Hetzers to ze front

My name is Herr Otto Flick. Gestapo.

It has come to my knowledge zat ze panzer generals on ze front is in great need of Hetzer panzers.

Deliver Hetzer panzers to ze front now !

Or you will be shot !

Now l will continue ze search for the painting of ze madonna with ze big boobies...

:P

My Gestapo Enigma says;

Jagdpanzer 38 (t) Hetzer, uses the same chassi as the Marder lll.

So l think we can expect these exelent little tanks on the front in a near future.

They were avaliable late august 44. In the Ardenne offensive, and on the ostfront as well.

Cant wait...

:)

There were no Hetzers in Normandy. First production was indeed in April, 1944, but didn't really get going until May; only 20 were produced in April.

First production went to units on the East Front, and the vehicle was deployed with front line combat units there no later than July, 1944 (Pz. Jaeger Abt. 731 & 743). Bear in mind that although the base chassis wasn't new, the fighting compartment of the Hezter was completely new, so it took time to train crews on how to fight the vehicle. This, in addition to the usual logistical issues of actually getting the vehicles from the factory to the front line units, is probably why you don't see Hetzers in combat as soon as they start coming off the assembly line in May/June.

Best I can tell, the first time Hezters saw combat in the ETO was in September, 1944 with Pz. Jager Abteilung 741 in the Netherlands. This would put the Hetzer solidly outside CMBN's current timeframe, though probably within the expanded timeframe once the Market Garden module comes out. So perhaps we'll see them then. If not, then we may need to wait for the Bulge game family...

Yes you´re right. More than 2500 where made until may 45. So it became more inportant than both jagdpanthers and jagdtigers.

Difficult to hit, very low siluette, good armor at the front at least, good gun, modified Stug gun, effective AT tank.

Hetzer = instigator, trouble maker.

Hetzer one of my favorite AFVs in CMBO. Mickey D. made a fantastic tri-color mod for it.

Brings back fond memories.

Yeah, I loved that little fokker. Due to the front slope, there was a good chance AP rounds would bounce off the front of it. I can hear the "pings" now. Good times. Good times.

Bernie, you spelled "will" wrong. It should be "vill". ;-)

Very vell. l have studied ze english from ze records in ze gestapo arcives. "how to fool ze french pezants zat yo are a english airman" record.

The Hetzer is very good in CMAK as vell.

l vould like an instigate-a on my comput-a, a trouble make-a...

Interestingly, according to the user Hetzer was a piece of crap. :) The loader was on the wrong side of the weapon, the commander has the worst possible position for buttoned-up viewing, and the remote mg was a 1000 rpm weapon with a 40 round ammo drum. But hobbyists love the Hetzer.

"Interestingly....But hobbyists love the Hetzer."

It vas a 50 round drum magazine, 360° field of fire, remote controll, exelent construction...

Even if ze loader vas running behind the tank, ant the commander vas sitting on the engine in a wooden barrel, it vas still succesful, ya.

By ze vay, who vas complaining? l vill have him shot !

:)

Well, with respect to all the cew who had to live and die in the Jagdpanzer 38, it is a good machine in a wargame. Good gun, speed, sloped armour.

Even if it was a design born out of desperation, with disregard to the humans who had to crew them.

The 75mm Pak 40 was succesfull on its own, so it seems reasonable it will be good once on a motor. After all, they could sit and wait, since the enemy was going to come for them anyways. But I would not like to be in a Jagdpanzer once out of its element (hideout), let alone be on the offensive pushing a Pak.

I look forward to having hetzers too. I always purchased them for PBEM anytime I played germans in CMAK. Tough little bastards to take out with a gun that can take out pretty much anything. My other favorite is the hellcat when playing as allied. Hope to see that one too in the future as well.