Blatant Production Falsehoods re: Warriors

c3k

Gents,

Last night watching (nevermind) they stated that the total UK production of Warrior IFV's was 789 units. That's a lie. As of this morning, I have singlehandedly directed my 800th Warrior's destruction. (Piccadilly Circus is the culprit. Thanks! :) ) Based on the combat life expectancy of any Warrior given to me, if that 789 figure were real, the Brits would only be planning a 6 day war. Based on how many I use in CMSF, the REAL production must be classified.

:)

Ken

There is something fishy about the survivability/lethality equation there, although there is also the possibility that you're not using them properly, or the sheer uberness of the British soldier isn't showing through.

Of course, in real life where there are hostile armour forces about, Warriors don't go anywhere without a whole bunch of Challenger 2s.

On the other end of the spectrum, I rediscovered just how tough Brads are.

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/bradtough1t.jpg/

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/bradtough2q.jpg/

First picture driver was wounded by unk ATGM, hence the two man crew and ten passenger seats. In the second picture, both Brads took hits from late model RPGs and kept it moving without loss or significant damage.

Ah... ERA makes all the difference :D

I remember some footage of a Bradley by either a river or a canal in downtown Baghdad during the initial foray into the city. It got hit by an RPG on its rear right flank (IIRC) and you could see the burn out of the round and the ERA block/s. The Brad backed up, dropped its ramp, then the crunchies came out and made short work of whoever fired it. The Brad was completely operational.

Steve

*shrug* Once an ERA-equipped Warrior of mine withstood at least four hits from SPG-9 and RPG rounds on its starboard side, but then a last SPG-9 round made it blow up. :(

"Sounds like a design flaw to me!"

In case some of you guys don't understand where that comes from:

As often as my Bradleys and Warriors (even ERA-equipped ones) get knocked out by single RPG-7 rounds, it was refreshing to see one take more hits without internal damage or passenger casualties. The ironic thing, though, is that the Warrior in question only took that many SPG/RPG rounds in the first place because the first SPG round wrecked its starboard tracks. :rolleyes:

Quite the vid. At times I was laughing, at times I was staring in dismay. :D

My god, that link made me laugh so hard I spit my drink all over my screen.

My wife worked in PMO (Project Management Office) for the Department of National Defence. From what she told me, the 'thinking' of project management personnel wasn't far off from what the link lampooned.

Ironically, it was the Bradley that only made it into service after a number of fudges and fixes when it was found that even an innoucous RPG hit could trigger catastrophic explosions, to the detriment of those inside...

Warriors aren't useless and can even knock out MBTs, but seem to be very fragile and often get smoked by Warsaw Pact IFVs in 1v1s. They pulled their weight on the second to last campaign battle:

Image0026.jpg?t=1257250780

how are warriors better in taking out a MBT versus any bradley (even the aluminum ones)?

the 30mm isn't that powerfull in my experience; especially compared against TOWI/II

He didn't say better, but that they can take out an MBT (generally a big complaint against the warrior). Compared to an ATGM the 30mm is a spitball, but if you can get a rear or sometimes a side shot you can do damage. Usually best done with 2 or so warriors so you can concentrate fire. Far from ideal, but it can be done.

What I don't understand is that how Bradley and Warrior of the 1980's can weigh over 10 tons more than BMP-1 of the 1960's yet basic functionality is the same: you bring 7 dismounts to the battlefield, fire a few shots, get hit and explode.

Because in the real world, the Bradley and Warrior have vastly superior fire control systems and the troops aren't squished in like sardines?