Katusha: Girl Soldier of the Great Patriotic War

JonS

Anyone interested in the topic should definitely read Svetlana Alexiyevich "War's Unwomanly Face". Consists of testimonies from several hundred women who served during the war. Their experiences in the army, on the battlefield and how they were maltreated by society after the war, despite being highly respected during the war. A fitting sub title could have been "No Woman is the Hero of the Motherland". It is a sad but enlightning read.

I read Vansant's book on the Bulge and enjoyed it. I might give this a go as well. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone interested in the topic should definitely read Svetlana Alexiyevich "War's Unwomanly Face". Consists of testimonies from several hundred women who served during the war. Their experiences in the army, on the battlefield and how they were maltreated by society after the war, despite being highly respected during the war. A fitting sub title could have been "No Woman is the Hero of the Motherland". It is a sad but enlightning read.

I read Vansant's book on the Bulge and enjoyed it. I might give this a go as well. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone interested in women in the great patriotic war should examine "Women in War and Resistance - Selected Biographies of Soviet Women Soldiers" by Kazimiera J Cotnam. ISBN - 968270220

JonS,

Thank you for this. Those simple words struck a deep chord within me, and my eyes welled, too. IRemember.ru has some accounts by Russian female soldiers, and not just snipers. There is, for example, an interview with the leader of the famous Night Witches. There is one from a tanker, another from a medic, and I forget what else. The site is now quite pretty visually, but site functionality has suffered. The all-important soldier category headers are very much there while on the primary Russian side, but gone from the English side, making finding things tough. I found this vid quite some time back, and between the pics and "Kalinka," it moved me almost to tears. 

http://www.military.com/video/forces/military-foreign-forces/russian-female-soldiers-wwii/3270910232001/

Elena's War, a prize-winning scholarly essay on Russian female soldiers in combat in the GPW. A story, I think, very much in need of telling. Along the same lines, here's  another scholarly study, this one from The Journal of Military History.  It looks at the WW II role of women in the US, Great Britain, Germany and the Soviet Union. There is quite a lot of material online, including a brief bio of seven Russian female tankers of the GPW

rocketman,

Definitely something I'd be interested in seeing. The author of this photo-story book on Russian women soldiers of the GPW now living in Belarus was directly inspired by the work you named.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Really, Kettler?

Is it really necessary to make every thread about you?  Is it really necessary to pollute every thread with your facile "analysis"? Is it really necessary to vomit up yet another worthless collection of googled links?

Really?

Really, Kettler?

Is it really necessary to make every thread about you?  Is it really necessary to pollute every thread with your facile "analysis"? Is it really necessary to vomit up yet another worthless collection of googled links?

Really?

I think he just thanked you for sharing...?

• 3 weeks later...

Wayne vansant's graphic novels rock though i havent got katyusha yet. i have his work on the pacific "Days of darkness" and "Days of Wrath" along with "Knights of the Skull" a small series on the waffen ss. All of it is really gritty very authtenic and give you glimpse of how brutal and unforgiving war is.

Is it really necessary to vomit up yet another worthless collection of googled links?

Really?

Isnt your katushagirlsoldier.com link also just some quickly googeled semi-offtopic stuff and just slapped here without any context or information ?

I think these graphic novels are really great. My younger son is very interested in what happened in the Pacific during WW2 so I just ordered him the Wayne Vansant's "Days of Darkness" book. Of course I will have to check it out and make sure it is cool first! :D

The classic - "I'll get a present for someone else that I can enjoy myself". Good one kohlenklau.

Glad you like Katusha!!! (I'm the publisher)

We just made a trailer for Katusha Book Two, which is the book that has the most tank battles (until Book Three comes out later this year).  There's over 150 drawings of tanks, battles, and other action on the Eastern Front packed in with a killer rendition of the classic Soviet anthem "Katyusha" as the soundtrack:

https://youtu.be/KMUUNs3UkoU

Glad you like Katusha!!! (I'm the publisher)

We just made a trailer for Katusha Book Two, which is the book that has the most tank battles (until Book Three comes out later this year).  There's over 150 drawings of tanks, battles, and other action on the Eastern Front packed in with a killer rendition of the classic Soviet anthem "Katyusha" as the soundtrack:

https://youtu.be/KMUUNs3UkoU

I've bought both your Kathusha books and loved them. What a pleasure to read. I'm eagerly anticipating the third! Well done!