Battle of Normandy on Apple's APP store???

Have you thought of putting Battle of Normandy on the new Apple Apps store?

Aspyr Media, the company responsible for the porting of a number of Windows games to the Mac platform, has taken the notable step of embracing Apple's Mac App Store, potentiality leading the way for a surge in gaming interest that could drive growth on the new app marketplace. For its debut, Aspyr is offering Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Civilization IV: Colonization, two notable titles from the company's library of games. Aspyr has told us that it is planning to bring "many" of its titles to the Mac App Store, although some of its games do not meet Apple's current requirements for Mac App Store offerings and will thus be unable to make the transition in the immediate future.

Actually, the terms for the Mac App Store aren't all that onerous when you compare them to other distribution channels like Steam or brick-and-mortar retail: Apple takes 30% of sale price, and reserves the right to refuse to sell your software if it doesn't meet their standards. That's pretty much it. They don't require exclusivity of any kind; you're welcome to sell your product however you choose.

There is an approval process, which can be annoying because it it can take a few weeks before someone at Apple gets around to reviewing your app. But in the case of a game like CMBN, it's very unlikely they'd have any objection.

Compared to what a company has to agree to in order to get their product up on Steam or on the shelves at a retail outlet like Gamestop or a similar retail outlet, I think Apple's terms are actually considerably more reasonable.

Cheers,

YD

first you sign away exclusive rights... then you agree to be an apple groupie, then you agree to apple taking all your profits, then you agree to modify the game down to the average MAC users level ;)

Simple.

Oh, so it's like every other contract with one of the bigger publishers? Nothing new then :)

As someone else pointed out, I don't think exclusivity is required (it would be a showstopper obviously if it was).

yankeedog are you saying the appstore does no quality checks to ensure seemless operation?

As I mentioned, Apple does have review process. AIUI, for both the iOS store and the Mac store, this review process includes some testing to make sure the program will run smoothly, and that it will not interfere with other programs running on the same machine, etc. I don't think this bar is a particularly high one to clear if the App is reasonably well made and doesn't do anything malicious, though. Basically, BFC is going to need to make sure their OSX port of the game meets these standards for anyone to want to run it in OSX anyway.

This is not particularly different from what many other mass market retailers do. Most retailers (of software or otherwise) enforce at least some basic quality standards for the products they will allow on their shelves. Reputation matters in retailing, and if you sell a consumer a piece of crap, they often won't come back to your store again.

Possibly they won't be keen to see any swastikas....

There are already games in the U.S. iOS App store that include swastikas and other Nazi imagery (mostly in the form of enemies to shoot at), so it's reasonable to assume that Apple will apply similar standards to the Mac App Store. I don't think Apple will have any problem with what BFC is doing in this regard. The German App Store might be another issue, but that's due to German laws in this area, not any initiative from Apple.

As someone else pointed out, I don't think exclusivity is required (it would be a showstopper obviously if it was).

The Mac App Store definitely does not require any exclusivity. There are probably some rules about what you can say directly in the App Store about where else you sell the App (that is, I doubt you're allowed to say "To save 25% off the App Store price go to our website to buy this App from us directly rather than through Apple." in the App store description of the App). But from what I understand, Apple doesn't restrict where else you sell the App, or for what price, at all.

The iOS App store is a different matter. But the iOS platform is a "walled garden" as far as Apps are concerned, so that's a totally different situation. Unless you're talking about making apps for jailbroken iPhones/iPods/iPads only, the iOS store is the only game in town.

Cheers

YD

• 5 weeks later...

Seriously. I've been wishing for any of the Combat Mission titles to make it to the iPad. There's a complete dearth of games in this genre on the iOS platform. There are some strategy games, but they mostly fall into the RTS or Risk-game categories. There are some TBS games, but certainly nothing with the depth of CM.

That said, I know the biggest issues have to be:

1. How many people with iPads will buy a CM game on that platform (since most surveys indicate that iOS gamers are more interested in quick, pick up and play games)?

2. How much investment would have to be made to port any of the CM games to the platform - and that includes revamping the UI (and possibly the game) to support a touch device?

2a. How long would it take to bring a CM game to the iOS platform?

3. How much money can be made on a game like this?

While I can guess the answer to some of these questions, I'd still really love to see the CM games make it to the iPad. The platform has a lot of strengths, and the idea of a deep, portable war game - with asynchronous multiplayer and support for match making via Game Center - could be a dream come true!

I'll just keep wishing!

:D

--DotComCTO

Seriously, I wouldn't expect a tablet computer version of CM (whether iOS, Android, some mobile flavor of Windows, or whatever else) anytime soon.

Adapting the newer CMx2 code to run on on iOS (from the OSX version) or a Windows tablet (from the Windows version) might be feasible from a coding/porting viewpoint, but current tablets are nowhere near having enough processor and graphics power to run CMx2 in its current form. So they'd have to "dumb down" the core engine code pretty extensively, which would take a lot of time. And then you have all the work adapting the player interface for a tablet device...

At this point, tablet devices probably do have the raw processor and graphics power to run the original CMx1 games (i.e, CMBO, CMBB, CMSF). But the amount of adaptation it would take to get the get the old CMx1 code running in any of the tablet environments would be huge; probably close to recoding the game from scratch. That's just not going to happen.

But I do agree that there really aren't any interesting tactical wargames out there for mobile devices. I would love to see BFC publish some kind of cool, fun wargame that I could play while I'm out and about -- riding the subway, waiting in line, etc. I'm sure they don't have the coding resources to do this kind of thing in-house right now (CMx2 is obviously keeping their own coders more than busy right now). But you never know; maybe there are some up and coming iOS or Android programmers out there somewhere with a cool ideas for mobile OS wargames, and BFC could help such a project actually make it to market by publishing...

Cheers,

YD