A Complete List of Combat Mission Scenarios

The above is the goal (see special note about ShockForce and Afghanistan below*).  This is a new project and while some people have looked it over and helped me fix mistakes I expect there are more to find.  My request is that if you find a mistake please let me know - post here or send me a PM. You will notice that there are still quite a few scenarios missing the author's name - one thing I have not done is open those scenarios and read the briefing I hope to get there eventually. If you find your scenario listed but I have the credit wrong or credit is missing - contact me.  If you find a scenario that is the wrong version - contact where your file is uploaded to and get it fixed and me too just in case I have an old version.  If you have a scenario that is available but not listed here put it some where permanent (note I do *not* consider a drop box link permanent) and let me know.  I monitor new additions to the scenario depot and theBlitz so you only need to tell me about new stuff that you host in other places.

Check it out here: http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com

Enjoy!

What this site is

It is supposed to be a search-able sort-able list of all scenarios for CombatMission games. It combines a list of all stock scenarios and all downloadable scenarios from the old repository, the new scenario depot with information from play result information from theBlitz.

What this site is not

It is not a source for uploading or downloading scenarios.  This site does not host anything it only provides links to where the files are hosted.

A little background

The site is totally generated from the .btt and .cam files along with some data files with ulrs, author's names.  What I have done is created directories for each game and organized the .btt files into Scenario, Map, and QB Map sub-directorires and the .cam files in to a campaign directory.  I place the additional data (urls, authors names) into appropriately named files. I have a simple system of scripts that run @Mad Mike's scan tool to produce xml data for the scenario files which I then process into html pages using xslt.  So, when new content is released all I need to do is copy the .btt or .cam file to the right location add an entry with the additional data for the new file and run a script which creates the new html and ftps it to my web server.

* CM ShockForce and CM Afghanistan are not included.  This is because the scan tool does not handle those files.  There is talk that CMSF will be updated and @MadMike says he would consider updating the scanner for those files when that happens.  When he does I'll add CMSF to the site.  I don't think there is much hope of Afghanistan being added but again - if the scan tool is updated to handle it I'll add it to the site.

Nice project, very useful to get an overview of what's out there.

However, I noticed it picked up my latest scenario, but not the one I did before, even though they are both hosted on the Scenario Depot at the fewgoodmen site.

By the way I wonder if it's worth listing all the scenarios, campaigns, and quick battle maps that come with the games? Presumably people will already have those installed.

Edited by Bulletpoint

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

However, I noticed it picked up my latest scenario, but not the one I did before, even though they are both hosted on the Scenario Depot at the fewgoodmen site.

Well lets fix that. :) Can you point me to the page on the Scenario Depot for the missing scenario.  Please.

5 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

By the way I wonder if it's worth listing all the scenarios, campaigns, and quick battle maps that come with the games? Presumably people will already have those installed.

Yes, but if you want to play a scenario where a bridge is the objective then you will probably want to search for scenarios you have and those you don't.  As an example.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, what a great site!!  It must have taken a lot of time and effort to put together.  I just spent the last 45 minutes looking around in the site and only got a small way through it.  I never realized how many scenarios I have not played.  I bookmarked it for myself but it should probably be stickied so it is easy for people to find.  Thanks for doing this. 

• 6 months later...

Thanks guys. @Mad Mike deserves a lot of the credit too. He gave me the idea with his scenario scanner. I made a bunch of suggestions to allow the data extracted from his tool to be easily used to create a site like this while at the same time preserving his goal of a standalone browser page for a scan. He took up my ideas and has since fixed bugs and even let me fix bugs. That whole site is a framework for the navigation and searching surrounding his outstanding work to read the data from the scenario files.

6 hours ago, IanL said:

Thanks guys. @Mad Mike deserves a lot of the credit too. He gave me the idea with his scenario scanner. I made a bunch of suggestions to allow the data extracted from his tool to be easily used to create a site like this while at the same time preserving his goal of a standalone browser page for a scan. He took up my ideas and has since fixed bugs and even let me fix bugs. That whole site is a framework for the navigation and searching surrounding his outstanding work to read the data from the scenario files.

Thanks, Ian. Great work there!

It'll be interesting to see, how complete my scenario collection is.

One thought, however: Did you consider to add some sort of rating tool? I understand, it will probably be difficult to get some sort of relevant or fair rating, but it may be helpful nevertheless to see, if people liked or disliked a scenario.

52 minutes ago, IanL said:

Actually I would prefer not to get into that game (two sites already have that). If you follow the link to the information on the Scenario Depot you can see the rating there. Or you can do the same for those scenarios that have been played at the Blitz.

Fair enough. As I said: Just a thought.

Any rating would probably not produce very reliable data anyway.

But obviously, I like the idea to have all relevant info in one place.

• 2 years later...

Fun update. With the release of Shock Force 2 @Mad Mike updated his scanner tool to correctly handle the new files. I quietly updated the site to include new and updated Shock Force scenarios and campaigns. At the time I cooked up a scheme to manually update all the old files too. That proved a bit unworkable so I was wondering where that would go when I discovered that the new tool mostly doesn't die looking at old file so with a few tweaks I managed to get a full scan of all the old scenarios and all but two campaigns. There are some issues. You will see plenty of "unknown" strings in the tables - the new scanner does not get the correct information for all fields and likely will not so this we will have to live with. Also there are now even more scenarios that don't have a home (that I know of) on the web. I still owe @Bootie a list of such files so we can reconcile them.

Check it out here (321 scenarios, 25 campaigns etc.):

http://www.combatmission.lesliesoftware.com/ShockForce/Scenarios/index.html