New Commonwealth screenshots.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vehicle is the staghound.

There will be no berets in the final release for the airborne troops, much as I love them.

SS camouflage smocks, yes.

2 types of helmets for the UK troops. I think someone asked that in another thread.

-

No red Berets? there in the screenies. Why won't there be a mixture of helmets and Berets in game?

Why won't there be a mixture of helmets and Berets in game?

It seems berets don´t protect the soldiers heads very well so they tend not to use them in combat. ;)

You will probably be able to mod them in though. We´ll see.

Mk II and Mk III Turtle helmet?

Yep.

Has there been any talk of new or improved terrain features?

Nope.

-

It seems berets don´t protect the soldiers heads very well so they tend not to use them in combat. ;)

You will probably be able to mod them in though. We´ll see.-

mmm my eagerness for the cool look of the berets, overruled the obvious disadvantages of fighting in them

mmm my eagerness for the cool look of the berets, overruled the obvious disadvantages of fighting in them

Actually, the Cw. Commandos were famous (though, as noted, perhaps foolhardy) for wearing their berets in combat, so it would actually be realistic if the game represented Commando units with berets.

Certainly not a game breaker for me if we have to live without them, tho. Perhaps an interesting (though IMHO minor) debate is whether Commandos should be slightly more vulnerable to shell fragments especially, due to the lack of head protection.

I always think of the commandos wearing the wool hat not a beret.

-

I've seen in combat zone pictures of the Commandos in wool caps in other campaigns/actions (Dieppe, for one), but I've never seen a photograph of Commando units wearing the wool cap in Normandy -- seems it's always the beret in Normandy.

Actually, the Cw. Commandos were famous (though, as noted, perhaps foolhardy) for wearing their berets in combat, so it would actually be realistic if the game represented Commando units with berets.

Certainly not a game breaker for me if we have to live without them, tho. Perhaps an interesting (though IMHO minor) debate is whether Commandos should be slightly more vulnerable to shell fragments especially, due to the lack of head protection.

Oh yes Commandos should have beanie hats :)

No red Berets? there in the screenies. Why won't there be a mixture of helmets and Berets in game?

Oh - I agree. We must have the red berets. I'm sure the mod community will sort this out. Perhaps CM can leave the mesh (or whatever it's called) for the beret in the game somewhere?

I think both the paras and the commandos had/have a tendency to wear their berets even in combat. After all, they denote that the wearer has passed through a very rigourous training programme.

Histoire and Collections "The British Soldier: Volume 1" suggests the green commando beret was introduced in 1942 for both Royal Marines and Army commandos.

On the subject of Commonwealth helmets I'd have thought there needs to be at least three.

The Mk II, the Mk III, and the paratrooper helmet. A variant of the latter, with a simplified chin strap was also issued to vehicle crews.

Oh - I agree. We must have the red berets. I'm sure the mod community will sort this out. Perhaps CM can leave the mesh (or whatever it's called) for the beret in the game somewhere?

As another member stated those wearing soft (berets/beanies) headwear should suffer penalties

I think both the paras and the commandos had/have a tendency to wear their berets even in combat. After all, they denote that the wearer has passed through a very rigourous training programme.

In most of the photographs I have seen of British Paras in Normandy that look like they were taken in or near combat, the soldiers are wearing the steel helmet.

As previously stated, Commandos are a different story.

Whats the point of picture 18?It does not promote Commonwealth or Axis forces.There are already hundreds or screenshots and videos showing the landscape.Maybe there is a new type of tree or something?

Simple as that set of shots is part of a scenario/campaign overview set. Some don't show forces specific to the module, but they do show sceneries specific to it.

Of course the old fans don't need such persuation, but think of the newcomers! :)

Whats the point of picture 18?It does not promote Commonwealth or Axis forces.There are already hundreds or screenshots and videos showing the landscape.Maybe there is a new type of tree or something?

That's from the "How Not To Be Seen" training film. Very important for Commonwealth authenticity.