Disappearing Contact Icons

I am finding that contact icons come and go as I move the camera around.

What is the meaning of this: I can't find any system to it. At a particular camera elevation

(moderately high) I can push the camera forwards towards the contact icons and watch them disappear much like trees do on that tree setting, then pull back and they come back again. But it's not a closeness thing, because if I go to camera angle 9 I can see them again (IIRC).

Huh?

GaJ

Yes... I'm glad to hear its not just me. I find myself playing a timing game for few seconds while the game is paused to try and target the enemy icon. I can deal with it but it seems like it'll get really old after a while.

On a similar topic, I can't really understand why I'm even getting the contacts that I'm referring to.

I think sometimes it my be part of the intelligence you receive for the battle in question. ie I know I am facing roughly these forces and intelligence suggests they may be roughly in these positions.

So ... sure some missions have intelligence indication.

Up till now I'd assumed that this was information that you get at the start of the battle, and we have covered this in a past thread. It's represented by the kind of transparent contact icons that you see at the beginning.

Are you saying that I'm getting ongoing intelligence report telling me what my opponent is doing? Because this is what I'm talking about: solid contact icons moving around in areas that as far as I can tell I can't see.

And is someone saying that the fact that I am aware of this intelligence only when my camera is flying at certain elevations is just a "percieved bug"?

I'm not aware of ever asserting that anything is a bug that has subsequently been shown not to be. Maybe I have done that. I _try_ to be careful to just ask questions about behaviour, rather than assert "bug", except when it blatantly is a bug (as would appear to be the case in this instance).

Note that one possible explanation is that the contact icon mod that I'm using is somehow broken.

Maybe some time I'll get around to uninstalling the mod and see if the behaviour persists.

GaJ

So ... sure some missions have intelligence indication.

Are you saying that I'm getting ongoing intelligence report telling me what my opponent is doing? Because this is what I'm talking about: solid contact icons moving around in areas that as far as I can tell I can't see.

If you see it moving around, it is a sound contact probably of a moving vehicle. I don't know how much uncertainty there is in sound contact positions; the ones I've noticed have been spot on where the vehicle is when I've been able to tell.

And is someone saying that the fact that I am aware of this intelligence only when my camera is flying at certain elevations is just a "percieved bug"?

No, there is a genuine issue where contact makers disappear at certain camera positions. Sometimes it is a case of the marker being hidden inside a hedge - I've seen obvious contact markers from my mens position, moved the camera to look at the far side of the hedge where the contact would be, and hey presto it has gone. Looking carefully I find a corner of it sticking out of the bocage where it is embedded almost invisibly. But I'm pretty sure markers have also vanished where there is no conceivable shurbbery for the marker to be obscured by.

Maybe some time I'll get around to uninstalling the mod and see if the behaviour persists.

It will - it's around with no mods at all. (And was in CMSF too for me on a completely different computer).

I discovered I was wrong about not having LOS into the area where these icons are appearing. It's clearly going to take some time to get used to what I can and can't see.

Also a useful lesson: if you're getting contact icons, then you can see there .... worth chasing up who can see it :)

However the disappearing and appearing icons is real... I'll send you the file.

GaJ