Bug? Orchards and cover/concealment

My test was an orchard (one tree in the center of each tile) on dirt vs dense forest (3 trees per tile) on heavy forest terrain. The results were that concealment/cover was about the same. My other experiments indicated that terrain tile type had no effect if there were trees of any kind on the tile. It also appears that it doesn't matter how many trees you have on each tile: the effect on concealment/cover is the same. The only workaround is to spread the trees out so that some percentage of the tiles contain no trees.

I don't believe that one tree centered on a dirt tile should provide the same level of concealment/cover as multiple trees scattered on a heavy forest tile. But I'm not sure I'm winning any converts to this view. :)

Remember that unit placement within the context of the map as a whole is CRITICALLY important. If you position a dozen men at the edge of my field I will likely have no better or worse chance of seeing them than if there were 1, 2, or 3 trees. Put the same dozen men 24m further into the forest and 1, 2, or 3 trees could make the difference between a possibility of seeing them or none at all.

Steve

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game engine only considers one of the terrain features (presumably the strongest one) and ignores the others.

Just because you say it's that way doesn't make it so :D You're 100% wrong here. The cover and concealment factors are a mix of all terrain types for a particular Action Spot. That's a fact. If your tests are leading you to think otherwise then there's something about those tests you aren't taking into consideration.

As I said, I understand people are OK with the way it works. My conclusion is that the choice of foliage is solely cosmetic. It doesn't make any difference tactically. That isn't what I expected, so I thought there might be a bug involved.

Again, this is incorrect.

Steve

I think there is a problem here but possibly not what it seems. : )

How big is an average Normandy field, and how big is an apple orchard? Off-hand from the various aerial photos I have seen the big orchards are small dozens, though most are a probably under 2 dozen which would make sense if you grew apples to make your cider for the following year. If a farm grew more it would probably just have more orchards rather than bigger.

As to visibility the idea of kneeling or ducking down to look under the canopy seems very likely behaviour so 40 metres before non-see for infantry would seem strange. Mixed woods, as opposed to pine forests can be very difficult to see through as you can have bushes, hollies, branbles which allowing for some undulations makes them tricky places to be sure about anything.

Ike in an orchard - with good visibility down the aisles, apple tree to the left and possibly bocage to the right does not actually prove much - though always nice for to see more information on WW2 terrain.

... would make sense if you grew apples to make your cider for the following year. If a farm grew more it would probably just have more orchards rather than bigger.

While doing some, ah, research recently I discovered that there are over two hundred varieties of apples grown in Normandy/Calvados - most of them inedible :eek:

Ike in an orchard - with good visibility down the aisles, apple tree to the left and possibly bocage to the right does not actually prove much - though always nice for to see more information on WW2 terrain.

Sure, although it does illustrate a few points, including; if you were in any way elevated and looking for someone in the orchard that was trying to remain unseen you'd have the devils own job seeing them.

Also; visibility in this particular Norman orchard is at least on a par with that particular bit of the Huertegen, and actually it's considerably worse.

Adams' Pearmain

Aldwick Beauty•

Alexander

Alfriston

Allen's Everlasting

Allington Pippin

American Golden Russet•

American Summer Pearmain•

Ananas Reinette•

Annie Elizabeth

Annual Sweetening

Antonovka•

Api Étoilé•

Api Noir

Ard Cairn Russet

Aromatic Russet

Arthur Turner

Arthur W. Barnes

Ashdown Seedling•

Ashmead´s Kernel

Autumn Pearmain

Baker's Delicious

Ball's Pippin•

Bamfairs

Barnack Beauty

Bascombe Mystery•

Baumann's Reinette•

Baxter´s Pearmain

Bazeley

Beachamwell

Beauty Of Bath

Beauty Of Bedford

Beauty Of Hants

Beauty Of Kent

Beckley Red(Bew)

Beckley Red(Holcroft)

