CM Afghanistan Q2 release expected

That is a release, that will provide new ways to design scenarios. Snow, water and the adequate vegetation tiles are what we were missing lately to do more realistic landscape.

The Russian materials and uniforms are great to look at.

Can't wait to have one and do some scenarios of convoys attack in treacherous winding mountain roads. Like that was seen in many news reel of the time.

Questions :Are they going to implement anti aircraft firing (by the A.I only) and why not, helicopters putting troops on LZ. I think however, that it might be out of the CM motor feasibility ?

Anyway, that will be great to have it;

Thumb Up

Moreover, they should not have red shoulder boards even in a parade! :)

I presume (and hope) that the infantry models and textures are not final.

There are a few things that do not look right for what concernes Soviet Army uniforms. Take, for example, screenshot #29. What are the soldiers wearing? It's not the "old" shinel' nor it's the "new" padded jacket with fur collar introduced in 1985.

Moreover the shapka-ushanka has a kind of fur colour that I never saw on enlisted soldiers hats, not to speak of the metal badge...

Regards,

Amedeo

Ok guys, some of us might be really expert in Russian uniforms, but do you really think that the way they are dressed in detail as well as the number of stripes of the shoulders straps make a huge difference in the battle algorithm process of the game.

More, I only look closely at the uniforms when viewing shots being made during a battle.For e.g , If the guy doesn't have the right folding spade hanging from its gear, I shall see it but will be forgiven if the AI works fine.

As long as the overall details are good on uniforms, I don't give too much attention to the details.

However, if B.F partner can offer us these details I will not tell them to get rid of them.

Cheers

snake_eye, I find, and I think that many here will agree with me, that one of the key features of the Combat Mission games that makes them so appealing is painstaking attention to historic detail. Furthermore, the uniform inaccuracies could be taken by some as a worrying sign that other, more critical aspects of the game could also be affected by historical inaccuracies. Personally, I'm not too worried; I have trust in BFC, and uniforms are readily modded.

Lets not dish on the game already because the epaulets are the wrong color or the uniforms are off. I understand that some people want an authentic look and feel but let's not turn this thread into a bitch-fest like many WW2 threads where the grogs vent their spleens on whether the camoflage paint for this model of the Tiger or the vehicle skirts for this model of the Panther are authentic become flame fodder for unending debate.

I care more about how it plays than whether the epaulet are the right color.

Well people can probably design and skin whatever kind of uniform they want just like the other CMSF games and I bet when the game is released the community will have all kinds of different Russian and Afghanistan looks for download.I still think the game is looking good even with the BETA pics.

All I can say is good work and keep it up!I will be grabbing this one when it comes out.

Sure enough, modders will bring us all the authentic details that might be needed to give a great accuracy to the game.

For my part I still think that the best accuracies we get into the armaments systems being covered in the game, the best the AI algorithm will benefit of it.

That way, the playability of the game will be close to what the Military are doing in their wargames.

Today we can design a landscape nearly close to a real Operation Area, place on it Red forces and try different attack and or defense layouts. That is already done with the Air Force. You can fly your way into a target and rehearse the best ingress and outgress waypoints depending of the threats, you might encounter. Again the details taken in account are the parameters and not the details of the uniforms. That is war and we could say that we don't do any details in a fight.

However, I recon that to look at the details is pleasant and give a far better look to the game, reinforcing that way its credibility, but not necesseraly its AI ability for the wargaming player.

But, you should not end with an ARMA or ARMA 2, were the look is pleasant, but the AI stays far below what BF can bring us. Yet some armies are using it (modified needless to say)for training their troops in MOUT.

To end it. Good tiles, an excellent AI and great modds, what else do we need.

Maybe an opponent to remind us that we are not the great tactician we think we are.

Cheers

snake_eye, I find, and I think that many here will agree with me, that one of the key features of the Combat Mission games that makes them so appealing is painstaking attention to historic detail. Furthermore, the uniform inaccuracies could be taken by some as a worrying sign that other, more critical aspects of the game could also be affected by historical inaccuracies. Personally, I'm not too worried; I have trust in BFC, and uniforms are readily modded.

Exactly my feelings.

I don't think anyone is dishing out the game because of the graphics.

I did point out a couple uniform-related inaccuracies just because the CM series already spoiled us in this regard. And I didn't comment about the accuracy of the simulation itself not because I favour eye-candy ove realism (I'm a wargamer not a modeller) but because I consider it a given, judging from my CMBO/CMBB/CMAK/CMSF experience.

I will get CMA as soon as possible because I like the CMx2 game engine and I am interested in that particular conflict.

Regards,

Amedeo

Any one with issues with uniform details has to take it up with Snowball, not Battlefront as Snowball did all the graphic art and even redid the vehicles Battlefront had already done for CMSF. Alex has the advantage here since he can speak Russian.

The game looks good so far. The weapons, AFVs and vehicles all look and work as they should, which is the important part. The terrain has been tweaked and overall, there is a nice '80s cold war Afghanistan feel. So far, I personally enjoy CMA more than CMN :). There may be an issue with some of the uniforms, but nothing is final yet, wait until the final product comes out.

Exactly my feelings.

I don't think anyone is dishing out the game because of the graphics.

I did point out a couple uniform-related inaccuracies just because the CM series already spoiled us in this regard. And I didn't comment about the accuracy of the simulation itself not because I favour eye-candy ove realism (I'm a wargamer not a modeller) but because I consider it a given, judging from my CMBO/CMBB/CMAK/CMSF experience.

I will get CMA as soon as possible because I like the CMx2 game engine and I am interested in that particular conflict.

Regards,

Amedeo

The skins are probably just place holder until everything else is sorted out.