Sign in to follow this  
John Kettler

Stupendous ammo dump explosion at Krasnoyarsk

Don't know what caused it or why, but the ammo dump explosion in Krasnoyarsk dwarfed the US M.O.A.B detonation video I've seen. In fact, this is the single biggest non-nuclear explosion I know of, and the yield absolutely has to be at least kiloton range, which puts it well into the nuclear weapon level blast effects. Don't know what formation that ammo dump (doubtless a huge, sprawling complex) supported, but the weapon plants are likely to be working around the clock to replace an immense amount of ordnance, which the video shows definitely included rockets. To me, that looks like an air-to-ground rocket, so this may be a Russian Air Force facility or a Red Army facility which also has those for helicopter use.

Regards,

John Kettler

I recall back in 1991 Norman Schwarzkopf gave a live public briefing about the Gulf War (liberation of Kuwait). At one point he was talking about the US hitting an Iraqi ammo dump and compared the resulting explosion to a particularly infamous ammo dump explosion in Russia, which he named. His comment was broadcast live but is deleted from existing videos of the speech. Look up the briefing and watch the video. Not only is his comment about the Russian ammo dump explosion deleted, the film was edited so you would never know that there was a break.

ikalugin,

Thanks for that. Please post anything else you can on this, as am keenly interested. Found this. Losing 40,000 rounds worth of 122 and 152 powder charges, plus maybe the shells as well, will put a dent in both military capabilities and the defense budget. As noted earlier, that rocket which landed on the road now shows conclusively there was more in that depot than just powder charges w/wo shells. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/a-russian-ammunition-dump-exploded-injuring-multiple-people-2019-8

Wicky,

Ref first, what a gloriously twisted link! The video was excellent, I thought. There's a guy named Stanton Friedman who worked on NERVA, the Atomic Plane and a bunch of highly classified other stuff. Bet he'd be worth talking to about that missile--except that he died on May 19th this year! 

MikeyD,

Would be willing to bet Stormin' Norman was referring to was the destruction of the Red Banner Northern Fleet's main ammo depot near Severomorsk. The numbers the blogger quoted on the extent of the munitions lost seems highly conservative to me, since Jane's Defense Review said something to the effect that the Red Banner Northern Fleet was left with zero missile reloads. Fairly sure there was a satellite pic of some sort, too. LANDSAT? Recall gasping loudly over the sheer extent of the destruction. From what I know of Soviet and Warsaw Pact ammo dumps and such, they were poorly protected against spread of fires and blast compared to ours, making an explosion anywhere sure to be catastrophic over a large area. Here's what I mean. There were no guards on this site at all when the pic was taken! Hope some were put there after the pic surfaced, but if not, it's Walmart for terrorists.

storage-transportation-of-ammunition-rus

I deem the official explanation to be the rankest BS. No idea why the reference Stormin' Norman made would've been deleted from the videos and whatnot, unless some overly zealous censor thought the general had made a gaffe by disclosing classified information, which he hadn't.

https://redbannernorthernfleet.blogspot.com/2008/05/soviet-naval-disaster-of-day.html

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

2 hours ago, John Kettler said:

ikalugin,

Thanks for that. Please post anything else you can on this, as am keenly interested. Found this. Losing 40,000 rounds worth of 122 and 152 powder charges, plus maybe the shells as well, will put a dent in both military capabilities and the defense budget. As noted earlier, that rocket which landed on the road now shows conclusively there was more in that depot than just powder charges w/wo shells. 
John Kettler

This may sound like a lot, but this is a fairly small ammo dump by ammo dump standards and in a way has solved that specific ammo disposal problem faster than intended.

Edited by ikalugin

On 8/13/2019 at 6:25 AM, John Kettler said:

In fact, this is the single biggest non-nuclear explosion I know of

8th Feb 2015 - huge explosion on Donetsk State chemical products factory (produced HE for industry and military). The factory was located on north-western outskirt of Donetsk, big amont of HE was stored under open sky. During a fire exchange, Ukraianian SPG-9 shell  made overshot and accidentally hit one of HE stock. Shokwawe from the explosion is felt in 20 km around.  

Edited by Haiduk