[WIP-PREVIEW] Tanks a Lot's Normandy buildings

Juju

Once again...FANTASTIC.

How soon until we get to see these fantastic creations?

Thanks. I'm more or less done with 12 of the 16 regular, independent houses. I'd like to finish the last 4 before releasing anything. It's too hard to predict when all 16 will be done, maybe 2-3 months, no guarantees though.

Here's a screenshot of my latest one:

b15.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TaL... These are absolutely spectacular!!! With Aris' terrain and weathered vehicle mods, Mord's excellent work, Juju's UI and a host of other great mods/modders, buildings are the only thing missing from making the graphics in this game top notch.

That said, I have a couple of questions pertaining to buildings in particular and modding in general. I hope I don't wind up hijacking the thread...

Still working on them, here's the latest:

b13.jpg

First, has BFC ever answered the question of cover provided by different types of buildings? I know that building cover was improved with the release of v1.10, but has anyone ever determined if an obviously stone structure, such as the one above, provides more protection than the one below which looks to me to be more of a stucco treatment? Logically, a stone structure is going to stop more bullets and generally hold up to HE better than wood and plaster, but I've never been able to see if this is actually happening in the game. I don't recall BFC ever answering the question and don't remember seeing anyone having reported on tests of this sort.

b15.jpg

My second question has to do with Hi-Def mods. Is creating an HD mod simply a matter of increasing the resolution of the bitmap file, with possibly some sharpening and contrast adjustments, shadow enhancements, etc? I'm not really looking for an in-depth answer, just a little guidance in the right direction. I have a reasonably good grasp of Photoshop and I know how easy it is to spend hours and hours making adjustments, tweaking channels, blending and layering... I just don't want to waste those hours by wandering off on the wrong tangent.

Thanks in advance for any help and, again, I apologize if I'm stealing this thread... Rake

I can't answer the first question just because my CM time is usually modding related. But as far as the second question about hi-def (or Hi res in CMx1 days) I say it mostly has to do with the size of the bmps. The bigger the BMP the more detail that can be added to the textures. It's always been done by doubling or quadrupling the size of the file.

And thanks for the compliment.

Mord.

@Rake:

Thanks for the comments. For your 1st question, the material I used for the walls has no bearing on the toughness of a building, it's purely visual. I have no idea which building models might be sturdier than others, nobody told me, so I just make 'em however I want.

About your 2nd question, I'm using the exact same resolution as the originals, actually, the upper window is lower than default texture. These buildings are from scratch, so the originals BMPs are only used to help find boundaries for doors, windows etc... Everything external is completely new except the gutters, and that's only because they don't play nice.

I hope that helps.

I can't answer the first question just because my CM time is usually modding related. But as far as the second question about hi-def (or Hi res in CMx1 days) I say it mostly has to do with the size of the bmps. The bigger the BMP the more detail that can be added to the textures. It's always been done by doubling or quadrupling the size of the file.

Yeah, I guess I knew that a bigger file would allow more detail. I played with some hi-def mods in CMx1; I just haven't looked into the file structure for CMx2 yet. I may play with enlarging a couple of files just to see how much more definition can be added (with some contrast, shadow/highlight adjustments and a touch of sharpening) without slowing the game substantially. Too, I would think that static objects that don't require a lot of redrawing wouldn't slow things down too much... then again, I don't know much about graphics programming.

I suspect Aris could give me a hint :D

And thanks for the compliment.

You're welcome, neighbor. The work that all you mod guys do, just for the fun of it, is what makes the game special for me. The game itself is, for the most part, exceptional... mods are the coup de grâce.

@Rake:

Thanks for the comments. For your 1st question, the material I used for the walls has no bearing on the toughness of a building, it's purely visual. I have no idea which building models might be sturdier than others, nobody told me, so I just make 'em however I want.

About your 2nd question, I'm using the exact same resolution as the originals, actually, the upper window is lower than default texture. These buildings are from scratch, so the originals BMPs are only used to help find boundaries for doors, windows etc... Everything external is completely new except the gutters, and that's only because they don't play nice.

I hope that helps.

I haven't looked at the building bmp's at all, so I wasn't sure whether you were retaining the facade type of the original or not. I'm sure I'm not alone when wondering about the difference in cover, if any, that's programmed into the game. CMx1 told you when you were in a heavy or light building. CMBN, not so much... unfortunate, because one could tell this right away if you could physically walk into the structure.

"Desperately" ;) awaiting release of your building mod. This should put the finishing touch on the graphics for me.

Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...
I hope you are patient, because it takes me a long time to do each building. I'll try to keep the range of wall coloring for most buildings fairly limited for consistency, but it will mostly be between gray and yellow, so there should be some room for different shades.

I look forward to seeing an overview of the buildings completed!