Timeline for CM Normandy?

Most likely June 1944.

Hilarious Redwolf! Remind me to challenge you to a friendly PBEM-game when CM Normandy finally is published... ;-)

And another thing. I had a very good reason for my question about the timeline but now I'm not gonna tell you.

Well, you are welcome.

I was just about to remind people that we were beating up BFC for releasing CM:SF too early. We can't just turn around and now beating them up for not making up a bogus date that later will be missed or -worse- rushed.

Will Paradox or CDV or some other of those messer-uperrs be involved in the initial Normandy release?

Has someone mentioned a timeline for the coming CM Normandy? Or has it been discussed in a thread somewhere?

The latter that it comes... the beter for us: the players.

We expect a product with a similar number of features than CMBB or CMAK, nothing less, will be satisfactory... since we aren't graphics whores, and eyecandy is not the main thing in a wargame at all!. We can keep playing CMBB or CMAK for ages, until a new product equals those two products.

How did my innocent question about the timeline turn into a "when will CM Normandy be released"-thread.

I meant the timeline IN the actual game, like 6.6.-24.7.1944 for instance. I just would have been nice to know (or speculate).

The end of the time line is not depending of a date but of terrain and equipment. CMx2:Normandy will include the whole fighting in Summer 44.

All that includes aspects which where not present in June till September 1944 will be out of the time line. (new equipment, autumn and winter graphics). Market Garden supposedly makes it just in.

So "on the ground" the line between first and second full CMx2:Westfront title will be the wooded hills on the German border.

How did my innocent question about the timeline turn into a "when will CM Normandy be released"-thread.

I meant the timeline IN the actual game, like 6.6.-24.7.1944 for instance. I just would have been nice to know (or speculate).

Oh. You actually meant that? You ruined my joke, you jerk.

I think CM:Normandy will be a fictional 1943 landing, but don't quote me on that.

Heh... I am sad to see Redwolf's joke go down in flames too, since I also thought it was funny :D

Tagge,

Smaragdadler's synopsis is correct when looking at the whole of the 1st WW2 "Family" of games. That means the base Title and the follow up Modules. The initial base game will cover June through roughly August sometime. The whole Family will cover up to roughly September.

We're not big on hammering down exact dates (e.g. June 6, 1944 - August 12, 1944) at this point because they're not entirely relevant. By that I mean if we said "the game will only simulate June 7 - June 10th, 1944" you could still make plenty of historically accurate battles going into about September with a careful selection of forces. What you couldn't do is simulate a battle in September which used equipment/units that weren't available in June.

That make sense?

Steve

The better release date for this awaited CM"normandy" is 6 June, isn't it?

Pat

It would be a cool release date, but I don't see it happening. Given that CM:N hasn't been officially announced yet, I don't think we'd see a release in two months. However, Steve said that CM:N would be coming within 2009, so hopefully we will already have it in our grubby little hands come 6 June of next year.

I think one danger of a 'public beta' is some personality types will no doubt become invested in having 'feature X' changed to suit their tastes. They'll use the game's 'Beta' status as an excuse to fixate on their proposal, and wind up raging against fate on the forum if (when) their ideas are not implimented. Me, I still hold a grudge against BFC for ignoring my fantastic 2006 idea of putting working wristwatches on all troops ;)

I think one danger of a 'public beta' is some personality types will no doubt become invested in having 'feature X' changed to suit their tastes. They'll use the game's 'Beta' status as an excuse to fixate on their proposal, and wind up raging against fate on the forum if (when) their ideas are not implimented.

Sure, but they do that either way. I don't see how it gets any worse with a public beta.

The risk is bad press from people bashing the game during the public beta before it is on sale. But I'm pretty sure that's no real change from the CM:SF release where the bashing clearly overtook the speed of sale, too.