Explosions, fire and everything Special effects.

This might be a touchy subject for BFC because I've seen how much the priorities are set to work on superficial parts of games last but I just wanted to ask.

Is there going to be a bump up in the special effects for CM:N?

Every main game in the CMx1 series had an increase in effects quality from the previous and as it stands now the explosions and fire in CM:BB/CM:AK do look better than the ones in Shockforce.

The smoke and dust is great, nice billowing volumetric looking clouds but the explosions leave a lot to be desired the same 2D low res animation sprite for everything and the fire is in the same bag. No bits of metal and dirt fling around, no volume and no variation make them boring to look at.

Fire graphics would be a good thing to update when flamethrowers are added aswell.

Talking about effects...

Will there be special wounded/dead/destroyed textures for soldiers and vehicles ?

I mean if a soldier is wounded his textures change to a random "wounded texture" showing some blood and maybe a painfull face. If he later gets first aid the texture is changing again with now some bandages on it.

Dead soldiers maybe also with such a bloody and/or wounded texture.

And Vehicles could have a damaged texture showing randome holses ect. just to add to the immersion.

I think this is maybe something for a future game, but it would be add something to the overall immersion.

And Vehicles could have a damaged texture showing randome holses ect. just to add to the immersion.

Not sure you could have random damage.

There are already enough complaints about I saw the round hit "here" but the damage is "somewhere else" (e.g. round hits front of hull and results in a mobility kill).

Imagine what would happen is the round hits the hull front, you get a mobility kill and the "random damage" is dispalyed as a hole in the turret or something?

Will there be special wounded/dead/destroyed textures for soldiers and vehicles ?

I mean if a soldier is wounded his textures change to a random "wounded texture" showing some blood and maybe a painfull face. If he later gets first aid the texture is changing again with now some bandages on it.

Not trying to speak for or interpret BFC corporate policy here, but based on years on this board I don't get the impression that things like that are central to what they are trying to portray as a model of WW II tactical combat. They could of course change their minds, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Michael

Not trying to speak for or interpret BFC corporate policy here, but based on years on this board I don't get the impression that things like that are central to what they are trying to portray as a model of WW II tactical combat. They could of course change their minds, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Michael

Yeah, i know.

And i think it is ok that way because i too dont like to much blood and gore in games.

It would just add to the immersion...a bit.

I'd definitely love to be able to place casualties in the editor for scenario making. As for death animations or what not we have decent ones now, it's a nice compromise. I love the scanning the battlefield after the battle to see where all the heavy fighting took place...this will be even cooler in WWII (Normandy) where it seems losses were much more acceptable than in CMSF.

I pray, pray, pray we'll have some kind of damage on vehicles at some point. If not hit damage at least a much better representation of knocked out vehicles besides a couple doors open or some flames. I had no problem with the droopy gun look in CMX1...

I am hoping building damage has a bit of a face lift in Normandy too...I noticed a hole in a roof in one of the screenies so that is promising.

And ^5 to Emrys for answering civilly without going ballistic/overboard, like a lot of guys tend to do when someone mentions the word blood on these forums.

Mord.

The smoke and dust is great, nice billowing volumetric looking clouds but the explosions leave a lot to be desired the same 2D low res animation sprite for everything and the fire is in the same bag. No bits of metal and dirt fling around, no volume and no variation make them boring to look at.

I admit I like my cook offs, burning wrecks and artillery effects fiery and spectacular as well, and as you sad I loved the way CMBO did that in its time.

Afterall, a field full of burning ronsons should be a sight to warm the hart :D

A 'damaged' or 'knocked out' state for each vehicle and gun also sounds nice, but thinking about that I fail to see how that can be easily done without prepared work like making a 'damaged texture set' for each of the vehicles involved. Yikes :eek:,sounds like some work.

I mean solutions like 'slap some random smudge decals on it' sounds nice to a programming novice like me but is probably a nightmare with all the surfaces on the current models

Maybe the best method is still 'open all hatches and doors on the vehicle and make its gun droop'. But it might not be as convincing looking in game now with the higher state of graphical details as it then was in the CMx1 series.

All this is thinking at loud with no programming experience :)

I wonder what the experts think....

There are no Hummingbirds in Europe! And you call yourself a Grog.

So ship some over, I don't care. Sheesh, making a big deal over a little tiny factual incongruity. Maybe the reason that there aren't any hummingbirds in Europe is that they all got eaten. Ever think of that? Do I have to explain everything to you? Sheesh!

;)

Michael