Hetzers

kensal

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am right there with you. That was the first vehicle I looked for on the German list.

Mord.

P.S. Those hot pants really set off your hips.

Did anyone notice that the JagdTiger was missing among the list? I know they are rare but they should still be there. unless I missed it. Also the Elefent was still in combat.. albeit only a handful with the 653rd Heavy Pzjager.Abt. There are pictures of them in 1944 still in combat.

To the best of my knowledge the Jagdtiger never saw combat on the Eastern Front.

There were 2 companies of Elephants attached to the XXIV Panzer Corps on the East Front, April to August 1944. I don't know what actions they participated in, but they were there so they probably should be in CMRT. They also fought in the Vistula–Oder Offensive in January 1945 and later in the Battle of Berlin.

Would 'harrier' be a good translation? It sounds like that's what you are talking about.

Michael

Kind of, although i had to first look up what a 'Harrier' is before iu could agree to this :D.

To 'hetzen' means to speed something up - with a whip or similar. ;)

Or what dogs do in a fox hunt or battue.

http://dict.leo.org/ende/index_de.html#/search=hetzen&searchLoc=0&resultOrder=basic&multiwordShowSingle=on

The image of a bunch of dogs chasing a single fox in a hunt was exactly the image i had in my mind when i tried to describe what 'Hetzer' could translate too.

Like on the image below, where the dogs are the 'Hetzers'

purgau-philipp-johann-von-act-tierhatz-1409704.jpg

Hated by the crews, but judged as surprisingly successful.

Which is understandable: small, a good and fast gun, quick and good front armor (60 mm@60° - that is more than 120 mm effective thickness!).

A bit late to jump in, but i still want to add that this seems to be a often repeated myth.

The Hetzer had a very bad power/weight-ratio. This combined with a frontheavy weight distribution and an almost overloaded suspension system made this maschine anything but a fast and mobile hunter.