What difficulty levels are most Mplayer games played at

I'm curious. Not played the series since CMAK and back in my day we didn't have any fancy FOW settings (or did we and I forget?). Anyway, i'm curious what the "standard" for most multiplayer games is set at. I intend to play some with friends but ultimately I’d like to be able to play with some of you all and I'd like to be ready for whatever the standard is.

I prefer elite mode, Iron just gets annoying. When selecting a unit you can't see your other units unless that unit specifically has los to that friendly unit. I guess it takes some of the all knowingness away from the player but the selecting and deselecting units gets terribly annoying after a while.

I prefer elite mode, Iron just gets annoying. When selecting a unit you can't see your other units unless that unit specifically has los to that friendly unit. I guess it takes some of the all knowingness away from the player but the selecting and deselecting units gets terribly annoying after a while.

Yeah, same here. There is no difference in difficulty between iron and elite, but elite is more convenient.

If you are in iron and want to see things clearly, just click on some empty space so you can see all your units: this is the view that you would get with elite all the time. So elite is iron plus one click.

Iron is needlessly masochistic.

[edit to add: ah yes, Ranger33, totally with you too. Didn't see your response]

It doesn't really matter what level I play at. I go into every scenario with the paranoid belief that I'm going to get my a$$ kicked. That tends to make my preperation a little on the long side but it usually pays off. It also makes the Veterans I play against a bit angry when I beat them. :)

The idea in Iron is that you dont change your view from ground level, use the next keys to go to next unit, then you can rotate the camera and give orders. Works best in wego.

I admit I've never done that. I'll definitely have to give it a shot though and see how I like it.

Yeah, same here. There is no difference in difficulty between iron and elite, but elite is more convenient.

If you are in iron and want to see things clearly, just click on some empty space so you can see all your units: this is the view that you would get with elite all the time. So elite is iron plus one click.

Iron is needlessly masochistic.

[edit to add: ah yes, Ranger33, totally with you too. Didn't see your response]

Elite for exactly this reason. I just don't see the point of Iron as you get the same info, just with more work.

...There is no difference in difficulty between iron and elite, but elite is more convenient.

[...]

Iron gives you the possibility to see the cognitive situation a unit is experiencing at a given moment in an easy way. It's simple as that.

It may be that buddy-aid takes longer in Iron mode.

I just had a case in CMA where buddy-aid took 3 minutes in iron mode.

And it also took some time before it started.

Funnily enough, when the team moved on, leaving a wounded comrade behind, because they were in a critical assault, one member started to make a move to give medical aid, but then hesitated and followed the rest. After the action I send them back to take care of the wounded, but then - waiting for it to start and finishing it - it took over 5 minutes.