Out of Memory error

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just downloaded Sense of Urgency and, on trying to start it, got the OUt of Memory error message at 29%, and the game crashed. Never had this before. However, I have found recently in some very large maps (George Mac's Forging Steel and SnakeEye's Counterattack at El Derjine for example) the game sometimes crashes when trying to save. In fact, El Derjine refuses to save at all - just locks up.

In those two cases the problem does seem to be due to the size of the map, although it shouldn't affect my pc, which is quite powerful. Is Sense of Urgency a particularly large one? Crashing on loading is unique in my experience.

Hopefully, BFC are on the case now.

btw, I'm on XP MediaCentre, so the problem's not just limited to Vista.

Dunno how I missed it, as your scenarios tend to be high amongst my priorities along with a few other designers'. Probably I was smack in the middle of the Marines Campaign or PT's Road to Dinas or something and it just slipped my mind. I've only just realised I'd missed George Mac's Forging Steel - but it's a testament to the richness of this community that there are some many great campaigns and scenarios available.

And so little time. . . .

But yes, I'd love to give it a try if you can be bothered to remake it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have hit the 'out of memory' bug several times now when making two scenarios. Admittedly I knew from the start that they were going to push the editor hard - they are BIG.

It seems to be related to the number of houses or trees for me.

Is there a hardware solution (buy a better graphics card) or will I have to wait untill the next patch in order to play my maps?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have looked into this and I am fairly sure the problem is related to RAM usage. How much do you have?

If nothing else, try closing shock force and any other non essential programs before loading the scenario again. This will clear your memory and give you the best chance of loading the scenario.

I have 2gigs of ram and i am running ram rocket which tracks my ram usage. I dont run out in fact it only uses about 300mb of ram before it crashes. i also received this in response to the e-mail i sent to the help desk:

his is probably related to a bug discovered in v1.11. It is solved in the upcoming v1.20 patch (and British module). Unfortunately, that bug is "baked" into the save game most likely so it won't solve the problem of loading that save game, but it should avoid it in the future.

the new question is when does 1.20 come out or can i just buy the British module and have this resolved?

• 1 month later...

Hi, I also have the out of memory error.

After playing UK Armoured Assault. I save it. Tooks a while to do it.

I want to load the battle UK British Mettle and I think that at 29% I got the out of memory error.

If I run the game again and load the same mission again I was able to load it fine.

I have v1.20 of the game.

Running windows XP, Geforce 9800GT 1 GB, 4GB RAM, Processor Intel Core 2 Quad 2.83GHZ.

I think it shouldnt be a hardware problem.

Tks

I recieve an 'Out of Memory Error' when loading a saved campaign game.

I have already tried:

1. Reducing the game options to fastest and playing on the lowest resolution

2. Downgrading my ATI drivers - currently 8.3

3. 'Losing' the last good campaign game by offering a cease fire - this resulted in the next campign save suffering from the same error

If I take the same campaign game save to another PC (faster, more memory and better Nvidia graphics card) and load it I get the same error.

Modern computers do not just 'Run out of memory' this is likely to be a problem within the games internal memory management or in fact the error message may be a red herring.

Viniga

NB I opened a support ticket for this.

I have also recieved this error on the standard missions, the one in particular is nightstalkers. I have emailed tech support twice and two weeks later have still received no response. I get the feeling that I am wasting my time which is a shame as I was really enjoying the game and have previously bought all of the combat missions and was waiting for the British Forces download in particuar. My computer is more than able o handle the game and I have no problems with any other game.

• 4 weeks later...

The possibility we are looking into is that the Nightstalker's battle has some sort of incompatibility/corruption within it that is causing the problem. This may require re-creating the battle and then recompiling the campaign. We haven't gotten around to doing that as of yet and I'm not absolutely sure when we'll have a fix for this problem. In the past there have been some bug fixes to fix campaign problems, but the Nightstalker's problem has persisted.

The possibility we are looking into is that the Nightstalker's battle has some sort of incompatibility/corruption within it that is causing the problem. This may require re-creating the battle and then recompiling the campaign. We haven't gotten around to doing that as of yet and I'm not absolutely sure when we'll have a fix for this problem. In the past there have been some bug fixes to fix campaign problems, but the Nightstalker's problem has persisted.

It's good to hear that it is being looked into.

• 2 weeks later...

I get the out of memory problem playing "armored Assault" in the Brit module- I'm playing PBEM and it's only happening on the latest game file - which is 21.5mb, the previous file is 18.5mb and runs fine. I can view the movie - but when it comes to issuing new orders, I get booted from the game with the out of memory dialog. I tried changing the settings to "fast" - but it made no difference. System - iMac 2.66ghz, 2gig ram, XP.

What is the situation with this ?

I get the out of memory problem playing "armored Assault" in the Brit module- I'm playing PBEM and it's only happening on the latest game file - which is 21.5mb, the previous file is 18.5mb and runs fine. I can view the movie - but when it comes to issuing new orders, I get booted from the game with the out of memory dialog. I tried changing the settings to "fast" - but it made no difference. System - iMac 2.66ghz, 2gig ram, XP.

What is the situation with this ?

I designed that scenario and it runs fine on my PC using XP and with 2Gb RAM - you want to send me the file you are trying to open and I'll see if I can issue orders and save it?

Cheers fur noo

George

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...