Post patch - engineers now blow themselves up?

I'm a little confused by something I've just seen - my engineers have set satchel charges to destroy a barbed wire complex allowing my men to cross a bridge - during the explosion one of my engineers is incapacitated and another injured, plus a whole squad of infantry is panicked by the blast. Suppression is at 100%. First time I have seen friendly fire like this - this is the second mission of C&F campaign.

Something else I may or may not have done properly - I continued mission 2, post patch, rather than restarting it as such - I presume this is ok? Playing WEGO.

Okay that's what I thought - but I hadn't seen it before. Incidentally I haven't located the mines either - I thought engineers would see them? I know they must be there. I managed to set my engineers to work on a different side of the wire and it blew up without loss this time, although the damage to the terrain suggests it was a rather larger explosion than just a satchel charge.

Ps. god what a difficult mission! Thank god I can restart :D

Okay that's what I thought - but I hadn't seen it before. Incidentally I haven't located the mines either - I thought engineers would see them? I know they must be there. I managed to set my engineers to work on a different side of the wire and it blew up without loss this time, although the damage to the terrain suggests it was a rather larger explosion than just a satchel charge.

Ps. god what a difficult mission! Thank god I can restart :D

You're doing "School of Hard Knocks", I reckon. The sympathetic explosion of an AT mine is, as folks have said, the reason your engineers took casualties and there's a big crater... Engineers don't always spot mines. I've had three teams crawl through the same AP AP before the last one spotted the minefield, and til you've patched it, engineers can't spot AT mines at all.

When I was clearing that wire, I pretty much always had at least a yellow injury, but I imagine it's variable all the way from "not even a scratch" to several men dead, like any explosion :)

If you want some tips how to complete or win this mission, a search for the mission name should produce something useful. Be warned, without wanting to chuck in any spoilers, it's really difficult, for a number of reasons.

You're doing "School of Hard Knocks", I reckon.

If you want some tips how to complete or win this mission, a search for the mission name should produce something useful. Be warned, without wanting to chuck in any spoilers, it's really difficult, for a number of reasons.

Yup! And yes, it's a bloody hard mission alright - aren't they all.. I'm only half hour in, and I'm losing men all over the place :( Fire and Maneuver is all I will say!

You won't/can't win that mission unless you cheat (ie. play it again, and again, and again, and again).

One thing I was wondering about engineers. Is it possible to have them clear obstacles? I'm playing the Razorback Ridge battle (on my third try). On the first try I thought I might be able to get the engineers to blow up the obstacles at the crossroads, but they wouldn't do it. They did mark the mines though.

Additionally, I did have them blow holes in the hedges through which the vehicles could traverse. This is exactly what I had hoped for. I've seen the engineers make man-sized gaps as well. Is there a way to direct them to blow larger gaps for vehicles, or is it just a chance thing? It seems I should be able to tell them how large of a gap needs to be created.

One thing I was wondering about engineers. Is it possible to have them clear obstacles? I'm playing the Razorback Ridge battle (on my third try). On the first try I thought I might be able to get the engineers to blow up the obstacles at the crossroads, but they wouldn't do it.

Are you referring to hedgehogs? No, they won't remove them.

You won't/can't win that mission unless you cheat (ie. play it again, and again, and again, and again).

One thing I was wondering about engineers. Is it possible to have them clear obstacles? I'm playing the Razorback Ridge battle (on my third try). On the first try I thought I might be able to get the engineers to blow up the obstacles at the crossroads, but they wouldn't do it. They did mark the mines though.

Additionally, I did have them blow holes in the hedges through which the vehicles could traverse. This is exactly what I had hoped for. I've seen the engineers make man-sized gaps as well. Is there a way to direct them to blow larger gaps for vehicles, or is it just a chance thing? It seems I should be able to tell them how large of a gap needs to be created.

one charge will open a mansize hole, maybe a larger tank size hole, second charge will always get you the larger hole.

There is a thread where someone claims by some methods how to get the large hole with only one charge, I have tried them and found they were still creating both sizes of holes and actually sometime no hole with the method they showed.

Yep, I realise that - but it is that simple as I didn't restart my campaign, I just loaded it up and continued mid-battle so to speak.

it recommended you save all the games you wanted to carry over to the new version in the command portion of your turn, then use that file once you updated your files.

Why no one has seen that portion of the text blows my mind. I have even done PBEM games and it seems to have worked.

it recommended you save all the games you wanted to carry over to the new version in the command portion of your turn, then use that file once you updated your files.

Why no one has seen that portion of the text blows my mind. I have even done PBEM games and it seems to have worked.

I've seen that in the readme, but I can't understand it - what does 'command' portion actually mean? Is it the part between turns in the WEGO phase, or is it the bit right at the start when you get to place your units? It needs more clarity.

I installed v101, then when I went to a saved WEGO (some were saved in the "Command"--i.e. "Give Orders" phase, some were saved in the "Review the Action" phases. It didn't which matter, as long as when the saved game was loaded, I hit the red button (if it was in the Review Action phase) or if it was in a Give Command phase already, I just re-saved it. They are all good to go from that saved point in v101.

I've seen that in the readme, but I can't understand it - what does 'command' portion actually mean? Is it the part between turns in the WEGO phase, or is it the bit right at the start when you get to place your units? It needs more clarity.

It apparently is the "Give Commands" phase between turns, after you are done "Review the Action."

It's mostly just a chance thing, AFAICT. I used to think that setting the Blast command using an oblique approach would guarantee a vehicle-sized hole, but that must've been some RNG luck cos it hasn't been consistent. In fact, Blast can have a lot of apparent randomness to it; it's one of the commands that I'll reload if they blow up the wrong thing, and redo just that bit. "Widen that hole in the bocage on the left so the tanks can get through" should not be reinterpreted as "Blow a hole in the side of that barn on the right"

It's mostly just a chance thing, AFAICT. I used to think that setting the Blast command using an oblique approach would guarantee a vehicle-sized hole, but that must've been some RNG luck cos it hasn't been consistent. In fact, Blast can have a lot of apparent randomness to it; it's one of the commands that I'll reload if they blow up the wrong thing, and redo just that bit. "Widen that hole in the bocage on the left so the tanks can get through" should not be reinterpreted as "Blow a hole in the side of that barn on the right"

I find that the best thing to do is make sure your unit is as close as possible and that the blast command crosses the object to blow. For bocages, if you have the demo charges to use and you want to make sure to get that big hole just give the command twice, the same unit will do both demo's one after the other, of course this is for wego type play and you are in a hurry.

Boody trap - german style. There was A LOT of boody traps in Normandy. Nice to know some scenario makers use them too. :)

"Booby Trap" is the correct identification.

Now called an "Improvised Explosive Device", but we are much more sophisticated now then were were in 1944. Also we don't want to offend anyone by calling them a "booby".