Bédan-Des-Parts•

Bedfordshire Foundling

Beisly Codling

Belledge Pippin•

Belvoir Seedling•

Benwell's Large•

Bernwode Crab

Bess Pool

Black Gilliflower

Black Prince

Blenheim Orange

Bloody Ploughman

Blue Pearmain

Bohnapfel•

Bossom•

Boston Russet

Brabant Bellefleur•

Braddick Nonpareil

Bradley's Beauty

Bramley's Seedling

Breedon Pippin•

Brown Kenting•

Brownlees´ Russet

Brown's Pippin•

Buckinghamshire Sheep's Nose

Bulmer's Norman

Bundy's Ringwood Red

Burr Knot

Calville Blanche D´Hiver•

Cambridge Pippin

Cambusnethan Pippin•

Capper's Pearmain•

Carlisle Codlin•

Caroline•

Catshead

Caudal Market•

Cellini•

Charles Ross

Cherry Pearmain•

Chisel Jersey•

Chivers Delight

Christmas Pearmain

Cissy•

Claygate Pearmain

Cockle Pippin

Cockpit

Coeur De Boeuf

Coker Seedling

Cole

Colonel Vaughan•

Compton Wynyates•

Corner Cottage•

Cornish Aromatic

Cornish Gillyflower

Corry's Wonder•

Cottenham Seedling

Cottered Apple•

Court Of Wick

Court Pendu Plat

Cox's Orange Pippin

Cox's Pomona

Crawley Beauty

Cremiere•

Crow Egg•

Dabinett

D´Arcy Spice

Decio

Deddington Golden

Devon Crimson Queen•

Devonshire Quarrenden

Dirleton Red

Discovery

Downton Pippin•

Dr Hogg

Duchess Of Oldenburg

Duchess's Favourite•

Duck's Bill• Duke of Devonshire

Dumelow's Seedling

Dunn's Seedling•

Easter Orange

Edward V11

Eggleton Styre

Egremont Russet

Eldon Pippin

Ellison´s Orange

Emneth Early

English Codlin

English Greening•

Esopus Spitzenburg•

Eynsham Challenger•

Eynsham Dumpling•

Fallbarrow Favourite•

Fameuse•

Fearn´s Pippin

Feltham Beauty

Fenouillet Gris

Fenouillet Rouge

First and Last•

Flower of the Town•

Forge

Forty Shilling•

Foulden Pearmain•

Foulkes' Foremost•

Foxwhelp

French Crab

Gascoyne´s Scarlet

Genet Moyle

George Carpenter

George Cave

George Neal

George Neilson

Gilliflower•

Gipsy King•

Gladstone

Gloria Mundi

Gold Medal•

Golden Bittersweet•

Golden Harvey

Golden Knob•

Golden Noble

Golden Pippin

Golden Reinette

Golden Russet

Golden Spire

Gooseberry•

Grand Duke Constantine

Grange's Pearmain•

Granny Shan•

Gravenstein

Greasy Jack•

Green Custard•

Grenadier

Grey Pippin

Grime's Golden•

Hambledon Deux Ans

Hanwell Souring

Hargreaves' Greensweet•

Harvest Lemon•

Harvey

Hawthornden•

Helmsley Market Apple•

Herefordshire Beefing

Herring's Pippin

Heusgen´s Golden Reinette•

Hitchin Pippin

Hoary Morning

Holland Pippin•

Hollandbury•

Holly•

Hormead Pearmain

Horsham Russet•

Howgate Wonder

Hubbard's Pearmain•

Iffley Beefing•

Iffley Codlin•

Irish Peach

Islay Pippin

James Grieve

Jennifer•

Jennifer Wastie•

Joaneting

John Standish•

Joybells•

Kandil Sinap

Kane's Seedling•

Keeling Apple

Kentish Fillbasket

Kerry Pippin

Keswick Codlin

Kew Pippin

Kidd's Orange Red

King Charles Pearmain

King Harry

King Of The Pippins

King Of Tompkins County•

King´s Acre Pippin•

Kingsbury Priory Apple•

Kingston Black

Knobby Russet

Knotted Kernel

Korobovka•

Lady Henniker•

Lady Sudeley

Lady's Delight•

Lady's Finger Of Hereford

Lady's Finger Of Lancaster

Lady's Finger Of Offaly•

Lamb Abbey Pearmain•

Lancashire Pippin•

Lane´s Prince Albert

Langleigh Delight

Langley Pippin

Laxton's Epicure

Laxton's Exquisite•

Laxton's Fortune

Laxton's Royalty•

Laxton's Superb

Leathercoat Russet

Lemon Pippin

Lemon Square•

Les Paysans Potentate•

Lewis's Incomparable•

London Pippin

Long Reinette

Longstart•

Lord Burghley

Lord Derby

Lord Hindlip•

Lord Lambourne

Lucombe's Pine

Mabbott's Pearmain•

Maclean's Favourite•

Madeleine•

Madresfield Court•

Maid Of Kent

Maiden's Blush•

Maltster

Mank's Codlin•

Mannington´s Pearmain•

Margaret

Margil

