• Announcements

• Battlefront.com

Special Upgrade 4 Tech Tips   12/27/2016

Hi all! Now that Upgrade 4 is out and about in large quantities we have now discovered a few SNAFUs that happen out in the scary, real world that is home computing.  Fortunately the rate of problems is extremely small and so far most are easily worked around.  We've identified a few issues that have similar causes which we have clear instructions for work arounds here they are: 1.  CMRT Windows customers need to re-license their original key.  This is a result of improvements to the licensing system which CMBN, CMBS, and CMFB are already using.  To do this launch CMRT with the Upgrade and the first time enter your Engine 4 key.  Exit and then use the "Activate New Products" shortcut in your CMRT folder, then enter your Engine 3 license key.  That should do the trick. 2.  CMRT and CMBN MacOS customers have a similar situation as #2, however the "Activate New Products" is inside the Documents folder in their respective CM folders.  For CMBN you have to go through the process described above for each of your license keys.  There is no special order to follow. 3.  For CMBS and CMFB customers, you need to use the Activate New Products shortcut and enter your Upgrade 4 key.  If you launch the game and see a screen that says "LICENSE FAILURE: Base Game 4.0 is required." that is an indication you haven't yet gone through that procedure.  Provided you had a properly functioning copy before installing the Upgrade, that should be all you need to do.  If in the future you have to install from scratch on a new system you'll need to do the same procedure for both your original license key and your Upgrade 4.0 key. 4.  There's always a weird one and here it is.  A few Windows users are not getting "Activate New Products" shortcuts created during installation.  Apparently anti-virus software is preventing the installer from doing its job.  This might not be a problem right now, but it will prove to be an issue at some point in the future.  The solution is to create your own shortcut using the following steps: Disable your anti-virus software before you do anything. Go to your Desktop, right click on the Desktop itself, select NEW->SHORTCUT, use BROWSE to locate the CM EXE that you are trying to fix. The location is then written out. After it type in a single space and then paste this:

-showui

Click NEXT and give your new Shortcut a name (doesn't matter what). Confirm that and you're done. Double click on the new Shortcut and you should be prompted to license whatever it is you need to license. At this time we have not identified any issues that have not been worked around.  Let's hope it stays that way Steve
Apocal

Getting back into scenario making.

8 posts in this topic

I've decided to stop talking about it and be about it when it comes to making small(er) scale scenarios and (possibly, in the future) a full FMB-style campaign. Just one minor hiccup: I don't really know how to make maps very well in CMx2. That's OK though, practice makes perfect and all.

The scenario I'm aiming for:

On 5/26/2014 at 6:53 AM, JasonC said:

Russian exploitation vs alarm units. The small Russian force should be based around a single platoon of T-34s with SMG riders. They may also have a couple of BA-64 armored cars, recon infantry split into 1/2 squads in jeeps (simulates motorcycle infantry), maybe 1 US halftrack carrying heavy weapons. The Russians are in road column - there should be more than one road route across the map and the Russians should have a choice of routes available. The Germans should get a grab bag - a reduced pioneer platoon e.g., Flak guns (potentially both heavy and light, but only 1 88 if they have heavy), a few tank hunter teams with panzerfausts. Give the Germans a "reaction" force based around 1 StuG and 1 infantry platoon that arrives from side or rear in the middle of the fight. Russians are trying to shoot up the Germans and punch across the map, Germans to stop them.

So the broad "concept art" of my first map, after twenty minutes of work. 1600x832 meters. I haven't yet begun placing trees and the map itself is basically flat (just a bit over 10m total elevation difference throughout and all of it gradual) but I basically have two routes through a sunken wooded area broken by marshes. The German setup zone is basically three-quarters of the map itself with the Soviet starting areas largely restricted to the roads.

1) What kind of trees should I use for this map supposed to be set in Belarus?

2) Should there be marshes involved or are they superfluous/incompatible with heavy forest in real Belorussian terrain? Should they only correspond to locations that are at or below "sea level" in CMx2 map terms (I know you can't get 0 elevation) or is a slight rise to them acceptable?

3) Did the Russian mech actually exploit against opposition through such terrain? This is the third question instead of the first because I'm not too hung up on historical reality as I am interesting tactical situations but I still want some plausibility involved. I know they had to traverse it at some point, but I'm unsure if it was actually against forces that could check them or simply an admin move through broken, minimal and uncoordinated resistance.

edit: I just realized I sort of forcibly split the player force, particularly reinforcements, with the big mass of heavy woods in the far eastern side of the map, so I'm going to cut some routes through that, using roads so bogging isn't as much a concern.

parallel pursuit map.png

6 hours ago, Apocal said:

1) What kind of trees should I use for this map supposed to be set in Belarus?

