Reviews?

How come I'm not seeing any reviews for this game? I find it odd, especially since it's a sequel to one of the most highly acclaimed games of it's time. Not that I need affirmation from an "official" source to tell me that this game is pure gold, but in an age where reviews usually come on the heels of a release this one has me scratching my head. Did Battlefront not send copies to major review sites? They must have known this game was going to be a sure winner, so why not maximize it's exposure and get glowing reviews to enhance it's release? Any ideas?

it is indeed gold. I reckon half the reviewers are having to learn to read before they can get stuck into the game ;) lol

Well it is more complex than point and shoot......

Seriously though, I have been wondering the same thing. I think the review mafia must be holding out for money.

Finnish Pelit magazine just gave the game 84% in June issue. Bet there's a floodtide of reviews to come!

"It is the magazine of choice among young men. Approximately 75 percent of the readers are under the age of 30, and young men who live in big cities. In addition to gaming, their lives centre on friends, sports, reading, music and films; branded products and looks and images are important to them as well."

This quote from Pelits own website describes the demographic that reads the magazine. These are the kind of men I want to be rating the products that I'm interested in. It would seem that reindeer might have a more complex world view in Finland. :)

This quote from Pelits own website describes the demographic that reads the magazine. These are the kind of men I want to be rating the products that I'm interested in. It would seem that reindeer might have a more complex world view in Finland. :)

That's a nonsensical conclusion. All magazines have to 'sell' themselves to advertisers by giving the appearance of an audience that is receptive to your expensive gadgets. That's known as selling advertisement space and has nothing to do with the editorial staff who write articles to the magazine. The reviewer himself used to post here back in the CMBO days, before all sorts of punks started showing up in 2002 ruining the place. ;)

That's a nonsensical conclusion. All magazines have to 'sell' themselves to advertisers by giving the appearance of an audience that is receptive to your expensive gadgets. That's known as selling advertisement space and has nothing to do with the editorial staff who write articles to the magazine. The reviewer himself used to post here back in the CMBO days, before all sorts of punks started showing up in 2002 ruining the place. ;)

Was that a "teachable moment" or did you think I was serious?

I actually returned with CMBN, can't access my old account though anymore. Having a good PBEM with Hukka I think at the moment.

I'd like to point out that 84 (not 84%!) is a good score. There are problems I think, and those I outline in the review, but the I wrote the review as pretty much positive one.

I actually returned with CMBN, can't access my old account though anymore. Having a good PBEM with Hukka I think at the moment.

I'd like to point out that 84 (not 84%!) is a good score. There are problems I think, and those I outline in the review, but the I wrote the review as pretty much positive one.

I was about to ask who did the review. :)

I also lost my old account somehow. :(

And yes, the 84 feels about right.

Oh sweet, now that you're a junior member we can bully you to no end!

Yeah, 84 is a good score in the Pelit scale, and the review had a positive tone overall. I hope it attracts some new Finnish fans to the genre... and new Finns to this forum, too. That's what people here want the most.

Btw. in case any of you old hands want their old accounts back, you can contact the admins. They can usually help... unless you want to get bullied, of course.

Battlefront is a small house. Maybe reviewers are conceding them the chance to release one patch before casting judgement. Not that the existing game is buggy, by any means.

Curious to see what score James Allen from Out of Eight gives CMBN. He lavished a perfect- and grossly premature- 8/8 on Shock Force.

CM:BN got lots of glowing reviews, but they were most-all of pre-game press Betas. I look at their screeshots and cringe over that piece of since-corrected art, or that early iteration of hedgerows. But nobody seemed not notice or mind. Every once in awhile they'd comment of this or that minor AI action that had since been fixed, too. But those pre-release reviews were of 98%-finished product and they did like what they saw.

Uh.... previews yeah. Reviews? Not so much. Not even on Rock, Paper Shotgun.

If you can't get a review there you are doing it very wrong.

Zilch on any the major sites, still?! I figured some lag because perhaps BFC hadn't sent out pre-release review copies this time. But now I am getting worried.

Yeah I'm kinda scratching my head on this. CMSF got reviews from all the major gaming sites as well as PC Gamer magazine. They were all bad, of course, because of all the bugs, not because it was a hardcore wargame. I feel like BF might have been a bit gun shy this time around and only sent review copies to select places. I might be totally wrong, but it just seems odd that we are only seeing reviews from relatively obscure places, and very few at that. You guys can't tell me that marketing is that hard, because I see articles and reviews all the time about games that were made by 1-3 people.