Marriage Maker

Mary Morgan•

May Queen

Meadfoot Wonder•

Mela Carla

Melon

Mère De Ménage

Miller´s Seedling

Milton Wonder

Minshull Crab

Monarch

Morgan Sweet

Moses Tree

Mother

Nanny•

New Rock Pippin

Newton Wonder

Newtown Pippin•

Nine Square•

Nonpareil

Nonsuch Park•

Norfolk Beauty

Norfolk Beefing

Norfolk Coleman•

Norfolk Royal

Northern Greening•

Nottingham Pippin•

Nutmeg Pippin

Oaken Pin•

Old Fred•

Old Pearmain

Onibury Pippin•

Ontario

Orange

Orange Goff•

Orléans Reinette

Oslin

Oxford Beauty•

Oxford Conquest•

Oxford Hoard•

Oxford Sunrise•

Oxford Yeoman•

Padley's Pippin

Painted Summer Pippin

Parker's Pippin•

Peacemaker

Pear Apple•

Peasgood's Nonsuch

Peggy's Pride•

Pigeon de Jerusalem•

Pig´s Nose Pippin

Pine Golden Pippin

Pitmaston Pine Apple

Pitmaston Russet Nonpareil

Pitstone Pippin•

Pomeroy of Herefordshire

Pomeroy of Somerset

Poor Man's Profit

Porter•

Powell's Russet

Prinzenapfel•

Profit

Puckrupp Pippin•

Queen

Queen Caroline•

Queen Cox

Radford Beauty

Rambour Franc•

Rank Thorn

Rathe Ripe•

Red Army•

Red Balsam

Red Claygate•

Red Cluster•

Red Ellison

Red Ingestrie

Red Jersey•

Red Siberian

Redstart•

Redstreak

Reinette Clochard•

Reinette Du Canada•

Reinette Rouge Étoilée

Reverend W. Wilks

Ribston Pippin

Rivers' Early Peach•

Rivers' Nonsuch•

Ronalds' Gooseberry Pippin

Rosemary Russet

Roundway Magnum Bonum

Royal Jersey

Royal Wilding

Rymer

Saint Albans Pippin

Saint Cecilia

Saint Edmund´s Pippin

Saint Magdalen•

Saltcote Pippin

Sam Young•

Sandling•

Sanspareil

Scarlet Crofton•

Scarlet Nonpareil

Scotch Bridget•

Scotch Dumpling•

Sergeant Peggy•

Sharlston Pippin

Sheep's Nose•

Shustoke Apple

Silvercup•

Sir Isaac Newton´s Tree

Skyrme's Kernel

Smart's Prince Arthur•

Sops In Wine•

Stanford Seedling•

Stibbert•

Stirling Castle

Stoke Edith Pippin•

Stone Pippin•

Striped Beefing

Studley Crab

Sturmer Pippin•

Sugar Loaf Pippin

Summer Golden Pippin•

Summer Pearmain

Summer Strawberry

Sunset

Suntan

Sussex Mother

Sweet Coppin

Sweet Lading•

Sykehouse Russet

Taylor's Favourite•

Teign Harvey

Ten Commandments•

Téton de Demoiselle•

Thomas Rivers•

Thorpe's Peach

Tillington Court•

Tinsley Quince•

Tom Putt

Tower Of Glamis

Tun Apple

Tupstones•

Tydeman's Early Worcester

Tydeman's Late Orange

Underwood Pippin

Upton Pyne•

Venus Pippin•

Violette

Voyager

Wadhurst Pippin•

Wagener•

Wardington Seedling•

Warner´s King

Wax Apple•

Welford Park Nonsuch

Wheaten Loaves•

Wheeler's Russet

White Joaneting

White Melrose

White Transparent•

White Winter Pearmain•

William Crump•

Winston•

Winter Banana•

Winter Colman

Winter Greening

Winter Majetin•

Winter Pearmain

Winter Queening

Wolvercote Pippin•

Woolbrook Russet

Worcester Pearmain

Wormsley Pippin•

Wotton Costard - I resist the temptation

Wyken Pippin

Yellow Bellflower•

Yellow Ingestrie

Yorkshire Greening•

Young's Pinello•

Zabergäu Renette •

Some Of the English types. Actually I look at the list and think - if I were to invent some I could never make up such a collection.

Well, there are orchards and there are orchards.

Is this the low-tech "walk in and pick it" type of orchard for a family's sustenance farming? If yes then expect low branches so owners have to use ladders at minimum. That's branches going close to the ground and excellent concealment as long as there are leaves around. Especially if said family is short-handed or lazy, in which case then you also have grass and even underbrush between the trees.

