CW gets a mention on Rock, Paper, Shotgun

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/21/combattlemissnormanwealthforce-videos/#more-95326

I don't understand why they didn't review CMBN. They previewed it extensively, all of their writers seem to be familiar with the game and it gets mentioned often on The Flare Path (the wargame/simulation specific post every Friday). Anyway, it's a very popular site for PC gaming so hopefully this draws in some newbies.

Jeezus, regarding the comments in that article, does the negativity never end?

Let's be fair - someone saying he prefers the old Close Combat games for their campaign systems is not overly negative, it just means that for some the tactical portion is less important than for others. One likes the mother, another likes the daughter, and someone likes the sheep, who's to argue which one is right? :D

Let's be fair - someone saying he prefers the old Close Combat games for their campaign systems is not overly negative, it just means that for some the tactical portion is less important than for others. One likes the mother, another likes the daughter, and someone likes the sheep, who's to argue which one is right? :D

I think the sheep might want a say in this.

What does "aka the game that clogged the RPS title cannon" mean?

Did they mean 'canon'? Is it a play on words, or some wargaming jargon?

They have some kind of unwritten rule about post titles never being more than one line (why, I don't know :P), which makes it a bit hard to squeeze "Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy: Commonwealth Forces" into any kind of phrase or pun that would fit.

I don't understand why they didn't review CMBN. They previewed it extensively, all of their writers seem to be familiar with the game and it gets mentioned often on The Flare Path (the wargame/simulation specific post every Friday). Anyway, it's a very popular site for PC gaming so hopefully this draws in some newbies.

It's always nice to get coverage from people who actually take time to play the game and think critically about it. Tim Stone's a great writer and wargaming advocate. If you'd like to see a Wot I Think about Commonwealth be sure to mention that in the comments thread.

What does "aka the game that clogged the RPS title cannon" mean?

Did they mean 'canon'? Is it a play on words, or some wargaming jargon?

It may be referencing Tim's post a month or so ago about wargame names.

Edit: Oh, Ranger's theory works better. :)

Sergei, you have a good point. It would be nice if more posters could give the "glass half full" view more often, though, IMHO. But hey, it's just a game afterall.

or the glass is twice as big as it needs to be? :D Actually didn't think the posts were that bad, we've all seen worse trash talking. The holy grail of an op layer is obviously something a lot of folks want (myself included) even if we know

1 - it is so hopelessly difficult it will never happen and

2 - would prefer that development time actually be spent on the game and not on something that would likely collapse from it's own complexity.

as to the sheep, the last I heard they'd said...wait for it.... nnnaaaaahhhhhhh

yeah I know, bloody awful

Yeah, I'm really happy RPS branched out a bit, officially. Cardboard Children and Flare Path are definitely the things I always take time to read.

It's interesting to me that the Mojang love doesn't seem to have died, even though it doesn't seem that any of the RPS guys still play it. I wonder about that. :)

It's interesting to me that the Mojang love doesn't seem to have died, even though it doesn't seem that any of the RPS guys still play it. I wonder about that. :)

Well, Mojang did just raise half a million dollars for charity, along with various other charitable activities in the past. That tends to get you some pretty good PR.

Also, Notch has a magnificent beard and a silly hat. You guys are totally slacking in that department. :D

Well, Mojang did just raise half a million dollars for charity, along with various other charitable activities in the past. That tends to get you some pretty good PR.

Oh, right the game jam!

Not to put down the effort, but having a $70 million bankroll for a pretty small team gives you some bandwidth for shenanigans. I work every weekend but it has to go toward CM. :)

Also, Notch has a magnificent beard and a silly hat. You guys are totally slacking in that department. :D

I have a beard! I do not, however, have a silly hat.

Actually didn't think the posts were that bad, we've all seen worse trash talking.

I think it's also a matter of minor flaws on a jewel being that much more annoying and noticeable than major flaws on a turd. People tend to complain most vocally about the things they love.

I will pull my hair out and write manifestos complaining about the keyboard controls flakiness in CMBN, but watch me play some godawful flash-based cooking game at my daughter's insistence for 5 minutes and I'll come out saying "well, the pixel art on that one character's hair was actually not that bad."