Dissapointed by CMBN

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very few games handle what Combat Mission does - a potentially infinite number of units on a 16 square kilometer map - ALL of which can be in view at once!

Have you tried the game RUSE? It uses the IRIS Zoom engine, and it's a beauty. Large maps, lots of units (more so than CM)

check out a video:

It's really limited only by the processing power of the machine in question. Technically it's not something that's easily tackled. That Charles has solved it as well as he has, and on his own, is actually pretty amazing.

I find that hard to believe. I have a DELL XPS with 3-gig processor, 4-gig ram, and a Nvidia GTX 280 1-gig video card. I have no issue running any other game on the market. However, when I play CM there is a significant performance drop compared to other games.

I'm not trying to sharp-shoot you. Afterall, you're the professional game designer here. However, I'd like to see CM avoid something like World War Two Online - a game that is using an 11-year old engine, trying to compete with today's game market. It just doesn't work.

Again - I'm not asking CM to turn into CoH or even RUSE, but I, along with most on this forum would really like to see some development in the game engine - more so than a quickly released Market Garden or Barbarosa addon.

Again - I'm not asking CM to turn into CoH or even RUSE, but I, along with most on this forum would really like to see some development in the game engine - more so than a quickly released Market Garden or Barbarosa addon.

If you are talking about improvements to the current game engine, then yes, I agree. If you are talking about developing a new game engine before releasing Market Garden or Barbarosa (or more modules/expansions), then count me out of this "most of the forum" you speak of.

I have no issue running any other game on the market. However, when I play CM there is a significant performance drop compared to other games.

I wonder what CMBN's CPU budget is like. I expect it to be significantly different from most games.

"but I, along with most on this forum would really like to see some development in the game engine "

And where, Captain Mike, is your evidence for that statement. Who are these people, the majority you claim, who want to see CM transformed into a different game that suits your tastes better than the present incarnation? I know I don't read every single post but I see very few people here apart from yourself arguing that CM should become something else.

Have you tried the game RUSE? It uses the IRIS Zoom engine, and it's a beauty. Large maps, lots of units (more so than CM)

check out a video:

Yes, I've seen RUSE. It's much more like Supreme Commander than Combat Mission in terms of complexity, as far as I can tell. And it had ten times the budget and team, conservatively. Those large maps have a fraction of the detail of a CM map internally. The individual soldiers don't have anything like CM's AI. It's not anything like a straight comparison.

Probably the closest would be Men of War, which again had a budget and team well beyond BFC, and its units and AI are *still* much less complex than CM, and it can't handle huge numbers of them on-map (I've tried it).

I find that hard to believe. I have a DELL XPS with 3-gig processor, 4-gig ram, and a Nvidia GTX 280 1-gig video card. I have no issue running any other game on the market. However, when I play CM there is a significant performance drop compared to other games.

CM has different goals than pretty much anything out there. Honestly, show me a game that does anything like CM and I can tell you why it doesn't actually do what CM does, and that's leaving aside budgets and programming teams. Comparing CM to any game on the market, hardware-wise or other, is comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not trying to sharp-shoot you. Afterall, you're the professional game designer here. However, I'd like to see CM avoid something like World War Two Online - a game that is using an 11-year old engine, trying to compete with today's game market. It just doesn't work.

We're always working on improving performance. Is that suddenly going to double frame rates? No. The game is *fast* considering what it does under the hood.

Believe me, I understand. I would love to switch over to CM and suddenly have it be twice as fast. You have no idea how much I would love that. The thought of it makes me smile involuntarily. :) And if I thought it could actually happen I would do everything in my ability to make it so.

But I've spent my career optimizing applications - beyond AI that's really my primary skillset. And CM is... well, let's just say Charles has done a fantastic job. We'll keep working on it, but unless we compromise our design goals - thousands of units, all driven by individual AI, on very large and complex maps requiring real pathfinding - or suddenly everyone gets supercomputers we're never going to run as smoothly on the highest settings as your next $50 million RTS.

I wonder what CMBN's CPU budget is like. I expect it to be significantly different from most games.

I think the fact that every soldier has his own AI that allows him to survey the battlefield and make complex decisions, and that potentially thousands of soldiers can be on the map at once doing so, says quite a bit about how CM differs from other games in terms of processing, without getting into how the CPU budget looks. :)

Well i played 40 TCP matches so far and here are the features:

Treebug: 2 dif maps..

Mountbug: same as cmsf 3 years ago..

Tankluck: just start the editor and try on ur own!

Schrecks/Zooks: no movement in a squad within a tile while spotting a tank, TAC AI..

C2: just a mythos, only good for on map arty.

Buildings/Fortifications: no cover :D

Morale: no need for reserves, they start rattled at all even without C2..

Immobilize: every 2nd game on dry map..

Blast: kinda hard to blast a hole for a tank..

Blast2: democharges dont disappear when used :D

Mortarts: 4 mins to shoot indirect at a target 100 meters away?!

Coverarcs: no tankarc?

Tankmovement: no auto breach wooden fence..

Well Mister programmer: take my money and go to vegas, if u double up pls stop modding cmx2 games, if u go broke please make a patch...

Schrecks/Zooks: no movement in a squad within a tile while spotting a tank, TAC AI..