Is this a medium-tech orchard where the fruit is picked and then sent and sold somewhere? Then you might get pruning to keep the branches off the ground and in general minimal large branches and lots of minor ones, more clearing between the trees, proper paths to get a tractor or horse cart in there, and so on.

Or is this a high tech orchard where fruit is the business and they bring in whatever machines they can to assist in picking and spraying and so on?

But for sure, the tech level in 1944 is going to be lower than today, and in general there was more sustenance farming then than now.

As to forests, it's all about underbrush and in turn the age of the forest and whether or not any one is bothering to clear out the underbrush. I suspect in France in 1944, that was not a big priority, forest maintenance is one of those things that gets neglected in Europe when there is a war. And if trees won't grow very much in a year or two of war, that kind of time can convert a nice neat well-tended forest into a real mess, just because no one is going in there cleaning out the new growth.

Also; visibility in this particular Norman orchard is at least on a par with that particular bit of the Huertegen, and actually it's considerably worse.

Even the hurtgen forest does not have or had uniform looks. There´s older fir trees with branches starting couple of meters high and visibility is comparatively good (CMN Tree E). Then there´s younger ones with branches down to the floor and you can hardly see beyond the next tree. Then there´s mixed age fir tree areas, but visibility is mostly determined by younger ones.

Then there´s the smashed pine tree forests that we oftenly see in wartime pics. Visibility in them is almost solely determined by all the debris, branches and tree crowns lying on the ground. There´s also a couple of pics from shortly after the war, where huge forest fires had devastated the area furtherly, with just the tree trunks sticking out of the ground with all debris and underbrush completely burned away.

The hurtgen also has/had a number of areas with mixed type forests or pure deciduous trees.

Would be nice to have younger/smaller trees of every kind added to CMN as well.

Btw, can you identify the 5 CMN trees?

treeabcde.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Not really the tidy rows and neatly pruned trees we are used to, but more a collection of fruit trees in a meadow with no real mechanical tools available to keep the grass down or the trees cut back, and in June/Aug all would be in full leaf.

I don't know what the common practice was in Normandy, especially during wartime, but in a lot of places the farmers would put their livestock into the orchards during the seasons of maximum grass growth. They would keep the grass neatly trimmed down, no mechanization required. They would also tend to nibble the leaves off the trees below a certain height. In other words, sight lines through such an orchard could be pretty good, not much worse than an open field in some cases, depending on how closely the trees were planted.

Michael

While doing some, ah, research recently I discovered that there are over two hundred varieties of apples grown in Normandy/Calvados - most of them inedible :eek:

But I bet you could make vinegar from them all. And vinegar is very important for preserving foods when you don't have a lot of refrigeration.

Michael

Is this the low-tech "walk in and pick it" type of orchard for a family's sustenance farming? If yes then expect low branches so owners have to use ladders at minimum. That's branches going close to the ground and excellent concealment as long as there are leaves around. Especially if said family is short-handed or lazy, in which case then you also have grass and even underbrush between the trees.

