CM:Normandy Campaigns- A real B*tch?

So I'm thinking (a dangerous thing yes I know) that campaigns in WWII will have to be handeled differently than CMSF given the much heavier casualties one would expect especially in the initial battle (which I'm guessing will often be a breakthrough attempt). Possibly the player can expect to see significant replacement to his core units.

What are your thoughts? Or should the main campaign be the race across France or an attempt to close the Falaise gap rather than the slogging through the hedgerows and breakout battles?

Oh, yeh. You've got something of a point. some individual units were getting cumulative casualtiy rates of over 100%! For American units, replacements were dribbled-in in a very ineffective manner. The life expectancy of the 'new guy' was almost zero - especially green young lieutants. CM:Normandy would need a robust unit replacement scheme, but to stay accurate the incoming troops should be crap.

The game's GOT to have hedgerows. There's already complaints that nobody's going to be wading off LCTs in waist-deep water. You can't take away hedgerow fighting too! Separated Normandy hedgerow and Cobra breakout cmpaigns would make sense, especially since Cobra gets to play with Culin hedgecutters for the first time.

Yup, good points. The campaign will be limited to the Normandy area, of course, so "race across France" isn't an issue. However, high casualties should be fairly frequent. Easy enough to handle, though, by changing the amount of replacements available. That's already in the code so it's a no-brainer from a technical standpoint.

Hedgerows will not only be in CM: Normandy, but they will be deformable unlike CMBO's solid walls with magical teleportation through them.

Steve

Hope you guys dont forget the British. Would be awesome if there are churchills in the game. I live in Portsmouth where the invasion was deployed from and we have a churchill crocodile and sherman outside the D day mueseum :).

Cant wait for a real time ww2 combat mission. As much as I love the old ones turn based play always gets to me after a while on the larger levels.

Hope you guys dont forget the British. Would be awesome if there are churchills in the game. I live in Portsmouth where the invasion was deployed from and we have a churchill crocodile and sherman outside the D day mueseum :).

Cant wait for a real time ww2 combat mission. As much as I love the old ones turn based play always gets to me after a while on the larger levels.

The Poms are in the follow-up module (commonwealth forces) if i remember correctly... :)

The Poms are in the follow-up module (commonwealth forces) if i remember correctly... :)

I hope your wrong about that! Im not going to pay for a "Normandy" module to only be playing one third of the invasion forces. As I understood it the first Module of the ww2 games would be the Normandy theatre so we should get ALL troops(and equipement) that fought in the battles for those beaches.

I hope your wrong about that! Im not going to pay for a "Normandy" module to only be playing one third of the invasion forces. As I understood it the first Module of the ww2 games would be the Normandy theatre so we should get ALL troops(and equipement) that fought in the battles for those beaches.

The first WW2 game is set in Normandy - Yes! But there are modules to go with this. If you pile everyone in in the base game there is hardly any point to BF putting out the modules is there?

Besides, the Poms will still be licking their wounds after losing the Ashes to Australia again - they wont be ready to come in until the 1st module..... haha

I dont mind paying for the modules, as Steve stated we will in all probablility be getting more things to play with overall with it being done this way...

Follow up CORE games are styled around Market Garden / Ardenne etc...i believe.....or should i say hope....:D

Jeez, how did you guys miss all this :D. The first WW2 title with feature the US side against a limited number of German formations. Then, shortly after (!), the second module will arrive with commonwealth forces and some new German forces. After that, who knows what will be added. You will get Tigers in the base game but will have to wait for the first module to get King Tigers (and possibly SS troops).

BFC is a US game company and, lets face it guys, there's a LOT of American gamers who don't want to play as anybody else but themselves or as somebody else against themselves. Much as it frustrates me having to play with US forces first when I really want to play with the Brit stuff (with WW2 I'll play as the Germans) it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to make the largest part of their customer base to wait for the first module to see their own forces modelled.

In fact, don't be surprised if there's new US stuff in the Commonwealth module (Paras probably) to keep the US boys happy.

Yeah, I've got no problem with the US getting the main title to itself. It is the unfortunate reality of the market place. I'd be less understanding if the first module after the title would be more US though, like it was with CMSF.

If they do go for Commonwealth, I doubt they can include more American stuff. With the plethora of equipment needed to model them, and the need to flesh out the Germans they have more then enough on their plates already.

