Erbsenmuster / Dot44

I have been reading about the 12th SS Panzer Division and felt inspired to attempt this.

So, while working on this today I thought I would post a preview and get any critiques on the progress. I have only altered one of the four uniform variations for the m43 uniform.

I would like to produce something that the community would enjoy so I am open to suggestions. I was looking at doing variations in each of the 4 uniforms to create some variety on the field.

Erbsenmuster_Dot44.jpg

Looks Awesome. The SS will officially arrive with the first "Commonwealth" Module along with the Fallschirmjaegers but this would certainly be a welcome addition for those who want to make scenarios involving the SS now. I know the Heer had camo uniforms on occasion but I have no idea how common that was and if there was any difference in pattern. Actually Steve of Battlefront is a camo grog. Maybe he could answer the question. :)

... I know the Heer had camo uniforms on occasion but I have no idea how common that was and if there was any difference in pattern...

It's called Splittermuster (splinter-pattern) and is already in the game, but only as a rolled Zeltbahn on the Kraut backs.

@wyseman76: Looks very good. I like it very much.

Looks Awesome. The SS will officially arrive with the first "Commonwealth" Module along with the Fallschirmjaegers but this would certainly be a welcome addition for those who want to make scenarios involving the SS now. I know the Heer had camo uniforms on occasion but I have no idea how common that was and if there was any difference in pattern. Actually Steve of Battlefront is a camo grog. Maybe he could answer the question. :)

Was recently a thread here that mentioned the Wehrmacht being very keen not to be mistaken for SS so they stuck with their traditional garb.

That and the logistical headache of re-kitting everyone, no doubt.

Earl,

I have a very nice collection of Osprey Books as I have been a historical/fantasy war-gaming miniatures painter and photoshop artist for some time. I also spent a bit of time collecting varius shots around the web. After all of that that I sat down with Photoshop and built a tileable pattern based off of the material I could find.

Earl and Sequoia,

I found that Steve has contributed much to an outstanding sight called Kamoflage.net and he along with others have submitted a wide variety of samples as well as information on the various patterns.

----------------------

Well I have been working very hard on the uniforms and thought I'd stop in to see the chatter. Thank you for the good words. I am working now on getting the variations correct so that the units don't all look completely identical by adding the other SS variations of camo.

A question to those interested in this, would you prefer a dirty version or a clean or two separate packs altogether. By dirty I do not mean completely covered in mud but a bit of battle wear for good aesthetics.

So far my only issue is that there are a few places the UV mapping is not so great making warping and stretching more noticeable with increasingly detailed patterns, the worst so far is the German helmet as it is UV mapped as two separate halves which is fine but the front and rear seams are very warped pointing to a poorly aligned map. Please don't take that the wrong way BF team I know how hard this work can be.

Hopefully this evening I'll have some better pictures up as I get closer to completion.

Wyseman,

Ok a quick update.

Ok so I have settled on staying away from the camo used on Tarnjacke / Smocks as they are not modeled so the tunics will all be Dot-44 for non officers. I added Italian 3 color trousers, as they are a 12th specialty. And ofcourse the Dot-44 and standard M43 trousers.

I have yet to add the dirt and I still have some touch ups to do but this is my progress so far.

test_005.jpg

test_004.jpg

test_003.jpg

test_002.jpg

test_001.jpg

Enjoy.!

Wyseman76

George MC,

As soon they are ready.

Wiggum,

Yes, I did not have AA on but I do run on Best/Best but those are compressed .jpg's. next time I'll turn on AA and will refrain jpg compression.

Earl Gray,

I am assuming you are talking about an actual Dot-44 helmet, if so you can google waffen helmet covers and can find plenty of examples. You can also go to www.kompanie1.co.uk a WWII re-enactment society and take a look at their uniform requirements. If you were talking about the screen shots the first image has a soldier wearing one.

-------------------

I will be working on some minor bugs and alignment issues today and if all is well i'll hopefully post a clean set tonight, no promises of course. Then, I will get to work on the dirty set.

Wyseman76

Earl Grey,

You are quite correct, I can find no official info on cap covers other than what may or may not have been made by troops on the field. So I'm scrapping the covers. I took it for granted that the reenactors would stay true to the part, as is stand on the covers it seems it is more a matter desire than official truth.

Thanks for the heads up.

Wyseman76

GSX , Aragorn2002

as for Wehrmacht camo, It is very likely that when I am done with this I will move to said camo as there are quite a few types used even if rarely. My reason for doing this was the inspiration drawn from learning about the 12th. I might even recommend you yourselves give skinning a shot, it's never to late to learn a new hobby :P

Wyseman76