I am afraid branches low to the ground is not the way I would expect any decent apple orchard to be, I don't frquent old orchards too many times a year but ggod air flow and pruning back are considerations. So nothing lower than 6ft with the fully grown fruit on - and obviously higher earlier in the season.

This is a bit of a stunner. Before you look which country produces the most apples

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple

But I bet you could make vinegar from them all. And vinegar is very important for preserving foods when you don't have a lot of refrigeration.

No: brandy and cider. They're very important when you have to eat food that isn't preserved well because you used all the apples to make brandy and cider.

(And the brandies often use apples of many, many varieties.)

Based on the above photo, I further refined my test to compare tree density effects independent of terrain type. Spotter is an FO team 400-450m away, elevated 2m above the tabletop terrain. Targets are three Fusilier companies, one in a 3-tree (Tree D) every tile forest on "grass" tiles, one on "grass" tiles only and one in orchard (Tree D) with open space between rows on "grass" tiles.

Typical outcome:

forest_v_orchard.jpg

Both tree density and terrain type matter.

Just because you say it's that way doesn't make it so :D You're 100% wrong here. The cover and concealment factors are a mix of all terrain types for a particular Action Spot. That's a fact. If your tests are leading you to think otherwise then there's something about those tests you aren't taking into consideration.

Well, it's a simple test. Anyone can do it. I had to do it to figure out how to get a bocage scenario to work (which it wasn't).

Create an orchard (single trees in grid formation, one on each tile), on dirt tiles, flat ground of 100m by 50m, for example. Put a German MG in the orchard near one end. Have an American inf squad advance thru that orchard from the other end. At what point does the MG spot them and start firing? I expected it to be right away. It was not until the squad got to within about 40m (or five trees away). I have also seen this happen in scenarios created by others, which made me curious enough to run this test.

Take the same area, and make the tiles heavy forest and use high density trees and run the same test. I found that the results were roughly the same. I also got the same results for any other combination of tiles and tree option.

Since I found no way to get this right for my scenario map, I am either going to not use orchards, or else do the very widely spaced orchard idea. But I still think I should not have gotten the same results every time I tried different combinations. If other people are able to create maps which don't have this problem(?) then more power to them. I can't figure out how to do it. :)

Since I found no way to get this right for my scenario map, I am either going to not use orchards, or else do the very widely spaced orchard idea. But I still think I should not have gotten the same results every time I tried different combinations. If other people are able to create maps which don't have this problem(?) then more power to them. I can't figure out how to do it. :)

SteveP, this is all about the effect you want an "orchard" to have and nothing to do with how CMN models line of sight. You obviously want the orchard to have a fair degree of visibility. In order to achieve this you're going to have to make your trees more sparse.

To be quite honest, if you were an owner of an apple orchard and you planted your trees only 8m meters apart you'd probably run yourself out of business. It provides no accessibility to harvest the fruit and the trees would end up competing for light and room to grow.

The photo that akd has posted clearly shows gap rows that are at least 8m in width. I suggest you do the same.

SteveP, this is all about the effect you want an "orchard" to have and nothing to do with how CMN models line of sight. You obviously want the orchard to have a fair degree of visibility. In order to achieve this you're going to have to make your trees more sparse.

To be quite honest, if you were an owner of an apple orchard and you planted your trees only 8m meters apart you'd probably run yourself out of business. It provides no accessibility to harvest the fruit and the trees would end up competing for light and room to grow.

The photo that akd has posted clearly shows gap rows that are at least 8m in width. I suggest you do the same.

You are right that I ended up doing the test because of what I wanted to achieve in the scenario. Apparently the test I did isn't interesting because:

1. Normandy doesn't have dirt under their orchard trees, so who cares?

2. It doesn't matter what the mg gunner can or can't see thru the lines of apple tree trunks sitting on dirt, because the trees branches up above his head have lots of foliage.

3. There are workarounds I can use, so who cares?

4. BFC says I can't possibly have seen what I saw in doing my tests, so I must be doing something wrong.

I would still like to see, on one of my scenario maps, dense forest on heavy forest terrain having a bigger impact on concealment/cover than orchard trees on dirt. Maybe I will some day (perhaps when I figure out what I am doing wrong). :)