Small Arms & Ammo Types

Every time I go to grab some ammo for infantry from a vehicle, I find my self mousing over the weapon icon trying to figure out what ammo do I need! Do I need 7.62, just 5.56 or both? I wish the text in the weapon name would also specify the ammo type!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its just the learning curve. In no time distinguishing 5.56 weapons from 7.62 weapons becomes automatic. For a short while it might be useful to occasionally move your cursor over any strange weapon icon to get its name, then drop out of the game and Google it. Within 10 seconds: Ohhhh, so THAT's what a L115A3 sniper rifle is! :D

Its just the learning curve. In no time distinguishing 5.56 weapons from 7.62 weapons becomes automatic. For the a short while it might be useful to occasionally move your cursor over any strange weapon icon to get its name, then drop out of the game and Google it. Within 10 seconds: Ohhhh, so THAT's what a L115A3 sniper rifle is! :D

Heh. Except that's a bad example because the sniper rifle guys don't draw their ammo from the common squad/vehicle pool. Or has that changed since the newest patch?

Its just the learning curve. In no time distinguishing 5.56 weapons from 7.62 weapons becomes automatic. For a short while it might be useful to occasionally move your cursor over any strange weapon icon to get its name, then drop out of the game and Google it. Within 10 seconds: Ohhhh, so THAT's what a L115A3 sniper rifle is! :D

This is my point, I shouldn't have to google something in game, the game should give me the info I need!

I'd agree if this was the year 1999 and reference material was a precious commodity. Once somebody knows An L85A2 rifle fires NATO standard 5.56 and can use an M16's clip they know it forever. Where they got the info is beside the point. We're talking rifle ammo. The next person will want stats on body armor abilities, or weapon weight, or terminal ballistics, or TUM tire pressure over soft ground, or the amount & type of explosive filler in a thousand pound bomb. And that information is all just a few clicks away. Just not in an in-game database.

I've browsed the manuals, probably even read them, and yet I keep pdf copies of them on my desktop so I can <alt-tab> out of the game at any time to reference them. I find this comes in handy for checking all kinds of things like a spotted unit's armament and range of fire. There is a lot of information in the manuals that I wouldn't expect to be in the game, but then I have a history of buying games with really thick manuals, e.g. Falcon 4 or (from BF) Dangerous Waters.

As long as we remain in the modern setting ammo types are pretty easy to figure out. All NATO rifles use 5.56 while all Warsaw Pact weapons use 7.62, the one exception is the AK 74 which uses 5.56. While any machine gun uses 7.62.

As a general rule of thumb. You can simply see what types of ammo the squad has, and decide from there what kind to pick up.

@pad

mate iam verry sorry, dont take it personal, but do you ever considered the friggin manual as part of the game!?

there are just a few more things more unnessesary then creating a thread about a question you get answerd in the manual that shiped with the demo or the game!!! i mean come´on...!

@mikey

you want to tell me "you" didnt figured the LMG variant of a modular weapon system does fire the same ammo as the base rifle? ;):D its not like convertible kits, as the Steyr AUG 9mm para kit for example, are used often in armys.

askthemanual2.jpg

As long as we remain in the modern setting ammo types are pretty easy to figure out. All NATO rifles use 5.56 while all Warsaw Pact weapons use 7.62, the one exception is the AK 74 which uses 5.56. While any machine gun uses 7.62.

As a general rule of thumb. You can simply see what types of ammo the squad has, and decide from there what kind to pick up.

No, that doesn't really work.

AK-74, AKS-74U, RPK-74 all use Russian 5.45x39mm.

PK, PKM, PKT use 7.62x54R, a full power rifle cartridge, as does the SVD, but with sniper ammo.

AKM, AKMS, RPK use 7.62x39mm, an intermediate cartridge. RPD looks like an MG, but uses 7.62x39, as well.

DSHK heavy machine gun uses Russian 12.7mm.

AKD, so does this mean the PK, PKM, and PKT are unable to get ammo from vehicles?

I was unaware that there were two types of 7.62 ammo, and just assumed all Syrian weapons used a single type of 7.62 ammo, besides the AK-74 family.

I guess that's what I get for not reading past the x.:o

OK Let me see if I get this straight:

AKD sez two types of Syrian 7.62 ammo. One fits Guns starting with "P" and another for guns that start "A"

Pandur sez there is no ammo re-supply for the "P".

So when I run Syrian out of "P" ammo I should not be able to get resupplied by BTR/BMP.

I am going to test this out right away an supply pics of whatever results I get.

@pad

mate iam verry sorry, dont take it personal, but do you ever considered the friggin manual as part of the game!?

there are just a few more things more unnessesary then creating a thread about a question you get answerd in the manual that shiped with the demo or the game!!! i mean come´on...!

There is no Marine or Army Manual in the Demo, Duh!!! The info isn't in one manual but three different ones. How is someone just trying the British demo to get all of the manuals, huh? Next time try learning how to use a spell check next time, Ok! ;)

It's a minor thing, BFC can just add it the list.

There is no Marine or Army Manual in the Demo, Duh!!! The info isn't in one manual but three different ones. How is someone just trying the British demo to get all of the manuals, huh?

By opening the following PDF included with the demo:

CMSF Game Manual v1.20

Mind you, it doesn't include the Marines specific content, but really the only thing missing is the M16A4, and I think a slow child could figure that one out.

Ammo re-loads for both MG and Rifles are fine.

This pics is empty MG

RedPKMempty.jpg

This pic is re-supply via BMP

RedMGresupply.jpg

I think the confusion may come for the more knowledgeable player here:

RedRifleAmmore-supply.jpg

As you can see in the Acquire list Rifle ammo is listed as 5.45...

Where's 9mm for the pistols?