Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Shock Force .... a shocking name for a product ? :)

scottie

Just something about the name Shock Force that seems a bit made up to me (IMO), sounds a bit "gamey" which the product goes out of its way NOT to be. What do you think ?

Combat Mission: Modern Warfare would have been better , or some term that is used by the Mil.

Searching for Shock Force online only appeared to retuned CM so maybe that was the idea, be unique :)

Just an observation , all IMO obviously , no offence intended BF.

Shock and Awe sounded a little bit silly,but that didn't stop everyone from the Whitehouse,The Joint chiefs,The pentagon,all the way down to some private pulling guard duty at an airfield in the middle of no where using it repeatedly during the opening stages of the Iraq invasion.It's a new kinda military,one raised on video games.So,it only makes sense that alot of the terminology sounds gamey.;)

Shock and Awe sounded a little bit silly,but that didn't stop everyone from the Whitehouse,The Joint chiefs,The pentagon,all the way down to some private pulling guard duty at an airfield in the middle of no where using it repeatedly during the opening stages of the Iraq invasion.It's a new kinda military,one raised on video games.So,it only makes sense that alot of the terminology sounds gamey.;)

LOL :) very good.

If your primal association to words 'shock force' is 'shock and awe', you're not much of grogs, I'm sorry to say. Soviets operated whole Shock Armies (udarnaya armiya) since WW2, so the term is far from being new.

thats a good point too , "shock troops" is a well used term. "Shock force" on the otherhand is a term i hadn't heard used. Could be down to the context i first heard it in , "Stormtropper" for me sounds like a comedy term due to Star Wars (i.e heard it here first) , for anyone that took a beatin' from German Stormtroopers in WW2 im sure the word "comedy" wouldnt come into it. All about the context i guess.

A few things I always thought looked cheesy or out of place are the neon green icons and the manual/box art looks comic or cartoon-like. Not a deal breaker for sure, but certainly out of place for a simulation of modern warfare IMO.

I dont find the music on starting or loading very pleasant ether. You can turn it of off course but then no game sound :(

I dont find the music on starting or loading very pleasant ether. You can turn it of off course but then no game sound :(

Naw bro, see this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=93766

Specifically):

Yeah music intro.wav (menu) and music splash.wav (loading). I forget the one for when you finish a battle.

Stick any song (has to be converted to wav first) you like in the Z folder and just rename it accordingly for whether you want it as menu music or loading music.

I now have this as my loading music. Way better than that awful arab "rock"!

And this for menu:

IIRC, the original name for the game was Combat Mission: Stryker Force, but that got changed before release. I am unaware of the reasons for the change as I did not have access to a working computer for almost a year spanning the release date.

Michael

Ouch glad that got changed. Sounds like a bad 80s tv show.

The Stryker was the new toy of the army at the time of release. And there was a heated discussion in army circles if wheels were going to replace tracks or not... Doom was predicted on both sides, if the other side got what they wanted.

The name Stryke® Force was already deposited as trade mark (by the US army I think?), so Battlefront could not use it. There was never was made a game or anything else that qalifies as being close to CM:SF though, so the name should be free again now....

Naw bro, see this thread:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=93766

Specifically):

Stick any song (has to be converted to wav first) you like in the Z folder and just rename it accordingly for whether you want it as menu music or loading music.

I now have this as my loading music. Way better than that awful arab "rock"!

And this for menu:

Excellent , one problem down :) thanks for the post.

As most all of the 'cool' names are already copyrighted I guess the 'official' name for CM:Normandy is going to have to be CM:MonkeyPlateau. That was the only two word combination left un-trademarked! Now I'm bound to get a nasty letter from the Monkey Plateau Scrapmetal Company. :D;)

LOL :) :) )

The original name we came up with was CM: Stryker Brigade, to emphasize we were building the game around the SBCT (which was, at the time, not even operational yet). We tried to trademark the name along with a couple other names. We got a very nice letter, and followup call, from the Pentagon's lawyers informing us that we couldn't do that. And I'm serious, it was actually a very nice lawyer! Don't ask me how that is possible, but it's true! And you lawyers reading this can bite me... 1st Amendment :) Heh.

Coming up with a name for a game that fits several critical criteria at the same time is really, really difficult. Especially for a historical game set in WW2, and even more especially for ones built around specific battles. Even if the name is technically free of legal strings, we might not want to use it because it either doesn't sound all that good or is too well known in some other form (board game, early computer game, etc).

Steve