Rare German vehicle photo.

The dual driver concept did have some merit... This vehicle was designed to be a very cheap reccy type, production costs were kept down by making it totally unarmoured. To compensate the vehicle was configured for driver redundancy so that if driver #1 was rendered inoperable driver #2 could take over.

Very clever of those Germans engineers. Very clever.

Weren't there real half-tracks fielded that had a steering wheel in the back, so the rear gunner (or whatever his job was) could quickly drive them out of trouble if needed? Or did I just dream that up?

I don't know of any halftracks specifically that had this feature but there were several German (wheeled) armored cars that had this; they had duplicate driving controls and a rear-facing drivers' seat so that a crewmember could be ready to reverse the vehicle away from trouble quickly.

I don't know of any halftracks specifically that had this feature but there were several German (wheeled) armored cars that had this; they had duplicate driving controls and a rear-facing drivers' seat so that a crewmember could be ready to reverse the vehicle away from trouble quickly.

Ah yes, armored cars, that's what I meant. Don't know why my mind went to half-tracks, that wouldn't really make any sense.