Does anyone play Combat Mission AND ASL?

I know a lot of Combat Mission players are former ASL'ers... But does anyone do both?

I personally am thinking about getting back into ASL but I have no intention of dropping Combat Mission. My issue, as likely everyone's, is the time to do both, and work.. live, etc...

I have found CMBN, especially with PBEM, to be amenable to a complicated schedule. ASL not so much especially if you only to ftf. However, with the new fangled VASL, I'm thinking it might be possible to have my cake and eat it too...

Just wondering if anyone has managed to pull this feat off?

Javasligner

dear old friends from years ago, but I would really not want to go back, never found head to head play that enjoyable because of all the rules and debates on how they were played. Then once computer gaming made the same level of tactical game available, it was like, truely hidden units and both sides having units moving and fighting in real time to each other, why would I want to go back to the format that cannot protray them basic but important aspects of combat.

I do miss some of the depth that was available in it. as to what they created. I still remember a scenario from the japanese modules. I heroic marine with a machine gun on a ridge trying to hold off platoons of Japs.

fun stuff. I sure cannot get the same results in these games as to HMG causing that type of control in a battle. I will take that back, once in CMX1 I was on the wrong side of a game where the guy I was against had a machine gun in a trench next to a bridge I needed to clear. He had about 2 platoons guarding that bridge, I had a a couple of companies. I killed and captured everyone except for the MG in a few turns. I then focused all my mortars and MG's on the trench and when I felt he should be totally pinned or dead rushed infantry against the trench. Lets just say to make a long story short. he shot me to pieces, I regrouped and did it two more times with what I had left and never captured the trench. After the game, he had, like one or two guys left of that crew, they had killed 40+ soilders of mine and basically was the only reason he won that scenario. So once, and of course I would be on the wrong end of seeing it happen.

In gaming systems like this, I think there is a collecting element to it also. It's probably not possible for people to play all the scenarios/campaigns they have. Nothing wrong with collecting things like the historical ASL modules. I think people that play tactical wargames, computer or otherwise, love maps and reading about the campaigns. And those maps are lovely. Some great ideas there too for CMBN campaigns - not saying there is not enough other inspiration. I hope down the road that someone creates a CMBN Operation Veritable campaign for example.

CMBN players have the same cravings for new stuff as ASL players, to highlight another common trait. I am a slow player so I cannot imagine how anyone has played all the CMBN stuff yet. And still everyone cannot wait for the CW module!

Take care,

Gerry

I used to play ASL, but not often. Now, with CMxx and everything else going on in life (tempo seems to've increased), I play CM and just collect ASL. :)

When I was younger and had more time on my hands, I found it difficult find the time to play ASL. Now its just an impossibility. CM is not only more convenient (by about a thousand fold), I can play against the AI.

I'm a busy person with many demands on my time yet I play more games of CM in a year than I probably played of ASL ever.

And the Fog of War in ANY computer game is always going to be infinitely more satisfactory than in a board game. Think how much difference that makes.

When I was younger and had more time on my hands, I found it difficult find the time to play ASL. Now its just an impossibility. CM is not only more convenient (by about a thousand fold), I can play against the AI.

I'm a busy person with many demands on my time yet I play more games of CM in a year than I probably played of ASL ever.

And the Fog of War in ANY computer game is always going to be infinitely more satisfactory than in a board game. Think how much difference that makes.

PBEM via VASSAL allows me to play on my schedule and I can do a move in about 5 to 10 minutes, sometimes longer if the scenario is complicated. I keep it simple and only play SL, not ASL. Traditional board war-games are now having a mini resurgence due to VASSAL, lots of new games are coming out every year and more people are play them. Its not the 70s, but I think the games are better. It all depends on what type of gaming experience one wants.

ASL is just sooooo much more developed that CMBN is... maybe in 3-5 years when all of the theaters of war have come out and user made scenario's and campaigns reach a mature state is made just touch where ASL now.

However, it is true that CM has the advantage of solo play vs the AI, easier and faster PBEM, and fog of war. I am excited to try ASL via VASSL however, should I ever find the time...

I still have 4 cardboard boxes full of maps, and pieces, and rules, and scenarios...

I would have to be at some ASL-only week-long retreat for the hopelessly groggy to undertake another ASL jaunt.

Please tell me I am not the only one to have a cat run across Western European battlefields and ruin 3+ hours.

Since I now reside with three felines... I think ASL is out of the question.

I stopped playing ASL the day I found Panzer General for MSDOS.

My cats seemed to figure how to get attention. They would sit patiently for ages watching the game progress and those interesting stacks build up, until...

Then computer gaming took over. Eventually, my surviving elederly cat learned how to turn off my system using the surge protector on-off switch (WTF!!) Just sitting close to it now is enuff to get my full attention and some hugging/brushing etc.

It's gotten down to now all she has to do is sit in front of the monitor and stare at me.

ASL is just sooooo much more developed that CMBN is... maybe in 3-5 years when all of the theaters of war have come out and user made scenario's and campaigns reach a mature state is made just touch where ASL now.

Ahh, the different theatres of ASL...

Now, I can't claim to have played them all but I was so excited by the fact they were all there. I'd love to have got the chance to play the Chinese but by the time they were in I didn't have the time for ASL. Unfortunately, as far as I understand, CM will never deal with the PTO which I think is a real shame. Just lets hurry up with the Eastern Front at least. ;)