BV 202 in British module?

M1A1TC

just being curious here, what exactly is the point with making it a jointed tandem vehicle? Couldn't it just be longer or would that just make it the "super gavin" (oh the humanity)

It offers a better cross-country ability. Imagine driving across a Swedish hilly forest landscape in the winter - there are many ways to get stuck with a normal Gavin. But when it's two parts, even if one section gets stuck the other half can help the whole vehicle out. If the whole vehicle is not needed, the rear section can be detached.

Since both cabs have power I suspect that it can run even if it has broken one track

I don't know if it can, but I find that unlikely. Maybe it could drag itself on a road. Imagine a M2 Longstreet (I think that's a good name) halftrack with a busted wheel.

The other reason is we do not have a need to code a tandem vehicle like the BV206. Since it's not a trivial thing to code, we don't want to do it just for the one vehicle.

Now Steve, you know we are all expecting a detailed simulation of armored trains on the Eastern Front from y'all, so you might as well get to work now! ;)

Heh... armored trains... that brings back some memories :)

Yeah, the tandem thing is a HUGE benefit. It doubles the capacity of the vehicle without increasing ground pressure, yet not making the thing so bloody long that it can't do anything more than negotiate a 4 lane highway! The BV202 was a development based on the shortcomings of the M29C Weasel, which basically boiled down to not being big enough for the jobs asked of it. The model was moderately successful, but it had all kinds of problems. That resulted in the BV206, which is "perfect". Well, except for maintenance :D

Steve

Oh, so the French invaded England and forced it to spell its words all stupid and stuff? I must have read a different history book :D

Steve

When the Normans invaded England they brought their language and culture to the country too. As they took over the whole nobility, French was the first language of that country for a couple of hundred years after that for the ruling classes. Old English was merged with French into a new hybrid language. This can be easily seen by what we name our various meats; Pig, becomes Pork and Sheep becomes Mutton, both derivatives from the French names for those animals but being used as the meat from them as opposed to their English names.

Of course fries are very small Chips, but Chips taste better, especially with Broon sauce and a bit of vinegar.

Just checking, but you are aware that some history happened before 1492?

Yup, but I figured that 500 years would be enough to shake off the French influence. Heck, the French have only been working at shaking off the English influence for a few years and they've done a pretty good job of it. So I guess what you're saying is that the French are more efficient than the English, or that the English secretly love their connection to the French language and therefore mock it out of love and respect. Having lived in England for a while, I would find the latter hard to believe even if it weren't for

:D Then again...

BTW, for years now it's been illegal for software stores in France to sell games that aren't in French. I don't know what impact the EU has had on that law or if it's lost steam on its own. Anybody in France know? Just curious now that I think about it!

Steve

When you English stole "Manoeuvre" from the French you must have been in dire straights at the time! Hell, maybe that's why the Pilgrims left for the New World... to have the freedom to use words that are spelled in a way consistent with the English language? Either that or all that scurvy left them without the mental capacity to retain difficult spelling? Either way, someone blame for all those Fs and Ds I racked up in grammar school :) Cripes, without a spell checker I spell far better better in German, Spanish, and Croat better than English!

Steve

and around here you can drive it for hundreds of miles without covering the same ground.

For those wondering, Steve does not live in downtown Manhattan. It would take me seven hours of highway driving to get from the bottom of the state of Maine to the top... if only they didn't run out of highway before making it to the top. ;)

the English secretly love their connection to the French language and therefore mock it out of love and respect. Having lived in England for a while, I would find the latter hard to believe even if it weren't for
:D

As an amateur Anglophile (or is it anglophile?), I think I'm in a position to say that my impression has been that the British have a sort of love/hate relationship with the French, linguistically as well as gastronomically. Many Britons speak French and dig French food, even while mocking the French for certain other characteristics of theirs.

Of course, Monty Python also did a couple shows in German. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python%27s_Fliegender_Zirkus :D

for years now it's been illegal for software stores in France to sell games that aren't in French.