My suggestion would be to load some of the stock CMRT scenarios into the editor and have a look at what kind of trees the 'pro' designers used...

And as a personal prefrence atleast...Try to mix the trees somewhat...Don't use only one type of tree all over the forrest...That looks a bit 'cartoony'/ boring imo...

Even if its a pine forrest...some variaty would be welcome...

A Little something i found...

bellarus_zpscxf0vnav.jpg

Good luck with the scenario ! Good initiativ to get cracking with this..:)

I use Google Earth to get a flavor of the local kind of vegetation along with one of the editor object guides to pick trees/bushes as well as the most appropriate kind of buildings. Regarding marshes, it depends, but consider the massive Pripyat Marshes in Belarus and one can imagine that marsh terrain might be commonplace in certain areas.

I'd have a look at @George MC's Tankovyi Desanti (or sumfink like that) in the editor which bundled with the game.  It has a similar force mix and a superb map and like all of his work, inevitably is a superb scenario.

Map is done-ish. I cut a few footpaths through so forces can shift from one side to the other. Not in ideal locations though, which is something I'm sure real commanders dealt with. The terrain doesn't look anywhere near as good as George's though; mostly because I'm not a great map-maker but in small part due to the fact it is hard to make a forest look "good" without breaking it up a bunch and most accounts of Belarus stress that there were huge stretches of completely untamed forests, even in the vicinity of population centers. Whole areas left untouched just because no one could be bothered. It isn't readily apparent from the screenshot but I included two different types of trees in my woods.

Outside of the map, I realized one situation during Bagration applies; the early breakthrough battles around Bobruisk as Soviet's 1st Byelorussian Front raced to encircle and take the city before the German Ninth Army could stage a breakout attempt with the assistance of the 20th PD. In real life, the 20th PD was swiftly withdrawn to launch a counterattack further to the south but I'm guessing there were still StuG battalions operating with the Ninth Army. I gave the German force a fictitious designation of KG Roth to avoid having to dig deep, not exactly unreasonable that there would be all sorts of kampfgruppes and alarm units popping up all over the place. The Soviets still have a generic force name, but I'm thinking I might just title them "Forward Detachment."

Now I've just got to finish the briefings and it will be H2H ready. AI play will have to wait a bit longer while I deal with triggers and pathing and silly AI tricks, etc.

parallel pursuit map.jpg

parallel pursuit map2.jpg

hello...

A few observations/thoughts...

- Although i'm pretty certain that swamps could be found at different eleveations i do belive that the terrain of the actual swamps will need to be fairly level. Looking at your last pictures it seems as if the map is slooping a fair bit to the left (even the swamp areas) ....I may very well be wrong about this though...but slooping swamps looks a bit strange to me.

- A bit of vegitation in- and around the larger swamps might be a good idea...not to much...but a few bloobs of small trees and some bushes maybe.

- Maybe a few scattered, small trees/bushes along the left road in the wider areas...

These would be my suggestions...something to considder ;)

Even in an untouched forest, there are usually patches that are open and patches that are dense. So it's better to break up forests and not only use light/heavy forest tiles, but also include tall grass and weeds in places, combined with patches of shrubbery.

Also I would recommend being careful not to place too many trees in each tile. I find fewer trees make for better looks and gameplay and also it's easier on the computer.

2 hours ago, RepsolCBR said:

hello...

A few observations/thoughts...

- Although i'm pretty certain that swamps could be found at different eleveations i do belive that the terrain of the actual swamps will need to be fairly level. Looking at your last pictures it seems as if the map is slooping a fair bit to the left (even the swamp areas) ....I may very well be wrong about this though...but slooping swamps looks a bit strange to me.

The actual marsh (deep marsh) is level. The light, sorta blue-green stuff I use as the precusor, to show where the transition where gross boggy stuff kills off most vegetation before becoming actual marsh.

46 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

Even in an untouched forest, there are usually patches that are open and patches that are dense. So it's better to break up forests and not only use light/heavy forest tiles, but also include tall grass and weeds in places, combined with patches of shrubbery.

Also I would recommend being careful not to place too many trees in each tile. I find fewer trees make for better looks and gameplay and also it's easier on the computer.

There are actually sparse breaks and such throughout the forest, but it isn't really clear from the screenshot. But I'll take it up a notch. And only maybe 10% of the wood tiles have the dense tree setting, the majority are sparse with perhaps 25-33% being middling dense. It's just hard to find an angle where that much is obvious.

Taking the rest of the stuff into account and fixes being made as I type this.

marsh.jpg

Edited by Apocal