1940 In Cmbn?

Hi!,

The screens looks terrific!,want that baby in my hands ASAP! :)

BTW, will this time planned add the early WW2 years?, I mean 1939, 1940, etc, would be great play Poland Campaign, Balkans, Greece, Finland, etc and sorry if this had being asked before, thanks in advance!.

Cheers

Niko

Hi!,

The screens looks terrific!,want that baby in my hands ASAP! :)

BTW, will this time planned add the early WW2 years?, I mean 1939, 1940, etc, would be great play Poland Campaign, Balkans, Greece, Finland, etc and sorry if this had being asked before, thanks in advance!.

Cheers

Niko

No not yet. Basicly Normandy will be the main focus and the Modules comming will be about the same area.

They have work planned for the next 10 years.

Battlefront need more programmers :D

Talk about 10 years, I recall all the way back in 2000(?) Steve or Matt mentioning an early war Blitz title as part of their Soviet-style "Five Year Plan" for CMx1. Circumstances prevented that from happening.

Steve mentions in another post here that an early war title had the least likelihood of sales success from among potential titles. You've got to admit the title would be... awkward. The game would end when the French government in Vichy capitulates to the Nazis. Eeew, not exactly a satisfying resolution to shoot for.

Thanks for the answers!

Talk about 10 years, I recall all the way back in 2000(?) Steve or Matt mentioning an early war Blitz title as part of their Soviet-style "Five Year Plan" for CMx1. Circumstances prevented that from happening.

Steve mentions in another post here that an early war title had the least likelihood of sales success from among potential titles. You've got to admit the title would be... awkward. The game would end when the French government in Vichy capitulates to the Nazis. Eeew, not exactly a satisfying resolution to shoot for.

I am not said have to start on that year, BTW, don't need to be a problem you have lot of wargames out there that start on that year(French Campaign-Belgium-Low Countries, Norway, Early China Campaign and Finland) and works very nice, the Germans and many countries use French vehicles/weapons on many fronts (from Balkans, East Front, Pacific to Africa).

I just want to know if that years are planed to make for future "modules" like they are doing with CMSF.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Niko

I just want to know if that years are planed to make for future "modules" like they are doing with CMSF.

Doing early-war WWII would probably require a whole new game; a module would probably not be sufficient because there is so little commonality in equipment and TO&E. ;)

Doing a whole new game about the early war is definitely not on BFC's short list, as Steve has said.

Doing early-war WWII would probably require a whole new game; a module would probably not be sufficient because there is so little commonality in equipment and TO&E.

Doing a whole new game about the early war is definitely not on BFC's short list, as Steve has said.

Thanks Field for the answer.

What about '39? Think about the sales in Poland! What if... If only...

C3k, really to make that type of answer is better don't said nothing, BTW the people don't buy just wargames were his country take part but anyway all is said.

Cheers

Niko

i would not consider this a problem. its like the syrians getting mauled by the US and surrendering in the end. so the game would ship with a german campain only, the germans maul the french and after the last mission the french surrender.

only problem is that it would not make for a whole "game". i can imagine it as a module only.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see an early war title. Tanks trading 37mm shot, Maginot line fortifications. We got a small taste of that in CMAK, 1941 North Africa. But its telling that the majority of 3rd party scenarios made from CMAK attempted to recreate CMBO, not the early war battles, or Italy, or North Africa.

With tongue now OUT of cheek, I do think the obvious issue would be sales versus the commitment required to create the game. I, for one, would LOVE early war CM. I would purchase a Poland game in a heartbeat. However, creating one game obviously takes time away from any OTHER project. What would have to be delayed while early war was being worked on?

On the other hand, would there be enough similarities of TO&E between '39 and '40 such that it would make sense? If '39 and '40 are done, '41 would have a lot of groundwork completed already.

(My "what if" and "if only" comments referred to the Polish campaign and the what possibilities existed if the Poles had not been committed to a defense of the border. I can also see that my comment about sales in Poland could be, and was, misconstrued to imply a lack of sales. On the contrary, I would think a great game highlighting the Poles in a fair manner would sell very highly in Poland.)

Regards,

Ken

...I would think a great game highlighting the Poles in a fair manner would sell very highly in Poland.

I'm sure the game playing fraternity in Poland would be delighted to have it. The question is, just how many players would that add up to? I don't have an answer, but I would hazard a guess that relative to North America and Western Europe, the number is tiny. Now of course there would also be buyers in both those areas for such a game, but again, I would expect them to be but a small fraction of potential buyers for the more popular CM titles.

All that said, I would hope that some day BFC would find itself in the happy position of being so well off that they could afford to occasionally spin off a non-big seller such as an early war family of three or four titles that would include Poland, Denmark, Norway, USSR vs. Finland, France and the Low Countries, and maybe the first year or two of North Africa including Ethiopia and Somalia. If you're gonna dream, dream big!

Michael

On the other hand, would there be enough similarities of TO&E between '39 and '40 such that it would make sense? If '39 and '40 are done, '41 would have a lot of groundwork completed already.

Ken

I suspect not as a 1939 TO&E would presumably be focused on the Poles, the 1940 one perhaps on the Western Allies (France, UK, Dutch, Belgians, Norwegians and Danes) and the 1941 one on Yugoslavia, some more Brits, some early Commonwealth work and some other place to the East with big red flags.

The only real savings there I see would be being able to use some / most of the Brit TO&E for perhaps Greece.

I suspect not as a 1939 TO&E would presumably be focused on the Poles, the 1940 one perhaps on the Western Allies (France, UK, Dutch, Belgians, Norwegians and Danes) and the 1941 one on Yugoslavia, some more Brits, some early Commonwealth work and some other place to the East with big red flags.

The only real savings there I see would be being able to use some / most of the Brit TO&E for perhaps Greece.

Errrr, I was thinking about the Germans. :) I think their TO&E would be similar and a LOT of equipment and models could carry over.

Of course, all the Brit stuff could carry over to the desert. Let's not forget about Sealion. The hypothetical battle in England could then be fought.

Ken

Doing Western Front 1940 would be its own game. No Poland. Not enough similarities in the Germans for it to work, no similarities with the Poles. It would be too much work for the sales we could expect from it.

We are interested in doing a Western Front 1940 game, but it's low priority due to the expected amount of sales from it compared to other things we could do with the same resources.

Steve

Market Garden is another obvious one as both sides get to attack and defend - that is part of what makes a great game/campaign. Really looking forward to Ardennes.

I'm sure it will be a good first module, but I am am a bit blah about Normandy. (I'm from the generation that had to be paid to play Allies.)