We need help narrowing down nVidia problems

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

When the need arises to make a point, and a circle-jerk is what your are indulging in.

to the weasel guy:Please make more sense. Put more thought into your comments and don't just rely on profane taunts. An argument can never be portrayed as a 'circle-jerk' though please elaborate on why you think this to be the case.

[ August 30, 2007, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: peleprodigy ]

To throw more info into the mix:

Intel C2D @ 2.23 Ghz

2 GB RAM

Nvidia 7950 GT w/ 512 MB

Windows XP SP2

Here's a framerate comparison, just with driver changes:

Campaign Airport Attack (2nd or 3rd battle)

163.44: 20-21 FPS w/ shadows off, no AA/AF from starting viewpoint

94.24: 35+ FPS w/ shadows off, no AA/AF from starting viewpoint

I'll be sticking with 94.24 for the time being, NVIDIA definitely broke some part of their OpenGL path.

Battlefront: I'm more than willing to help out with tweaking settings, changing drivers, testing builds, etc. but will be out this weekend.

I'm finding it very weird that fps drops so dramatically when the horizon comes visible. Could there be something broken with the background? Yeah I know it sounds weird...

Usually when I'm looking down on about 45 degrees the performance is good, but when I tilt upwards it becomes a slideshow. I know I can see more objects then, but it still feels a bit odd.

Just some thoughts.

Im running a XFX 8800gtx, qx6600 (the 2.4), 2ghz Corsair 8500c5, Asus p5b Deluxe.

Im getting between 30fps (looking at the whole map with all friendly forces moving) to 120fps (looking at one unit blazing away at some bads)

So far i havent noticed any bad textures but i have noticed units dissapear for a second then reapear (only noticed at twice in two battles)

Im running windows xp 32bit and the 162.18 nvidia drivers.

Hope it helps

Just had a very quick peek this morning at 1.03. I replaced the official 162.18 drivers with the BETA 163.44 drivers. At first glance visual quality seems to be up but FPS down on my 7900 GTX, however I have not done any serious testing/tweaking at this point. The release notes say that these drivers "...significantly improves the quality of the CM:SF experience...", but is that at the expense of speed?

I have a Dell XPS 710 H2C system with a quad core (overclocked to 3.19 Ghz), two 150 GB HDs (in Raid 0) 4 GB of ram, with dual 8800 GTXs (in SLI mode), running XP, 2 DVD drives, and an SB X-fi ExtremeMusic audio card. I loaded the game and it seems to work ok until I get to a large map and then the mouse scrolling responce is sluggish. I don't know what my frame rate is but it must be low.

My Nvidia driver is: XP 162.18

Here is something we got today. You guys who are having problems with nVidia cards and Vista might want to look into it further. On the surface I'd say it isn't likely to make a difference since it appears aimed at DirectX only issues, but the symptoms sound very similar so perhaps OpenGL will benefit form it too? We're going to take a look at it over the weekend:

Notification of Microsoft Vista Hotfix 940105 - Now available for download (Tools/Utilities)

Description:

Hotfix available at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

Microsoft has just made a very important Windows Vista hotfix available for download: "Virtual address space usage in Windows game development". This Vista hotfix is recommended for GeForce 6, 7, and 8 Series customers running DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 applications.

This hotfix resolves abnormal application behavior such as crashes and extremely low frame rates when running some 3D applications at very high graphics settings. This issue is not limited to, but has been most commonly noticed on high-end graphics cards and the following applications: Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Civilization IV, Company of Heroes, Half-Life 2, Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle Earth II, Supreme Commander, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas, and some highly anticipated upcoming titles.

Again, the hotfix is available at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

We recommend that you always stay up to date with the latest hotfixes from Microsoft.

Version:

Post Date:

8/31/2007

Graphics Processor:

General

In particular these fixes look VERY interesting, especially for you guys with SLI problems:

2) Hotfix for SLI customers running DirectX 10 applications:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710. This hotfix resolves occurrences of low frame rates on some DirectX 10 applications when SLI is enabled. Performance improvements will vary depending on the application and the graphics driver version.

3) Hotfix for GeForce customers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938194. This hotfix improves the compatibility and reliability of Windows Vista. It can be downloaded from this link or from Windows Update.

4) Hotfix for GeForce customers:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938979. This hotfix improves the performance and reliability of Windows Vista. It can be downloaded from this link or from Windows Update.

Originally posted by Andro:

No Win XP Support anymore @ Microsoft?

What a great marketing! No Direct X 10 for XP, and now less Updates for XP. I hopep we get it for XP later but ...

And the new Direct X 10.1 isnt even compatible with the 8800s.

Microsoft $%?%$§"§$ ... !!!

And you are surprised Andro? You think MicroBucks would give you any reason NOT to drop another 200 dollars on another one of their bug-ridden operating systems?

Unfortunately, it's not about marketing. It's about giving their customers the shaft.

I have ben running Alahs Fist and have found a great performance boost. My system is as follows:

nForce 680i

Core 2 Duo E6700 @ 3.30GHz

2GB Corsair RAM @ 800MHz

Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB

Win XP

Set game model and texture to BALANCED

Turn VSync and AA to OFF

Set Video card to AA 2XQ, and Anisotropic to 16X

The game now runs with model and textures set at BEST and the FPS is 25 to 120!!!

Try it out.

PS: If you set the game model and textures to anything other than balanced the frame rate drops to nothing and visually it looks like it set to fast or something. I think the game trys to overide the Video card but can't. So let the card control everything. This set up gives me no less than 60+ fps!!! in the Al Huqf Engagement scenario.

[ September 01, 2007, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Trooper5 ]

Here´s my config:

C2D E6600 @stock

2Gb Cellshock PC6400

BFG 8800GTS w/163.44

Windows Vista 32bits

I´m having the same problems, jerky graphics on the larger maps. Trying out Trooper5's suggestions I'm having a much better experience with CMSF although I would expect to use much better settings with my config. Setting AA and Vsync off and balanced settings for models and textures (with AA 4x and AF 8X on Nvidia control panel) did the trick and I'm finally enjoying CMSF.

I think they still are not able to reproduce the problems in their rig. I know you guys at Battlefront are trying your best at getting to the problem but it's been over a month since release and since you're apparently not able to reproduce the problem yourself could there be any chance to get the problem to come to you? I know this has allready been suggested in the forums but there seems to be a specific part of your clients that cannot play the game with satisfactory performance on a high end machine. Sure there is a part of you running your high end setup with no bigger problems (as is the rig that you got for your programmer). Seriously, map out some people near your programmer who are having performance issues since I can bet anyone of them would gladly help to solve the issue. Or are you going to try the russian roulette of buying a new rig again and wait another 4 weeks for it to arrive and hope it has a problem? I remember Steve saying that once the problem can be reproduced, it will propably take only a few hours to make the fix for it.

And I think some people should be warned about their behaviour at this thread since this is a serious issue that a part of us is having and not some debate about is there a problem in the first place.

I found a solution on my pc, let me decide with everybody, hope, some of u find it useful.

My rig is x2 4400+ @2.53, 7950GT.

On the nvidia control panel I switched extension limit: ON, Threaded optimisation OFF, and the game ran pretty much smooth on both best @ 1024x768. I trieds to switch one of the core off and on and found it better with both of them running.

Good luck