Real Life Buffs

Now normally I might throw on Birds of Fire, Surrealistic Pillow, Animals or even The Grateful Dead at Fox Theater Atlanta 1977. Once in a while though you need to really go for the ... oh who am I kidding even completely whacked out of my mind I can't listen to that crap.

Blasphemy...Eric Bourdon Wind of Change and Twain shall Meet are superb albums. The Deads Anthum of the Sun is the only album I really love as I'm not keen on the country influence on the others. Grace Slick and the Great Society is a excellent album prefer it over Surrealistic pillow.

I have or rather had a massive psych collection (approx 300 cd's,ex missus has got most of it now) and I can listen to that music straight no problem...what I can't listen to though which I always did when I used to go raving in the early ninties is dance\house\drum and bass\ambient etc etc, that is only for whne your on some substance.

LongLeftFlank, what is this picture from? Music album? Book?:confused:

Punk rocker, poet, painter (and Late Empire uniforms grog) Billy Childish. The Youtube links posted above explain all. Thee Headcoats is his most famous band, but Buff Medways is another. Basically, if the Peng Challenge had a soundtrack, Billy would provide it.....

If that ain't enuff, Google or wiki "Steady the Buffs" for the regimental history.

Here are several ways in which alcohol affects my CMBN gaming experience :-)

1) I finish planning turns in 50% of the time it would normally take me.

2) If you knock out one of my tanks I become... agitated.

3) Due to my berserker-like tactics, I end up taking lots of prisoners.

4) Due to my berserker-like tactics, I charge whole platoons into ambushes regularly with bad results, then I become... agitated

5) I tend to use up artillery quickly just because I want to see more explosions and action.

6) I start to believe my wife is actually interested in CMBN and try to get her opinions on tactical planning and infantry tactics.

Man, I remember in my early twenties I used to gamesmaster for a Tolkien RPG called MERP, the all night stoned arguments of why his Lvl 6 Scout got taken down by a lucky Orc arrow in the neck and then like the stone trolls in 'The Hobbit' we would realize it was approaching dawn and scurry back to our basement dwellings!

Man, I remember in my early twenties I used to gamesmaster for a Tolkien RPG called MERP, the all night stoned arguments of why his Lvl 6 Scout got taken down by a lucky Orc arrow in the neck and then like the stone trolls in 'The Hobbit' we would realize it was approaching dawn and scurry back to our basement dwellings!

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing a couple of fellow RPG players fail their saving throws against a basilisk and ending up stoned... I think the GM had an ulterior motive that night, 'cause there were an awful lot of basilisks around for that adventure...

Blasphemy...Eric Bourdon Wind of Change and Twain shall Meet are superb albums. The Deads Anthum of the Sun is the only album I really love as I'm not keen on the country influence on the others.

The Animals I was referring to is Pink Floyd :D and the Dead albums are just space filler when you couldn't be at a show, they bore little resemblance to the actual band. Sugaree from Fox Theater 1977...my my my I think maybe I'll go flip it on now... doesn't really work well as a CMBN soundtrack however. Throw in a vote for Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs while on that genre though.

As to the mind altering, that's a long time gone and I have no interest in taking it up again. Participating in a conversation with "huh" and "wow man" just doesn't do it for me anymore. I do have to say though, reading Rendevous with Rama in an altered state was definitely an interesting experience.

All in all, I have really enjoyed this thread! It helps to put a more "human" identity to the forum handles we see everyday. I myself have been straight and sober since April 4th, 2010, five months after I found out I was to be the father of twin girls at the ripe old age of 26 and split with the mother over my bad habits. I am now the proud father of twin 13 1/2 month old baby girls named Faith Hope and Kyleigh Meadow. Started walking at 10 and 9 1/2 months respectively and weighing in at 31 lbs and standing tall at 32 inches. Their mother and I are making it work, and this has undoubtedly been the best thing that has ever happened to this poor soul. Combat Mission actually helped me in this process, in a very literal and involved way. Having such a great hobby, that requires so much of my time to be spent at home enjoying it, has made a serious contribution to my recovery in helping me stay away from those who would wish me harm without knowing it. I hope deep down that this will be a hobby I can share with my daughters, a long shot but with twins my odds are improved. It can by such an engaging and interactive teaching tool that the wish to use it, and my knowledge of history, to plant the same seed of curiosity in them that my grandfather instilled in me as a child. As long as they manage to learn at least one new thing every day, they will be way ahead of the game by the time it really counts.

So as we share our stories, some bragging and some cautionary, perhaps there are some who will reach the same conclusion I did about that lifestyle and make a positive change. Just one life improved would pay for all the time spent talking a million times, and I know it's possible since it happened to me!!!