Aris Vehicle Thread...

I'm interested in the answer to that as well...it's really hard to move the uni folder from CMFI into CMBN.

BTW outstanding work, Aris...you've out done yourself with the fire and smoke and tracers.

Mord.

Do Aris' uniforms also work in CMBN?

Just transfer the bmp uniform textures. I used the stock CMFI Germen uniforms, mostly the pants, for some more variety for my CMBN Germans. The whole uniform works too. Just remember to use the naming conventions for CMBN. The equipment is done a little differently in CMFI, but IIRC, you can cut\paste the individual pieces into the German gear textures.

I thought about the possibility of creating a CMBN version of my Uniform mod. But I much prefer the splinter, dotted, camouflaged patterns I have now in BN than those field grey, yellowish from FI. Normandy looks better with tricoloured muddy uniforms to me, ;). As to german gear, mjkerner is right, all 50 small BMPs from FI were just 1 (one!) in BN. So it's a matter of filling that single BMP with gear textures from my mod, like a jigsaw...

German uniforms in CMFI Sicily are the same tropical ones used in Africa. They were made in cotton in a olive green shade for the Heer (it shaded to sand to almost white over time but it was really olive green when new) and a sand one for the Luftwaffe.

Uniforms in CMBN are made in wool in a Feldgrau color (greyish green) very different from the olive green used on Heer tropical gartments. There were lots of Feldgrau shades, specially at the end of the war as the cloth quality degraded by losing more and more wool until there was a minimum. Sometimes Italian wool was also used, specially for SS Feldblusen which made a masive use of it for the last year of the war, so another shade of Feldgrau, the Italian one, was also added to the mix.

In summmer cotton HBT uniforms in a "redgreen" shade, in fact a quite green Feldgrau, were also used by the Heer from 1943 onwards. It is the uniform, in the Panzer version, used by Heer Panzer crews in CMFI Sicily.

The Waffen-SS made extensive use of camo gartments, from smocks and helmet covers to complete uniforms (the socalled "dot-pattern" or "pea pattern" one introduced in late 43) in all SS camo patterns (no helmet covers were made in "dot-pattern" though) and even the Italian one (mostly by the 1.SS and 2.SS which had been deployed in North Italy for a time) , but the Heer did not. There were smocks and helmet covers in Heer Splinter pattern and "Marsh" pattern as well, but they were not as common as the Waffen-SS ones. Most Heer soldiers fought with no other camo gartments but their Zeltbahnen.

Custom-made camo uniforms were made for the Heer and the Waffen-SS as well. Sometimes they were ordered for an unit or even made by, but most of the time they were individually ordered so they were rare and unique.

Tropical gartments were in use all across South Europe, from Southern France, to Italy, the Aegean, Crete and the rest of Greek islands and mainland Greece right to the end of the war, so expect a mix of wool and tropical gartments for German soldiers in mainland Italy fighting in Spring-Summer-Fall for future modules. However do NOT expect them in Normandy/Market-Garden. AFAIK no tropical gartment was ever used there. Having lots of camo for Heer troops in Normandy would be unrealistic, but having tropical gartments there would be just a fantasy.

Glad to see the Allies are next.

Your German uniform weathering and gear mods are superb. I am not good at camouflage usage and history, but before your uniform mod came out I found out that the STOPPEL camouflage mod (http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4779/details) added a bit of nice flavor to the German soldiers (camo pants and helmets). I wonder if it would be possible to apply your weathering and include them in your German uniform mod? I am not sure if these cam patterns are historically correct tho (Fernando probably knows), if they are not - please ignore my request :)

Glad to see the Allies are next.

Your German uniform weathering and gear mods are superb. I am not good at camouflage usage and history, but before your uniform mod came out I found out that the STOPPEL camouflage mod (http://cmmods.greenasjade.net/mods/4779/details) added a bit of nice flavor to the German soldiers (camo pants and helmets). I wonder if it would be possible to apply your weathering and include them in your German uniform mod? I am not sure if these cam patterns are historically correct tho (Fernando probably knows), if they are not - please ignore my request :)

They are not historically correct for Sicily. In mainland Italy a mix of all uniforms available were used. However no factory made pants in camo pattern were ever made. Individuals and sometimes whole units could custom-made them, but they were uncommon, included different gartment patterns (having a left leg pocket, a copy of the British Battle dress pants, was very popular among the Germans who ordered their custom-made pants), most of the time they were restricted to officer and senior NCO's and never became standard issue. The only exceptions were the pants which came with the Waffen-SS dot-pattern uniform and the winter pants coming with the winter parka. Both pants were camoed (the winter ones from winter 43/44 onwards) but that's all IIRC.

However I don't discard having trousers in Italian camo pattern for some CMFI German platoon/company leaders fighting in mainland Italy. They might give an "Italian Theater" touch to German uniforms. However there is a problem: sometimes those leaders wear jackboots and nothing looks uglier than camo pants+jackboots. There are pics of German soldiers wearing them (you can find a pic of almost everything regarding German uniforms) but it was really uncommon.

As a side note: The dot pattern uniform came with NO helmet cover. In fact no one was ever made in dot-pattern. Most people thing that current specimens, which are almoist non-existant, are post-war copies or privately made. Lack of helmet cover means soldiers wearing a dot-pattern uniform were forced to reuse their old helmet covers in older camos (oak, platanemuster etc.) or wear no helmet cover at all. That's also the reason SS helmets sometimes were painted. New recruits getting a dot-pattern uniform most of the time didn't have an old helmet cover on hand so some of them painted their helmets to camo them.

Actually, some mods can decrease performance, and all increase the game load time slightly.

That said, 99% of the time you won't notice.

Any mod that uses a lot of alpha will significantly decrease game peformance. The only one I know of for sure is the Translucent Trees - that definitely slows the frame rate. There may be other more subtle ones.

I don't know whether Ari's have any of this - I doubt whether a bit of alpha on a few vehicles is going to have a noticeable effect anyhow (the trees is significant due to the sheer number of them).

GaJ

Mods may slow down (few seconds,...) loading times, (after all, the exe loads whatever it finds in Z) but once ingame, the difference is not noticeable. 3D objects are huge frame rate eaters. Trees and foliage, specially, and making them translucent or not is not going to improve performance since 3D objects are still there (although transparent). Huge battles, with many soldiers, logically slow down performance too, but not because there are many textures, but because there are many 3D objects and polygons.