Someone is doing it again!

Id also like to be able to withdraw the allied minors from Africa should the situation become hopless.As it is now they are finished.It would only make sense that if the Allies were pushed out of Africa,all available would be saved,not just the British troops.

I also think what Colin I writes makes alot of sense.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points there Colin and I can definitely see where you are coming from now. What I can say for now is that we are continually working to improve the scripts, including the script logic, and while we have added some information, such as warnings/popups for the German player to garrison the Soviet border or Yugoslavia., there is always room for improvement.

Thanks,

Hubert

I have WW2: Road to Victory. Its a simple system corp/div level. They dropped the scale and simplified the game. SC2 is still better but it is also a different scale. If WW2: R2V has its bugs fixed and the improvements made it might as well be the best WW2 grand strategy game for a corp/div level ever made. It combines the board games World in Flames, hearts of Iron 2, and War in Europe together. The land combat is very simple despite the level.

Its got lots of potential but as is now its unplayable IMO. And AI for a game of this scale, very difficult with so many variables considering.

Road to Victory has potential but I do believe that it was released too soon. I really like the idea of combined attacks and that there is a penalty for single attacks..that idea alone shows what might be once the game is honed... and while the map is nothing special to look at, it is at a nice scale, not a monster map that World in Flames will be, but not as cramped as SC1...so I am not at all displeased with my purchase of RTV but I would recommend that anyone interested in it await an update or two....

Thanks Al and JP, I've been reading the forums over there and wondering about it. It seems to me that they've got some major things to get straightened out. But I LOVE the idea of divisional scale.

Now if Hubert ever wanted to the SC2 system and scale it down.....Hmmmmm!

I have played it scince it first came out in 1984, all the way to the final edition. we would all take our two week vacations and play it for 12-16 hours a day untill we ran out of vacation. It should be good as a PBEM game, but it is far to big and complex in my opinion to have any decent AI at all. I own Empires in Arms which is by the same designer and although it is far less complex than WiF it AI is still a work in progress. The SC series is the most balance and Modifyable Strategic/operational series I have yet to see.Some of the Mods like Mr.White European theatre, and Honch's masterpeices are VERY awesome.

Lighten up. Just because we haven't announced anything yet, doesn't mean that Hubert hasn't been doing anything. Quite the contrary. Together with PDE, work has begun on TWO new full-featured SC2 games. Both are WW2. One should be getting its announcement within a few weeks I guess.

Will they be "much better"? Uh, well, they're still SC. It took years to create the engine and it would take years to create "something much different and much better" I guess.

Which is why you have many companies working on many games out there. No one developer (and certainly not essentially a one-person company) can do it all. That's good, more choices for players. Just because some new game comes out doesn't make the "old" game any bad. There is no better compliment to a game than to say that you're tiring of it after 3-4 years :)

QUOTE]

Any chance to get more information what is planned ...why 2 games and not 1 fior example ?

I have the inside scoop. The next expansion is SC:CIA, Strategic Command 2: Canada Invades America! The game lasts for one turn.:P

I think the US could hold out for longer than 1 turn. The Canadians would be burdened with needing to bring along proper beer, and the further into the US they penetrated the more shocking the beer conditions would get.

The last straw would be the lack of poutine, lousy coffee and no Timbits.

The end would likely come in Florida when too many of the troops would forget they weren't on vacation.

We know when you call it quits... we burned down the white house twice and we'll stick with that old victory.

We could not even get past the border guards now =)

I dunno, I went through airport security once with nothing better than a photo ID to a local video rental (my sister wanted to kill me for that though).

But I was wearing my old Canadian army jacket at the time too. I must have scared them.

"Let him pass, everyone knows Canadians actively go around seeking to join other people's wars, he's probably bored and looking for a fight".

Border guards??? Don't make me laugh! :DThe other day, venturing south of the border, down Mexico way, I forgot my driver's license as they needed it at the bank to cash my check and forgot to give it back.

Dumb-ass me...I just took the money and ran. So I'm coming back...with mucho tequila.......and ...dunta dah ta done....DRUGS!!!!! and they ask me for "my Papers" and want to know my nationality...like you can't tell.:eek:

OK, I had had a margarita...ok maybe two.......damnit....alright...I lost count of how many, so I said..."I'm Texican", but,,, but...I left my papers(read DL, passport, etc.) at the bank(I break into a song and dance routine).....but I do have this Sam's membership card with my photo on it!

Ok.....Mr Taylor...(read terrorist).. you can go.....just pay your liquor tax at the booth.

So just like a drunken terrorist with a suitcase nuke(disguised as tequila)....I'm in.:confused:

Don't worry Les...you wear camo(olive greens) down here...we'll let you in, you're considered, "preferred folks", but bring your gun.

Hi all. Haven't been around here in ages but got nostalgic for SC after playing Road to Victory. I was a beta tester for SC2 but couldn't play it after release because of technical conflicts with my p.c. that were probably related to a driver update. Finally got frustrated and just gave up. So I'm considering purchasing the pack now and diving in.

I'd hoped Road to Victory would give me the feeling once given by SC1. But it's clunky and feels incomplete. I mean, they forgot to put Malta on the map (fixed with a quickly-released patch). That being said, it is ambitious and seems to be well-supported by the developers.

The problem I had with SC2 was that it felt a bit schizophrenic, trying to attract new players--nothing wrong with that--with its use of the isometric CIV3 view while keeping the original hardcore fanbase. I felt like I could never "see" everything strategically. Or maybe I just love the hex format too much.

For any SC3, I would go back to the basics. SC1 seemingly came out of nowhere and was a criminally addictive combination of bare-bones design and strategic complexity. It synthesized Axis & Allies with classic Avalon Hill and was created by someone who craved that as much as we did. The graphics were archaic and dated as hell, but you couldn't stop playing long enough to worry about it.

I see that SC2's AI has become topnotch through patches and expansions; can't wait to try that out. My dream product for SC3 would be a European map 4x larger than SC1 with expanded research options and a wider range of more specific units, with SC2's AI and plenty of "chrome". I always thought the instant tech upgrades for all units was too easy, so you'd have to pay points to upgrade each. Bump up the number of variables and theater-specific events/options as well. Nothing as huge as HOI2, mind you. But a bit more than simple "declare war" options. I'd avoid the Pacific and factor it in through events, as I think the AI gets worse with the whole WW2 enchilada going at once.

Great to see you around JmBunelle, I used your sc1 mods for years!

Hey Kuniworth, glad to see that you're still around here and vocal about where you think the series should go. Speaking of my old mods, you wouldn't have a copy of my counter mod still around, would you? Lost mine in a harddrive crash years ago. If so, email address is jbunnelle7__at__yahoo.com. Thanks!

I don't see any subjects for multiplayer here - After I get familiar with the game I would love to try a world campaign vs. someone else.

Also a question - is there going to be a WAW version of the global scenario soon? I don't see it available except in the Blitz game.