NATO vehicle equipment bugs

akd

wieseltow.jpg

Wiesel 1 TOW is missing IR optics from TOW CLU. Should should show and have access to IR Optics when unbuttoned as with the M1046 TOW humvee.

YPRGN.jpg

On the other hand, YPR-765 GN is showing IR Optics. I don't believe this variant should have IR optics (and where would they be if it did?).

cv9035nl.jpg

CV9035NL is missing Battlefield Management System ("VUDT" as on Dutch Leopard 2A6). CV9035NLs were delivered with integrated BMS.

YPR 765 Co has Nightvision mountable on .50 and MAG 7.62mm FN. Its not called IR but Helderheidsversterker (residual light amplifier

) :)

That sounds like an image-intensification sight, not a thermal (IR) sight, and would be encompassed by the night vision device icon under crew equipment. Most of the turret- or pintle-mounted weapons in the game could and probably would make use of such sights in many circumstances, so I see nothing unique to the YPR there.

Remember, unlike IR optics, NVDs don't provide spotting bonuses, but rather reduce spotting penalties in low-light conditions.

That sounds like an image-intensification sight, not a thermal (IR) sight, and would be encompassed by the night vision device icon under crew equipment. Most of the turret- or pintle-mounted weapons in the game could and probably would make use of such sights in many circumstances, so I see nothing unique to the YPR there.

Remember, unlike IR optics, NVDs don't provide spotting bonuses, but rather reduce spotting penalties in low-light conditions.

Basically I agree, but the commander has thermal handheld witch would give the YPR a spotting bonus. But I am not 100% into the game mechanics so I hope Steve will figure out whats the best solution :)

That sounds like an image-intensification sight, not a thermal (IR) sight...

Sorry not trying to be picky but ....

IR and TI are two different things.

IR usually relies on an active source (IR searchlight / headlights) and a passive receiver. So with the right gear you can see for example the IR searchlight beam eminating from the targeting vehicle.

So for example you could use an IR searchlight at night to detect a vehicle that had been static (engine off, etc.) for some time.

TI is passive and detects the heat signature of a given target.

In the above example the TI sight would find it hard to detect the vehicle as its heat signature would have disipated as it cooled down.

Sorry not trying to be picky but ....

IR and TI are two different things.

IR usually relies on an active source (IR searchlight / headlights) and a passive receiver. So with the right gear you can see for example the IR searchlight beam eminating from the targeting vehicle.

So for example you could use an IR searchlight at night to detect a vehicle that had been static (engine off, etc.) for some time.

TI is passive and detects the heat signature of a given target.

In the above example the TI sight would find it hard to detect the vehicle as its heat signature would have disipated as it cooled down.

Yes, but "IR Optics" in CMSF are passive IR, or thermal imaging (TI) as you correctly state. I'm trying not to add additional confusion to the topic. I don't believe active IR plays a role in CMSF, but if active IR is present and working on some of the older Syrian vehicles, then it is not denoted by "IR Optics" under the equipment tab.

Handheld or small arm NV/TI sights are not distinguished in CMSF. If they were, we'd need to see the capability added to many more units than just the engineer YPR.

I noticed that from the Dutch recce teams only the A teams of a section have binoculars. It seems very weird that a recce team wouldn't have binoculars, as they are supposed to leave their fenneks, for instance to go to the edge of a wood or a ridge.

The spotting ability of the Fenneks themselves is very good though. When I send them forward together with Leopards, they often spot enemies long before the tanks do.

I noticed that from the Dutch recce teams only the A teams of a section have binoculars. It seems very weird that a recce team wouldn't have binoculars, as they are supposed to leave their fenneks, for instance to go to the edge of a wood or a ridge.

The spotting ability of the Fenneks themselves is very good though. When I send them forward together with Leopards, they often spot enemies long before the tanks do.

Agree a recce team will always have binoculars, good catch :)

I suppose it is related to the fact that recon teams are part of a recon section - although it doesn't make sense to merge them into the section, it can be done, I just tested it.

Then the binoculars belong to the section, and when split, only the A-team inherits the binoculars, and the GPS set as well. Both teams do however keep night vision equipment.

Not having the budget for two sets of binoculars for recon teams is unbelievable. So, what is the RL reason for this?

I have long wished for (well since NATO came out) a doctrine-type document to explain what seem to be insane personnel or weapon load-out decisions by the NATO forces.

Every Fennek crew has its own sets of Binocular in addition they have an Swarovski Monocular and a Lion TI handheld. The only things who are divided between one ploeg (group 2x fennek) is the Squire Radar and the MAG 7.62 FN. I think it’s a program thingy. But maybe Steve can answer.:)

Every Fennek crew has its own sets of Binocular in addition they have an Swarovski Monocular and a Lion TI handheld. The only things who are divided between one ploeg (group 2x fennek) is the Squire Radar and the MAG 7.62 FN. I think it’s a program thingy. But maybe Steve can answer.:)

Unless there is a particular point you want to make with it just leave the font at the default, would you? That way I don't have to adjust settings to comfortably read your post, and your post alone.

Unless there is a particular point you want to make with it just leave the font at the default, would you? That way I don't have to adjust settings to comfortably read your post, and your post alone.

:eek:

Hmmm didnt notice soz. Maybe cause I made the text in Windows Word :D

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...