Will individual soldiers have names?

"Dead space" is in the eye of the beholder :) UIs that have information crammed into every pixel tend to be extremely fatiguing to use. So the "dead space" is more like "breathing room" IMHO.

And no, we have no plans to show individual names for individual soldiers. Generally speaking it's not in keeping with CM's scale. However, as we develop the Campaign over time we might revisit this issue.

Steve

OK, I just thought that since every soldier is now represented, it might be also possible to know who they are.

Also, some UIs use a little "expand" + sign on the corner of a box that lets the player see deeper info, so I imagined something like that could become a flyout roster of the men in a unit, without fatiguing the eye or giving players more data than they care to see at the moment.

I wanna be able to write "Brooklyn" on the back of a soldier's jacket so I can have that one loudmouth from New York who never shuts up.

Audio with Brooklyn accent and attitude must also be included.

Yea,he needs to have a name like "Rizzo" .LOL.Not trying to stereotype or anything,but every American Squad in every war movie about WWII has an Italian guy from Brooklyn named Rizzo.I really thi nk all Italians from Brooklyn must be named Rizzo.:D

LOL. And all the Rizzo's seem to have terrible attitudes but a great sense of humor and they end every sentence with "ova here". They're always good fighters though, afterall, they're descendents of the great Roman armies. "Eh! Dem krauts is shootin at us ova here!" Sounds like a mod project for one of you east coast guys ova here!

Just look at these posts -- you see how much atmosphere a little thing like a name adds to this game? It gets your imagination going, and pretty soon your little guys aren't just pixeltruppen anymore. It's really pretty common now to have named soldiers -- Achtung Panzer:Kharkov has them, so did Theatre of War II (although something was lost in translation when the Russian designers did it -- the minimized GUI showed the soldier's first name rather than last name, so the titles looked kind of silly... "Sniper Tom, Sgt. Roger, etc."

Why no individual names? To quite former Sec of Defense Rumsfeld "People are fungible". ;)

Oh, its also bad luck! It seems every time I get interested in the exploits of a particular pixeltruppen during a scenario that guy's guaranteed to eat a sniper's bullet. Its like my singling out a man automatically turns him into a bullet magnet. Like every gizzled veteran in every war movie made in the last 50 years - its best of you don't make friends. :(:rolleyes:

Names can make everything so much fun.Remember the movie Airplane.:D

One of the many memorable lines from the 1980 film Airplane!

Roger Murdock: Flight 2-0-9'er, you are cleared for take-off.

Captain Oveur: Roger!

Roger Murdock: Huh?

Tower voice: L.A. departure frequency, 123 point 9'er.

Captain Oveur: Roger!

Victor Basta: Request vector, over.

Captain Oveur: What?

Tower voice: Flight 2-0-9'er cleared for vector 324.

Roger Murdock: We have clearance, Clarence.

Captain Oveur: Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Tower voice: Tower's radio clearance, over!

Captain Oveur: That's Clarence Oveur. Over.

Tower voice: Over.

Captain Oveur: Roger.

Tower voice: Roger, over!

Roger Murdock: What?

Captain Oveur: Huh?

Victor Basta: Who?

:D:D:D Watch this movie while drunk,you will never be the same.