The future of user made scenarios – and the lack of community feedback

umlaut

One day we' ll all die. You will die, i will die, slysniper will die and one day our sun will die and mankind as a whole with it. And if that isnt enough, one day the universe will come to its end, and as space and time as we know them cease to exist, everything everyone will have ever done will lose its meaning as causality breaks apart. All the things we do to stay alive as an individual and as a species, like eating, drinking and having sex are hence nothing but futile attempts to delay the inevitable, though i would not want to live a single day without them, or would you?

For those who worry that (historically authentic) wargaming is a hobby with an aging, declining player base, there may be hope! (Financial Times blog, nothing racy, although I do have a geeky crush on Izabella K).

Come on you apes! Do you want to live forever?

p125.jpg

Edited by LongLeftFlank

As Hawking said or something to this effect Fear of death is for people who are afraid of the dark. I can't even imagine living 200 years. I'd never get to friggin retirement. Technology moves so damn fast I am already struggling to figure out where my particular career is going and I am only 8 years (I hope) away from retirement. I don't want to live longer, just better.

I can't even imagine living 200 years. I'd never get to friggin retirement. Technology moves so damn fast I am already struggling to figure out where my particular career is going and I am only 8 years (I hope) away from retirement. I don't want to live longer, just better.

This reminds of the Star Trek Voyager episode "Death Wish". The Q are a species in Star Trek that are immortal and nearly omnipotent and have existed since time began. Yet they wish for death because there is nothing to do for them anymore that they havent done already and there are no thoughts for them to think anymore that they havent thought already. It the episode, one of the Q says that he has been standing in a wheat field as a scarecorw for over 2 millenia simply because he hadnt done that yet and he wanted to experience what it' s like to be a scarecrow.

As Hawking said or something to this effect Fear of death is for people who are afraid of the dark.

Personally i am less afraid of death itself than dieing in an unpleasant way. There are really lots of nasty ways to go: cancer, accidents, murder, torture, etc. I would prefer to just peacefully fall asleep and never wake up again.

Edited by agusto

geez just think of the issues.  We'd HAVE to institute global population controls...yeah that is gonna go over well.  We can't even negotiate carbon emissions to stop destroying our habitat.  Then you have the usual variation in access to medicine between rich and poor, first and third world. You would have this older ageless population in some versus a population with a shorter life span elsewhere.....

and then where do you find the young 19 year olds fresh out of high school to fight your wars?

Humanity has to fundamentally change before we are ready for this.

Battlestar Galactica, I loved that show! Caprica Six (the blonde Cylon wearing the red dress who can be seen in the background of your pic) may be a cold blooded manipulative murderous sociopathic religious fanatic, but damn she looks hot. I still kinda envy Gaius Baltar...

Edited by agusto

Well I understand what Umlaut was saying. and like many others stated of usually designing things for yourself.  I created "Clash of Titans Redux2" because I wanted to pit the Tiger II, vs the JSII.  The map got out of hand and just got bigger... details got bigger.. and when I got done and now correctly tested, thought others may want to see many tanks explode... in a challenging way.  "Brandenburger Surprise" was my next Scenario, after marathoning the Dirty Dozen, Kelly's Hero's and Force 10 from Navarone... I thought about a couple previous books I had read about the German Special Forces... Brandenburger's.  Also in reading the forums I saw many wanting small unit actions.

I really do enjoy making Scenarios, even though for the most part they are Hypothetical.. still very fun and will continue to do them.  I have two in the works as of now.. one is being play tested for Head to Head only,

Feedback is important for me only on how I can do a scenario better, or if it was challenging and fun for the player or players.  If I get feed back that's great, if not, oh well, I will still make them because I like doing it.

...Then you have the usual variation in access to medicine between rich and poor, first and third world. You would have this older ageless population in some versus a population with a shorter life span elsewhere.....

Which pretty much describes the situation as it is now don't you think?

Post retracted- forgot we weren't in the MBT.  What a shame as it was gonna be an epic put down of stupendous proportions and would have resulted in you donning a doody hat.

I think you are rather too enamored with doody, perhaps it was some slight during your childhood, or parental neglect.

Slide on over there, I'll give you your shot.

Edited by Nidan1

Which pretty much describes the situation as it is now don't you think?

not quite.  Similar but it becomes extreme.  And then there is the really weird s**t - right now Japanese teenagers have a huge influence in global pop marketing.  What happens when there aren't any Japanese teenagers?  Oh my god, will Hello Kitty finally fade?  The tragic loss to humanity is incalculable.

But seriously - how do you fight wars when you aren't cranking out 18-19 year olds to serve?  Do we start recruiting older soldiers because we don't have to even worry about them having kids.  It is a sci fi rich world.

What happens to a 20 year old sentenced to live imprisonment who lives to be 2-300 years old?

But seriously - how do you fight wars when you aren't cranking out 18-19 year olds to serve?  Do we start recruiting older soldiers because we don't have to even worry about them having kids.  It is a sci fi rich world.

What happens to a 20 year old sentenced to live imprisonment who lives to be 2-300 years old?

Easy: drones.

And you might like to read 'Old Man's War' from John Scalzi(?) (if you like SciFi). I won't spoil it but it has a good answer to your question (and it's a good book, too)

• 4 weeks later...