Begging yet again for Barbarossa to Berlin et al to be made avail with new engine

I just don't like modern warfare games but CM:BB was one of my favourite games. I would be happy to buy a revised and updated version even if it just included a few years from the war on the Eastern Front. As yet another "Shock Force" game is rolled out have there been any statements on whether CM:BB or Overlord might get a makeover? If not, could someone from Battlefront make such a statement? Anyone care to back me up in my begging?

PS I am not a new person I had an account here and was active but long enough ago that my posts are probably long gone...

It has been said a number of times that they intend to develop CMx2 games in three theatres: modern (CM:SF later CM:SF2), west front WWII (CM:N , who knows what they have planned after that) and east front WWII (first family based on Bagration IIRC). It might be two years or so away - and I'm pulling that number out of thin air - but the stated plan is very much to have an east front title out at some point. It seems to be in the "stuff we have on our schedule" pile rather than "stuff we might do at some point" pile.

It has been said a number of times that they intend to develop CMx2 games in three theatres: modern (CM:SF later CM:SF2), west front WWII (CM:N , who knows what they have planned after that)...

A Market-Garden family and a Bulge to the end of the war family. So a total of three for the Western Front. The precise content of the Eastern Front families of games is less certain at this point, but yes, probably a minimum of two years before they begin appearing unless they are interleaved with the release of some of the West Front games.

Michael

It's interesting that in the old days of cardboard wargaming and the early days of computer wargaming they were nearly all about the east front. and everyone wanted to play the axis as they had the sexiest equipment etc. the SS was a particular favorite side to play. especially in cardboard gaming everyone got excited about those elite white on black counters (you older guys will know exactly what i mean). in the last five-ten years that seems to have completely shifted to making games that emphasize the west front from the POV of the Allies.

I can't figure out the attraction. Is that a generational thing?

I can't figure out the attraction. Is that a generational thing?

Quite possibly. During the '70s, the heyday of boardgaming, we younger people in the West were just starting to learn about the War in the East and its sheer magnitude was exciting. I think in the last twenty years, young people come to war gaming knowing only—or at least mostly—what they've seen in movies, and those have mostly been about the Western Allies fighting the Germans. But the circle will probably come around again. East Front war gaming has never been completely absent, and the more the current crop of gamers delve into genuine history, the larger the East Front will loom for them.

Michael

the SS was a particular favorite side to play. especially in cardboard gaming everyone got excited about those elite white on black counters (you older guys will know exactly what i mean).

I also liked a stack of three Russian 6-2-8 SMG squads with a 10-2 leader.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
happy days. unfortunately, most of the crowd here probably have no idea what you are referring to. :(

ASL... Advanced Squad Leader. The Best cardboard Tactical game ever created. There was some great strategic games as well like "Panzer Leader" and I believe "Panzer Blitz" was the other. I had them all.. Had everything for the Squad leader series.. then in a move.. with a my girlfreind. they somehow disappeared... that was way over 500.00 worth of game.. gone.. LOL

Electronicaly game wise The Battlefront series have given us a 3d version of Squad leader-Panzer Leader. I do wish they would come out with updated versions.. as Windows 7 etc is finicky. Also it has graphically aged. Wonderful game that needs to be revised... buffed up and then the masses will again be able wage war!

And yes during my younger days I was fascinated with the black counters as well. lol