Ah, so the USA isn't the only ethnocentric Western nation as far as language goes. (What's the code for a 'raspberry' emoticon?)

When the Normans invaded England....

Interestingly, the Normans were descended from Vikings who invaded (rather than simply raided) the region that came to be called Normandy and intermarried with the Frankish and Gallo-Roman folks there. They were distinct linguistically, militarily, and culturally from the French proper (to say nothing of the dozen other ethnopolitical groups in what is now northern France), hence their being called "Norman" (derived from both the Latin and contemporary French terms for "north men").

Steve, the fundamental rule of the English is to steal, beg, borrow, barter or otherwise anything we like. This includes language.

Perhaps that's part of why English is becoming effectively the lingua franca (pardon the inadvertent pun) of the world -- it has incorporated words from countless other languages.

Dietrich,

Ah, so the USA isn't the only ethnocentric Western nation as far as language goes.

Yes, but ours is by choice... not imposed on it by government :) OK, every so often some bunch of numb brains in Congress try to do something to score political points (Freedom Fries anybody?), but the vast majority of the country is smart enough to ignore them so they never amount to anything. For that you have to bribe them :)

Steve

ours is by choice... not imposed on it by government :) OK, every so often some bunch of numb brains in Congress try to do something to score political points (Freedom Fries anybody?), but the vast majority of the country is smart enough to ignore them so they never amount to anything. For that you have to bribe them :)

Good point, Steve.

The odd thing about the USA is that, while there are hundreds of thousands (if not actually millions) of non-English-speakers (who speak many different languages) living in the States, circumstances are such that many white folks never or virtually never come into contact with anyone who speak any language other than English. Thus it seems all the more anomalous when they encounter someone who doesn't understand them or who can speak English as well as another language.

A friend of mine occasionally talks quite irritatedly about how many "Mexicans" (i.e., they could be from anywhere from just south of the Rio Grande to the southernmost tip of Chile, for all he can tell) there are around here who seem to refuse to learn English. I point out that in many cases, Spanish-speaking folks have not as much need (not as much as dogmatically monoglot English speakers would assume, that is) to learn English, since they can for the most part go to school and work and the grocery store and whatever without encountering the need to speak English, and the government accounts for their being not necessarily bilingual in terms of forms and such. Also, I tell him: "Anyway, even if you moved to Japan [he rather digs anime and manga], you'd live in some apartment block with a bunch of ex-pat Californians and go only to restaurants with bilingual staff, et cetera."

As far as I can tell, making the USA 'English only' would be in woeful ignorance of the sociopolicital reality. To me, it seems like this: Much of the time, politicians want to please the rich white people who support them, so they push for legislation which is in line with those folks' thinking (which tends to be conservative and 'Christian' in nature). Legislating 'English only' would please the rich white folks since they don't (and never need to) speak anything other than English. It's basically for the same reason that in the USA prostitution is illegal (unlike other Western countries): Prostitution is 'wrong' according to the principles/rules that rich white folks claim to live by (even though prostitution is not uncommon at pretty much all levels of society, and rich white folks are just as hypocritical as anyone else), so the policitians legislate against it. Since plenty of people partake of prostitution anyway (perhaps especially rich white guys, since they're loaded and can get away with it more readily, though they stand more to loose in terms of reputation and money if any 'scandal' gets out), why not just legalize it and then tax the hell out of it?

These new languages tend to get a bit twitchy about self preservation.

By "new languages", do you mean like Modern English and Modern French?

Before the invention of printing, languages were even more fluid, at least in terms of spelling. Once printing got established, likewise spelling became more and more standardized -- even if said standardization is effectively pointless vis-a-vis the inconsistency with which the majority people spell and structure sentences.

I live next to French speaking Canada... you got that right :D Supposedly all signage in Canada is bi-lingual, but I don't see much evidence that Quebec pays a lot of attention to that! Which is OK because they make some of the best beer in the world. I'm willing to overlook a lot of stuff when good beer is thrown into the mix!

Steve