Well as long as we get the brits with churchills centaurs and piats etc at somepoint I will be happy. :P

And I am the same as you I like playing as germans over americans in ww2 if Brits are not avaliable. Sorry Americans but the german tanks and uniforms are so much better;).

And I am the same as you I like playing as germans over americans in ww2 if Brits are not avaliable. Sorry Americans but the german tanks and uniforms are so much better;).

I agree. The bad guys usually have better tailors and designers, eg. StarWars' Empire vs Rebels. Perhaps if they spent less money on looking good and more on the war effort, they'd win occasionally? ;)

Roll on CM:N.

I agree. The bad guys usually have better tailors and designers, eg. StarWars' Empire vs Rebels. Perhaps if they spent less money on looking good and more on the war effort, they'd win occasionally? ;)

Roll on CM:N.

I believe HUGO BOSS had some input into uniform making - specifically for the SA and SS...

He makes a hell of a nice suit!

BFC is a US game company and, lets face it guys, there's a LOT of American gamers who don't want to play as anybody else but themselves or as somebody else against themselves.

On what do you base this statement on? As an American I disagree with your claim.

Much as it frustrates me having to play with US forces first when I really want to play with the Brit stuff (with WW2 I'll play as the Germans) it wouldn't be realistic to expect them to make the largest part of their customer base to wait for the first module to see their own forces modelled.

Or you can just wait until the module comes out, buy the base and the module and be happy as a clam.

In fact, don't be surprised if there's new US stuff in the Commonwealth module (Paras probably) to keep the US boys happy.

Like all the new US kit they added to the CM:SF Brit mod.....oh wait, they didn't do that. Hhhhhhhmmmmm.....

On what do you base this statement on? As an American I disagree with your claim.

A trend that BFC have admitted to observing in the past.

Like all the new US kit they added to the CM:SF Brit mod.....oh wait, they didn't do that. Hhhhhhhmmmmm.....

They included the IBCT and LMTV truck with the British, didn't they?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. It just gets a bit wearisome to see the Yanks perpetually catered to more then others. It's only natural, but wearisome.

Well get your own game company to make a game for you Brits! hehe Im just kiddin.;) I do agree though that most US gamers want to play as US and nobody else. I dont want to play as Germans or Brits, just like you want the opposite. It shows were patriotic! Also, I think that the German uniforms SUCK! Of couse im an American and most Americans like the look of green shirts and brown pants and boots. I also like the rank patches that the Americans have better. The European ones look upside down to me.:confused: Black or grey just isnt the color for a combat uniform, nor a general's uniform. At least to me its not. But nevertheless us Americans wont forget our brothers in arms.

(we wooped your butts in the War for Independance, which my great, great, great grandpa was in. haha just messin with you)

. I also like the rank patches that the Americans have better. The European ones look upside down to me.:confused:

Well considering most European Countries had there Rank structure in place over 500 years before your country was even thought of its strange that you think ours are upside down :D

And WOW been part of this forum for nearly 6 1/2 years and I only have 5 posts :/

I think he's English.

Ouch.

So I guess when he said that 'we' whooped 'your' butts in the Revolution he was talking about the battle of New York or Charleston and not Saratoga or Yorktown?

Posted by SeanRamey

Of couse im an American and most Americans like the look of green shirts and brown pants and boots. I also like the rank patches that the Americans have better. The European ones look upside down to me. Black or grey just isnt the color for a combat uniform, nor a general's uniform. At least to me its not. But nevertheless us Americans wont forget our brothers in arms.

(we wooped your butts in the War for Independance, which my great, great, great grandpa was in. haha just messin with you)

Do'h!! Looks like some crossed wires in this thread. :)

So I guess when he said that 'we' whooped 'your' butts in the Revolution he was talking about the battle of New York or Charleston and not Saratoga or Yorktown?

Naw, I was talkin bout the overall war, but who cares.

Do'h!! Looks like some crossed wires in this thread.

Huh. Dont quite get what u mean.

Well considering most European Countries had there Rank structure in place over 500 years before your country was even thought of its strange that you think ours are upside down

Yeah I know, Americans are just plain nuts arent they, especially me.:D

BFC is a US game company and, lets face it guys, there's a LOT of American gamers who don't want to play as anybody else but themselves or as somebody else against themselves.

I'm an American, and in CMx1 I usually play as the Germans, whereas in CMSF I usually play Blue. *shrug*