Possible C2 Bug-Need Confirmation

I've noticed this lately in scenarios I'm playing in both single player and PBEM games. I'm wondering whether it is a bad install on my part (though I don't think so) or it is indeed a bug.

What I'm talking about is I've noticed that units, which are no where near their platoon leaders or company commanders, battalion etc., have no radios etc., are still within their C2 contact with higher command.

Take a look at these screenshots I've just taken.

CMNormandy2012-03-1011-09-07-20.jpg

No contact with platoon, company, or battalion...yet C2 indicators are on.

CMNormandy2012-03-1011-30-25-06.jpg

Another screenshot. Again, no contact with any of the higher command yet C2 indicators are on.

CMNormandy2012-03-1011-30-44-97.jpg

Another pic. Again, these guys are pretty far from their platoon and company CO's, also Battalion HQ is on other side of map. Again, no radios on these guys as well. No where near anyone who has a radio. Yet, they have C2 with the Battalion.

CMNormandy2012-03-1011-31-25-91.jpg

Again, no C2 with platoon or company but they have C2 with Battalion HQ.

CMNormandy2012-03-1011-35-06-31.jpg

Another one. These guys are again far away from any command authority with radios etc. They have C2 with Battalion and company but not platoon. They don't have a radio. Why is that?

Now this is happening with all units, not just one nationality. I've played this superb game long enough to know something is not quite right...or am I having a brain fart?:)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

You are misreading the chain of command display (far lower left). It is a chain, not a tree. For example, in your first image the selected breach team is out of C2 with its platoon HQ, but its platoon HQ is in C2 with the company HQ, which is in turn in C2 with its HQ (battalion). The breach team is NOT in C2 with the company HQ or the battalion HQ.

You are misreading the chain of command display (far lower left). It is a chain, not a tree. For example, in your first image the selected breach team is out of C2 with its platoon HQ, but its platoon HQ is in C2 with the company HQ, which is in turn in C2 with its HQ (battalion). The breach team is NOT in C2 with the company HQ or the battalion HQ.

I'm not following you. Maybe I've been playing this game all wrong then...:o I've always though those C2 indicators were in relation to the particular unit you are looking at and how they were within C2 chain.

Brain fart.

The lights show links in a chain not branches from that unit to all HQs. The green lights show that platoon is linked to company and company is linked to battalion, not that squad is linked to company and battalion.

What you need to look for is the CC icons above that suppression meter (voice, near sight etc). These units have none so they have no contact to their superior HQ.

Brain fart.

The lights show links in a chain not branches from that unit to all HQs. The green lights show that platoon is linked to company and company is linked to battalion, not that squad is linked to company and battalion.

What you need to look for is the CC icons above that suppression meter (voice, near sight etc). These units have none so they have no contact to their superior HQ.

Man I feel like an idiot. :o I've played this game so long it is just shameful. :mad: I should have known better to post. Forgive my waste of forum space. :( Thank you for the clarification gentlemen. Off to re-read the manual.

I've found that C2 can come and go for no 'apparent' reason - but I'm sure it is something to do with the game mechanics.

An undocumented feature is that radios will randomly stop working for short periods of time, so if a C2 link is by radio then that would do it. Radios in vehicles can stop working for other reasons as well.

If it is C2 via visual or voice that is coming and going then I have no idea.

Man I feel like an idiot. :o I've played this game so long it is just shameful. :mad: I should have known better to post. Forgive my waste of forum space. :( Thank you for the clarification gentlemen. Off to re-read the manual.

Well, even though I know how C2 is represented in the UI I am happy you posted this because it could possible help explain it to someone else who doesn't know. So thanks!

I wouldn't feel too bad as the manual doesn't explain the chain thing at all afaict. I've seen other equally experienced people make the same assumption.

Do not feel bad YOUR QUESTION WAS AWESOME, YOU PROBABLY helped hundreds of lurkers out there looking on. I like questions like these for clarification. Thanks

Here's another related thing I recently learned.

The commanders up the chain can give C2 to the bottom units. It seems obvious and/or desirable. I only found for sure that it is true recently: you can have the eye or the face that is showing "In C2" on a "bottom" unit (squad) when it is near a high up HQ (eg battalin HQ), even though it's immediate platoon H! is showing red in the command chain indicator.

Hope this makes sense :)

GaJ

Thank you gentlemen for your kind comments. I've re-educated myself on C2 in this game. Thinking about it...you know, this whole C2 feature is really quite the game changer. It forces you to actually "organize" your attacks. It teaches you patience in moving those units up to the proper C2 level and jump off points.

I think I understand how the C2 system is supposed to work. And it's a great idea "in principle".

My question is what is the POINT of knowing that my Co HQ is in C2 with Bn HQ, when all I really care about is the C2 status of my combat troops (or their HQ's ability to get arty)?

It's the same frustrating detail as having the third loader seeing the target, but not the gun itself being able to shoot at the target. Who cares about the third loader? If the gun/tank/whatever automatically moved to get to a firing position thanks to the third loader's spotting ability THAT would be useful.

What useful game functions do these esoteric details serve? Otherwise, they are merely details for detail's sake, but with no gameplay enjoyment enhancement.

...My question is what is the POINT of knowing that my Co HQ is in C2 with Bn HQ, when all I really care about is the C2 status of my combat troops (or their HQ's ability to get arty)?

C2 link from Co HQ to Bn HQ means particular Co HQ get's spotting info from other Co HQ through Bn HQ and best 'rally'-level, I think.

The radio C2 thing is tied to movement of the carryng unit in my experience.

When an infantry unit carries a radio, it stops working until that unit stops moving. A few seconds after that, the radio icon will light back up.

As far as losing radio C2 at other times... I don't check as often as I should, I suppose. Once i see a unit is in C2 and no one moves, I assume it stays.

-

Would appreciate help re a C2 issue that just cropped up in the CW German Campaign re 81mm on-map mortars.

The mortars have a section HQ and the section HQ has a Heavy Weapons platoon HQ. At first I moved the section HQ to a spotting position while the Platoon HQ sat beside the mortars. However, after several minutes I noticed that the mortars had no C2 to the platoon HQ a couple meters away even though one sees the symbols for sight and voice contact.

The Section HQ which was with the frontline troops had no connection to the mortars at all, so can't use em.

Next I swapped the HQ's positions, so the section HQ is now right next to the mortars while the platoon HQ ran to the frontline. After a couple minutes of sitting in position, the platoon HQ still has no contact to the mortars. (I think there is is now C2 between the mortars and the Section HQ.)

If it's a connection issue, how long do I have to wait for the platoon HQ to have C2 to the mortars. If it's something else, what is going on and how does one get C2 to the mortars?

Presumably, I should not have to move the mortars close to the frontline, just to maintain C2(?).

To be accessible by remote spotters, mortars must either:

1. Have good C2 links up the normal chain of command to an HQ with a radio (in this case that would be Mortar --> Section HQ [no radio] --> Platoon HQ [has radio])

2. Be located next to a stationary vehicle with radio (e.g. mortar carrier HT)

All subordinate units can benefit from the temporary local command of an adjacent higher HQ in their chain of command if they are out of C2 with the immediate HQ, but this does not "plug them in" to the call for fire network.

Also note that any unit that can spot can call for fire from a mortar that they are within voice range of.