Will we be getting vehicle decals with CM:*.*Normandy?

Sequoia

Good question. We get random equipment on tanks and infantry, I dont see why decals shouldnt be an option too. Wish there was something like random emblem/pin up art decals on tanks too, so modders could provide the game with more visual variety.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1420944314031780957sayfcN

sPzAbt-Markings.gif

Even multiple skins per vehicle would be nice. Maybe add as an option for those who are concerned about loading times or Vram.

Sounds good but cant help but think there are other features i would take before individualizing vehicles if it was my choice. I mean it all helps create realism which i'm all for but personally i would take the game sooner rather than later if it meant waiting for this feature :) ... i'm getting impatient , too many CM:N treats i cant wait to get my teeth into as it is.

In many ways I think this to-do goody bag is one of the neat side effects of your new methodology Steve. It gives us all some cool features and capabilities down the road that will have that neat-o feeling long after the game is out. Might seem a bit strange to some,but for me it has that certain "surprise" element missing from many other releases. Hopefully it has the same motivating effect on you guys! ;)

Even multiple skins per vehicle would be nice. Maybe add as an option for those who are concerned about loading times or Vram.

That could be easily accomplished I believe...If vehicle bmps ended in numbers like unis, helmets, and buildings then we could have multiple vehicle mods and the user could decide whether to implement them or not. It probably wouldn't be too Vram extensive if the scenarios didn't have a hundred Tigers and the user a hundred Tiger mods..well, you get my drift.

Mord.

It's still planned, but not for Normandy. We pushed that off the ToDo List about a year ago. Way too many things to do for this first implementation of WW2 and Temperate.

Sound great, but this now makes me wonder: Will these decals and stuff then only be available in these later releases - or will you make some sort of patch-like thing that will make them available in the previously released modules - like for instance CM:N?

That could be easily accomplished I believe...If vehicle bmps ended in numbers like unis, helmets, and buildings then we could have multiple vehicle mods and the user could decide whether to implement them or not. It probably wouldn't be too Vram extensive if the scenarios didn't have a hundred Tigers and the user a hundred Tiger mods..well, you get my drift.

Mord.

Yes. Cmx1 had a very welcome feature, an open slot for winter vehilces mods. Even a single extra skin per vehicle would be enough. Its such a shame, the high quality 3d models are a fantastic base and the ww2 camouflage variety is endless.

Well, you wouldn't want emblems and such to be too random, or else every vehicle in the platoon would look like it was in a different division.

The random variations in vehicles and equipment right now (in CMSF) are neutral; they could show up anywhere in the army. Once you start going for specific unit emblems and individual vehicle numbers, everything has to be coordinated. It's a bigger feature to program.

I'd rather have no numbers at all than listen to grogs complain that the XO's tank carries the wrong designation. ;)

Yes, some attention should be paid certainly. Maybe load same div emblems for all tanks and allow different numbers, pin up art etc. Il-2 did this some time ago and it was awesome.

But in reality this shoulnt be turned into a grog headache. 99% of the customer base wouldnt even notice this. They would appreciate however the extra graphical touch. Grogs are a rather narrow minded part of the community and I'm glad BFC are not attached to them too much. These guys can kill a game with their tree over woods thinking.

The code to put decals on vehicles would allow us to do both permanent markings (like unit markings) as well as conditional markings (damage). Coding the display of decals is a moderate amount of work, coding the behavior for when they get applied or how to apply them or how to store/retrieve them... that's where the work comes into play.

We see this as a really nice, desirable graphical enhancement. We do intend on doing it. But with so many much larger things on our plates for Normandy this is not something that we could afford to keep on the ToDo List. We cut hundreds of good ideas over the past few years. Which, sadly enough, came from a list of probably thousands of good ideas accumulated over the last 10 years. There's just way too many cool things to do.

Steve

One thing that would also be cool would be *in-game* swapping of texture/graphics mods and such. This would mean loading up CM, going to a menu page for choosing alternative graphic mods (with defaults in place already, of course), and then jumping back to choose a scenario.

This would enable you to play a scenario as the 29th Infantry Division, then with a few quick menu selections switch to 101st Airborne uniforms for the next scenario. Would it involve more than a routine for telling the game which folder to load graphics from?

Oh, to have everything we want...

One thing that would also be cool would be *in-game* swapping of texture/graphics mods and such. This would mean loading up CM, going to a menu page for choosing alternative graphic mods (with defaults in place already, of course), and then jumping back to choose a scenario.

This would enable you to play a scenario as the 29th Infantry Division, then with a few quick menu selections switch to 101st Airborne uniforms for the next scenario. Would it involve more than a routine for telling the game which folder to load graphics from?

Oh, to have everything we want...

Have you seen Z-Bee's Mod manager?