New Commonwealth screenshots.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

3865514400_808b1a5093_m.jpg3525908190_8ccb933d40_m.jpg3522582533_ea00bb52a6_m.jpg

I think the difference is that in the early days, they had a concern that the shroud lines of the parachute might get hung up on exposed equipment and the smock was intended to provide a smooth surface. In cases where it was clear that they wouldn't be jumping out of airplanes, wearing the webbing etc. on the outside where it would be more accessible would become the preferred option.

Michael

Ah yes, I see what you mean.

3865514400_808b1a5093_m.jpg3525908190_8ccb933d40_m.jpg3522582533_ea00bb52a6_m.jpg

Im not sure whether youre beeing ironical or actually agreeing with me.

But of the 3 photos only the right hand site one shows a (late) SS camo smock...

In the first picture you see to Wehrmacht Zeltbahns, with actually beeing worn with the Y-straps on.

The second one is from the famous KG Hansen series and the guy wears a M44 pea dot tunic.

Anyways, I never said it was impossible that the straps were being left off, but that there are loads of pics that prove that the Y-straps were often worn above the camo smock

that there are loads of pics that prove that the Y-straps were often worn above the camo smock

I'd have thought that wearing webbing under any form of clothing would be ... tactically imprudent. I can see jumping out of a plane with a smock over the top of everything, but would expect step 3 on reaching the ground, after releasing the 'chute and finding a weapon, would be to get your webbing back on the outside.

wearing the webbing beneath the camo smock was only done with the early M38 type smocks, which had flaps were you could stick ammo pouches through. I might find a picture where its actually done that way, but you're right, that concept wasn't very popular and was abandonned later on. So either you'd wear the straps over smock or not at all.

Parachute smocks are a complete different thing, and they weren't even in a camouflage pattern in the beginning. But I think the FJ had special jump equipment anyways and actually did wear straps.

There are a few common pics around from poland showing SS officers with their smocks rolled up at the waist to expose their waistbelt and holster under their smocks. Looks kinda funny.

On another note: Hey that King Tiger tank commander on the bridge is an infantry soldier? Did we towitize the rules and now we can send an infanteer to crew a tank?

On another note: Hey that King Tiger tank commander on the bridge is an infantry soldier? Did we towitize the rules and now we can send an infanteer to crew a tank?

I haven't seen the picture in question, but it was probably just temporary stand-in graphics.

No mate, the Luftwaffe field units are in but the FJ will show up in the Arnhem module I believe.

Oh..shame..I fancied some band of Brothers Caretan (excuse spelling) action.

Still we have the SS. I hope somehow the fanatic status of these troops is somehow coded into the game.

Still we have the SS. I hope somehow the fanatic status of these troops is somehow coded into the game.

It is already, right there in the editor...you just choose the fanatic label for motivation.

Mord.

Hi all. Message for Battlefront post sight of the very encouraging Commonwealth beta screenshots. The Mark 11 Helmet exposed a fair bit of the wearer hair line. 1944 Brit army haircut was a real short back and sides, not the the rather 70's look as shown in the screenshots. Many British Infantry Battalions in Normandy used a lot of scrim( hessian strips) to break up the helmet outline (whether Mark II or III) as did the Paras. There are loads of photos available to illustrate. Is it too late for BF to model the above into the live version or are these issues for the modding community post release?

Rokko -- No sarcasm intended. I'm no uniform grog -- just seen a lot of photos and tend to go by what I thought I saw.... until I don't :b

And as to haircuts, after a couple weeks in the field I'd think your average Tom would be lucky to get a shave in, much less the old "short back and sides" (aka "high and tight" for the Yanks). Happy to be proved wrong though.