I've been wanting to get this game for awhile...

... and based on what I've read in terms of the improvements of the gameplay mechanics, equipment, and bug squashing, I honestly am interested in CMSF again! I've only played one of the older demos as well as playing it on a friends computer (1.08) and didn't think much of it because of some of the problems in those version of the game. After reading both the positive and negative things said about this version of CM as well as reading the fix list with 1.11, I want to give this game another shot.

Should I buy it now, or wait for the British module and the boatload of changes that I believe Steve and the gang will throw in? I know CMx2 =/= CMx1, but change is good (sometimes) and I think this engine has potential. Hopefully, with this new patch, my faith in the potential in the engine will soar to new heights!

P.S. Please make a Fulda Gap '85/'90 hypothetical module so I won't be faced with Soviet monkey model armor!

Should I buy it now, or wait for the British module and the boatload of changes that I believe Steve and the gang will throw in? I know CMx2 =/= CMx1, but change is good (sometimes) and I think this engine has potential. Hopefully, with this new patch, my faith in the potential in the engine will soar to new heights!

I don't think there's much point in waiting for the British module, unless you really want to play the Brits and not the Americans. Battlefront is constantly improving the game. I just copied the Readme file for patches 1.03 to 1.11 into Microsoft Word to give you an estimate on how many improvements they've made and it came out to 31 pages or 757 paragraphs -- truly mind boggling. Now not all those 757 paragraphs represents an individual improvement -- some of the document is double spaced (so two paragraphs per improvement in those sections) and some of the paragraphs are headings, etc., but still we're probably talking 300+ improvements in the past year and a half. So if you're just going to wait until Battlefront stops improving the game, you're going to be waiting a long time.

I'm sure there will be improvements when the British module comes out, but there will probably be more improvements coming out after the module too. Then you'll be wanting to wait for the NATO module.

Uberpickle…, hi,

“P.S. Please make a Fulda Gap '85/'90 hypothetical module so I won't be faced with Soviet monkey model armor!”

These are sentiments I share… the good news is that the latest, very un-monkey model Russian armour is included in the Marines module… T90A and BMP3….

Also… all the mid’90s Russian tandem AT weapons are very dangerous and do what they are designed to do. The AT4C, the RPG with the tandem 105mm warhead, the AT13 and AT14… and all are in the base game.

Without doing anything unrealistic life can be very dangerous for US armour.

BTW… I lobbied for years for a Fulda Gap game… but failed… ;)… however… in CMSF you can, and I am, building some very fine Russia/OPFORs v NATO type games. There are Russian uniform and voice mods out there that work very well…

All the best,

Kip.

I'm stumped about why exactly you're hesitating. There's an entertaining, mature, accurate 3-D realtime (if you want) combat sim just a website click away and you appear to be interested in the genre. Its not like you're hesitating whether to purchase 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour'. And its not like good-old CMx1 is going to be getting any less outdated over time. You could keep waiting for big advancements coming with CM:WWII, but that's assuming that the glaciers will not have melted and inundated us all before then.

My Personal Opinion is:

Buy the base game CM:SF V1.11 direct from BFC. Small wargame companies don't grow on trees and we NEED to support those companies that do attempt to cater to our needs. The only time I bargain shop is with ALL OTHER genre...FPS, Puzzle, Mystery, whatever...They've got a Huge Fan base...Wargaming is minuscule and generally on life support even at the best of times.

Surely by not buying from BF you still contribute to BF, afer all they didnt just give the game away did they? I would say, buy it cheap wherever you can then buy the Marines Module from BF if you like it. That way BF still gets its money and you get a good deal on a decent game.

Surely by not buying from BF you still contribute to BF, afer all they didnt just give the game away did they? I would say, buy it cheap wherever you can then buy the Marines Module from BF if you like it. That way BF still gets its money and you get a good deal on a decent game.

They get SOME money. They don't get nearly as much as they do if you buy direct from BFC.

CMSF has made great leaps with the last few patches. I let it collect dust between patch 1.3 and 1.10. It's a lot more intuative although very leathal when you mess up. Well worth the money along with Marines.

My favouorite games used to be Fulda 1980s east meets west type, but I honestly think that a near future clash may be better allround for a game.

Save yourself a lot of money and buy it at Amazon.com I got mine for $4 when it was still in beta (though they sold it as retail). Hurry before the price goes up.

url=[http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Mission-Shock-Force-Pc/dp/B000PWUZ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1230891597&sr=1-1][shock Force at Amazon.com]

ditto! The game price fell from ~$6USD! good deal for a fair game!

:)

My Personal Opinion is:

Buy the base game CM:SF V1.11 direct from BFC. Small wargame companies don't grow on trees and we NEED to support those companies that do attempt to cater to our needs. The only time I bargain shop is with ALL OTHER genre...FPS, Puzzle, Mystery, whatever...They've got a Huge Fan base...Wargaming is minuscule and generally on life support even at the best of times.

MarkEzra is right about this.

GSX,

Surely by not buying from BF you still contribute to BF, afer all they didnt just give the game away did they?

Actually, we don't make a penny off of any sale outside of our website. In our business you get paid up front and that's it. For market reasons the retail publishers and shops have an incentive to blow out the price at such a low point it never triggers further royalties. So we developers get it up front or we don't get it at all.

Not the best sort of arrangement, but it's one that overall has done us good.

Steve

Get the BFC version or none.

Legal situation aside, the reason why you buy and not pirate this thing is that you want those people who deserve the money to get the money, right?

I don't think anyone says Paradox has earned 100% of the (lesser) money you throw in, although I hear they ruined quite a few pairs of pants sitting on the patches so long.

Anyway. I might have my gripes with this particular product but if you made a decision that you want this line of products, and want to do your part to get more in the future, then the BFC version it is.