STEVE, Normandy/Market Garden Question

Mord

Steve, how are you guys gonna handle the Airborne/ Market Garden Module when it comes to terrain and flavor objects? In CMSF, we got the whole shebang with the main title...so are you gonna include stuff specific to Holland in the main title (Normandy) or will we have regional stuff doled out in modules? Are France and Holland similar enough terrain, foliage, building and object wise that it doesn't matter? I hope not, I think regional flavor will add a lot to the scenarios and their design.

Mord.

I've pretty much kept on top of things, read just about everything he's ever said about Normandy and don't recall any exact answers as to how they'll handle the terrain/flavor object/foliage within the same title. I've seen many things on changes from title to title...from say Normandy/summer to Germany/winter but not within the title and its modules. In Syria we didn't get any new flavor objects or even trees over three years and 3 modules...but that was only one country.

Things do change though so even if it has been answered...maybe a little update as to how it might go would be cool.

I'll do some looking in the mean time...my brain isn't as old and crusty as Emrys' but it's getting there so I may be forgetting something.

Mord.

To quote Sgt Schultz "I know nothing - nothing!" but I doubt they'll add new terrain or doodads in modules or be releasing Holland specific terrain in the initial release. I'm not really sure what you have in mind. Elevated roads? Those aren't Netherlands specific. Surely you don't mean windmills? I think they never added new doodads to CMSF modules as they would cause problems by making scenarios require a specific module when they otherwise wouldn't. I think this is an area where modders can fill in. It seems we have fewer modders for CMx2 though than we did for CMx1. There were some great building mods for CMx1.

Well, I think it shouldn't be too much to hope for to have some Dutch looking buildings.

Perhaps it's all the same to you but I find the difference noticeable. I can generally tell a photograph made in the NL from one in FR. And that's without giveaways like a boulangerie instead of a bakker.

Yes, yes, not an architecture sim, I do realize that. But it'd be nice for Arnhem to not look like Caen.

When we do Arnhem the Allies will all be modded to wear wooden shoes and the Germans will all have tulips in their tunic pockets. That should do it!

Seriously though, we can add new terrain, textures, Flavor Objects, etc. that are Module specific. That's what we are planning on doing for Arnhem. Obviously a LOT of the terrain won't change at all, but there will be new options for terrain that will give a distinct Dutch feel to the scenarios.

Steve