Well Mister programmer: take my money and go to vegas, if u double up pls stop modding cmx2 games, if u go broke please make a patch...

It's amazing that with such a terrible game in your hands you've stuck around to play 40 matches.

If you're trying to tell me about bugs, it would help if you were... clear. Explaining what you're talking about ("Treebug" and "Tankluck", for example, don't make any sense at all) would be a good start.

Also, some of the stuff you're talking about doesn't seem like bugs from what I can tell - tanks do drive through wooden fences, I can definitely blast a hole big enough for a tank, immobilization can happen for a number of reasons (damage, for starters?), mortars fired indirectly need time to lay to target commensurate with a number of factors... I'm going to stop there because I don't want to invest more time in this list until it's clear we're both talking about the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying in that last paragraph, but being inflammatory is going to make people want to talk to you *less*. If you want to have a conversation with me about bugs, fine. If you're just taking a run at me, don't bother.

"but I, along with most on this forum would really like to see some development in the game engine "

And where, Captain Mike, is your evidence for that statement. Who are these people, the majority you claim, who want to see CM transformed into a different game that suits your tastes better than the present incarnation? I know I don't read every single post but I see very few people here apart from yourself arguing that CM should become something else.

Different game?

Hell No.

I enjoy the game. I just wish we had an engine with better performance

We're always working on improving performance. Is that suddenly going to double frame rates? No. The game is *fast* considering what it does under the hood.

Believe me, I understand. I would love to switch over to CM and suddenly have it be twice as fast. You have no idea how much I would love that. The thought of it makes me smile involuntarily. And if I thought it could actually happen I would do everything in my ability to make it so.

But I've spent my career optimizing applications - beyond AI that's really my primary skillset. And CM is... well, let's just say Charles has done a fantastic job. We'll keep working on it, but unless we compromise our design goals - thousands of units, all driven by individual AI, on very large and complex maps requiring real pathfinding - or suddenly everyone gets supercomputers we're never going to run as smoothly on the highest settings as your next $50 million RTS.

Mr Culliton, thanks for your insight. Good things happen to good development teams (eventually!)

If you're trying to tell me about bugs, it would help if you were... clear. Explaining what you're talking about ("Treebug" and "Tankluck", for example, don't make any sense at all) would be a good start.

Also, some of the stuff you're talking about doesn't seem like bugs from what I can tell - tanks do drive through wooden fences, I can definitely blast a hole big enough for a tank, immobilization can happen for a number of reasons (damage, for starters?), mortars fired indirectly need time to lay to target commensurate with a number of factors... I'm going to stop there because I don't want to invest more time in this list until it's clear we're both talking about the same thing.

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying in that last paragraph, but being inflammatory is going to make people want to talk to you *less*. If you want to have a conversation with me about bugs, fine. If you're just taking a run at me, don't bother.

m8, just try on ur own on TCP game or read the forums. ive played alot of cmx1 games and im pretty sure im aware of what im saying

m8, just try on ur own on TCP game or read the forums.

I do play, quite a bit. I spend a lot of time in-game, both while chasing bugs and in my "off time". And I read the forums - a lot. If you glance through the threads since the game was released you'll see me in there. I think my confusion stems mostly from the fact that I can't understand what most of your list means.

ive played alot of cmx1 games and im pretty sure im aware of what im saying

I think you probably are, it's simply that I don't know what you're saying.

I do play, quite a bit. I spend a lot of time in-game, both while chasing bugs and in my "off time". And I read the forums - a lot. If you glance through the threads since the game was released you'll see me in there. I think my confusion stems mostly from the fact that I can't understand what most of your list means.

I think you probably are, it's simply that I don't know what you're saying.

Well, actually hosts and guests maps differ in the settlement of trees, what influences LOS and LOF. Thats the treebug :)

So we have 2 maps, which is a real feature..

Well, actually hosts and guests maps differ in the settlement of trees, what influences LOS and LOF. Thats the treebug :)

As Phil said, he hunts bugs. Quite successfully. The treebug has been fixed in patch v1.01. I'm tallying 70-odd hairy bugs so far. And counting... :)

And yes, apart from the no armor arc -- no, it will not be in the patch(es) to follow -- and your recently explained treebug, colour me in as another forumite that cannot fully comprehend/understand what you are trying to say with your list posted earlier.

Wow, you meant that bug? :)

That is fixed in 1.01 to the best of my knowledge.

Edit: Which is precisely what WineCape said. :) I gotta finish my posts faster...

As Phil said, he hunts bugs. Quite successfully. The treebug has been fixed in patch v1.01. I'm tallying 70-odd hairy bugs so far. And counting... :)

And yes, apart from the no armor arc -- no, it will not be in the patch(es) to follow -- and your recently explained treebug, colour me in as another forumite that cannot fully comprehend/understand what you are trying to say with your list posted earlier.

Ok Winecape tell me more about that mounted inf bug?

...tell me about the others
All in good/due time, suffice to say more then half of the bugs fixed by the programmers I have yet to see them reported as a bug here on this general forum. This thread had an earlier reference wrt tank accuracy, in particular firing on the move. Now, moving tanks fire their weapons with even less accuracy. ;)