What has changed in the code to make building rooftops ridiculous death traps?

DaveDash

I was doing an AAR for Following the Euphrates but I got completely owned by the AI when I moved men onto the roof.

Now, they were rooftops with the small walls, looking DOWN on the enemy, who had guys in the BACK corners of buildings riping my guys to shreds through multiple walls. Like honestly half my squad would die as soon as going on the roof. I would have done better to run them out in the open.

I remember I think c3k starting a thread where one his guys shot through 3 walls killing the AI on the roof, well, this seems to happen both ways. It's almost as if there is a LOS/LOE bug with being on a roof.

I also remember when I started playing the Brits module at being surprised by an entire squad being wiped out on the roof the objective building in mission 1, which overlooks all other buildings in that mission. Ive also subsiquently noticed playing some older missions where I remember there being a lot of resistance, the AI's troops are all wiped out. They're either on rooftops or balconies. Something has definitely changed here.

I dont have any saves sorry, since I quit in frustration, but Im sure I could whip up a quick test if need be. However im sure other people MUST have noticed this?

EDIT

So I just did a test. Blank map, with one building 1 story and the other 3 stories. US squad on the roof, Syrian squad in the building.

The entire US squad was cut down in SECONDS except for one scared sh1tless dude.

rooftopowned.jpg

Edit: I crossposted with Sergei and DaveDash. Sergei, where is the intent to correct this behavior stated by BF.C/a rep? My original is below:

As you've stated, I did start a thread with a similar theme. My "issue" (my quotes!) was and is that the fire can be traced THROUGH multiple levels of a building, as well as THROUGH multiple external walls.

I like that the interior of buildings is modelled in an implicit manner. This is NOT a gripe about not spotting the guy in the corner of the floor of the building I just entered. I imagine that I just cannot see the furniture and the separate rooms.

Rather, this seems to allow bullets to be TARGETED ACCURATELY through walls - not windows or doors - and not just one wall, but several. As well, ACCURATE fire to a floor directly above or below your floor can be imagined to take place up or down a stair well. Not so for firing THROUGH MULTIPLE levels.

A tweak would be nice. :)

Thanks,

Ken

It's a bug but it'll be corrected in the next patch!

Right, sorry, should have searched first. Ive never seen infantry die that fast, even in the open. lol.

As you've stated, I did start a thread with a similar theme. My "issue" (my quotes!) was and is that the fire can be traced THROUGH multiple levels of a building, as well as THROUGH multiple external walls.

I like that the interior of buildings is modelled in an implicit manner. This is NOT a gripe about not spotting the guy in the corner of the floor of the building I just entered. I imagine that I just cannot see the furniture and the separate rooms.

Rather, this seems to allow bullets to be TARGETED ACCURATELY through walls - not windows or doors - and not just one wall, but several. As well, ACCURATE fire to a floor directly above or below your floor can be imagined to take place up or down a stair well. Not so for firing THROUGH MULTIPLE levels.

A tweak would be nice. :)

Thanks,

Ken

Yeah the issue you reported I noticed also, from a Syrian AI sniper in the back corner of a building, shooting THROUGH his building walls (back corner, no where near the windows) and killing my guys on a roof miles away. My guys couldnt even target him, they fired 2 Javelins at his building and both hit the walls on their side leaving him unscathed.

The entire US squad was cut down in SECONDS

I experienced such a thing, too. I had a US squad on the rooftop (with high walls) of a 2 story building and a syrian (special forces) squad in the street below (open ground). The US were slaughtered one after the other in a few seconds, without the possibility to reply to the syrian fire.

It was frustrating...

EDIT: I see now that this is a bug that will be fixed with the next patch. That's good news indeed!

And Finnish closets are extremely dark and well stocked with vodka :)

Yes, this has been addressed. It was an overcorrection to a particular issue of rooftops being too safe. Apparently in the process of fixing that a condition was opened up for it swinging in the opposite way towards little to no protection. It is fixed already and you should be getting it soon.

Steve

My experience all along (that is, before v1.20) has been that the only instances when it was safe to put units on rooftops was when said rooftops were 300+ meters from where combat was happening and when said units were assigned point-blank-range cover arcs so that they didn't give away their position by opening fire.

In playing "USMC The Old City", to have units on uppermost floors or roofs of buildings and allow them to engage was to invite their annihilation; but perhaps that was in large part due to the minimal range between the rooftops I was able to gain and ones already occupied by Red. However, in "USMC FISHing in Garmsir", a scenario with a much larger map and thus greater engagement ranges, moving units to rooftops or floors with balconies was likewise to invite their decimation, thanks to Red having no shortage of snipers and PKMs.

In playing "USMC The Old City", to have units on uppermost floors or roofs of buildings and allow them to engage was to invite their annihilation; but perhaps that was in large part due to the minimal range between the rooftops I was able to gain and ones already occupied by Red.

(OMG, somebody actually played my one and only self-made scenario!)

You are right about the setup. The Reds where positioned intentionally to deny Blue use of the rooftops. They achieved this nicely even prior to 1.20!

Reminds me to try out this scenario with the latest version! I am sure that it plays differently now than with earlier versions ...

Best regards,

Thomm

(OMG, somebody actually played my one and only self-made scenario!)

And found it a blast! :D Well done on the scenario-making, Thomm!

I've played it several times, in fact.

Reminds me to try out this scenario with the latest version! I am sure that it plays differently now than with earlier versions ...

Yeah, I'm sure the Marines won't even need to have spotters on the rooftops; they'll be able to spot and annihilate the roof-lurking Syrians from street level. :rolleyes: