staghound AA

Also found some additional Inns of Court info:

Inns of Court

The Armoured Car Regt attached to the 11th Armoured Division was the Inns of Court, known as the "Devils Own" as they traditionally recurited from the Lawyers of the Inns of Court in London.

Vehicles

The main armoured vehicles used by the Regiment during the Second World War were the Daimler Scout Car ("Dingo") and the Daimler Armoured Car. Sabre Squadrons used both the Scout and Armoured Cars. Scout Cars formed the equipment of the Light Troops, and were also deployed for liaison throughout the Regiment. The Humber Scout Car was additionally used in a limited role for liaison. Heavy Troops also used the AEC 'Heavy' Armoured Car known as the 'Matador'. from GoldBeach.org.uk

warwheels.net has a transcription of various WE tables giving armoured car numbers at various points through the campain in NWE.

Inns of Court June 44

ActualQty Vehicle

45 Daimler I 2pdr

14 Staghound 37mm

8 AEC III

5 Anti Aircraft A/C

52 Daimler Scout

13 Humber Scout

The 37mm Staghounds given above are different from the "expected" TOE list, I think these were probably HQ vehicles. The Staghound was favoured for this role due to its larger size.

· I Corps in August 1944 then

· VIII Corps from September 1944

In terms of what vehicles are available in the game, the British Armd Car Regts will all have the same equipment.

Inns of Court (I Corps - Sep 44 to 11th Armd Div)

2nd Household Cavalry (VIII Corps - Sep 44 to Guards Armd Div)

1st Royal Dragoons (XII Corps - later...I can't remember right now :P)

11th Hussars (XXX Corps - Sep 44 to 7th Armd Div)

The other major Armd Car Regt in Normandy was the 12th Manitoba Dragoons of II Cdn Corps, though the entire regiment was Staghounds with a few White Scout cars (and apparently some Lynx SC).

Not me. Aris is an amazing artist, but the amount of weathering he puts on his vehicles is not realistic IMO. They look like they have had years of hard use. Some mud and dirt is certainly in order, but most front line vehicles in WW2 did not live long enough to become "weathered" to any great degree. I think dpabrams has it just about right.

Agreed. After using Aris's vehicle mods for a while, I realized they didn't match my taste, and so I went back to the stock vehicle skins. Most of the stock skins are really good - of which I rate the Shermans the best.