We need help narrowing down nVidia problems

Hi all,

After waiting for nearly 4 weeks Charles' brand new system arrived yesterday with Vista, AMD Athlon, and nVidia 8800 installed. He fired it up today and guess what? Great framerates. This is not what we expected nor what we wanted to see since we know for sure some of you guys are having difficulties with your cards. Unfortunately, until we can isolate what combo of things is causing the problem with framerates we're not going to be able to fix it. Therefore, we're spending the weekend trying to break Charles' brand new computer smile.gif

If you are experiencing very slow framerates with an nVidia card, please post your specs here:

Operating system (make sure to specify the SPECIFIC flavor of XP or Vista)

Processor (brand, speed, and # of processors)

RAM

nVida card model

nVidia driver version

It would also help to know what your Combat Mission graphics settings are in the Options panel.

Thanks!

Steve

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows XP Media Center edition

version 2002 sevice pack 2

Pentium 830d dual core

2 gigs RAM

2 nVidia 7800 GTX cards SLI

forceware 162.18

fastest/fastest on settings

Not terrible frames, but much worse than I would expect. Really can't play on any of the higher settings due to lag. Horrific multiplayer lag, maybe related?

Just wanted to say that after our last discussion about the lag I had some guys test TCP/IP half way around the world and there was no lag. I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with CM:SF, but we've found no smoking gun. That's a little off topic for this thread, but just wanted to get back to you on that one since I said we'd look into it.

I'll see what I can do about this though. I've got at least the start of an idea :D

Steve

Windows XP Home Edition

Version 2002 servive pack 2

Intel Pentium Core 2 duo 6600@ 2.40 ghz

2 gigs RAM

1 nVidia 8800 GTS

I downloaded the lateset drives the day the game released, but I don't know where to look to see what drives I have. Hope this is at least some help.

Edit: In game settings

Display: Desktop

V-Sync: Off

3D Models: Balanced

3D Texture: Balanced

Antialias: Off

High Priorty: On

[ August 24, 2007, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: rogue187 ]

Vista32 Business

2GB RAM

8800GTS driver v. 162.22

1920x1200 resolution

Core 2 6700 @ 2.66 GHz

nVidia Control panel options are at the DEFAULT

OPTIONS:

Vert sync OFF

3D Model Quality: Best

3D Texture Quality: Best

Anti Alias: On

High Priority: ON

Using FRAPS:

Battle: Al Hawl

On start of battle I scroll around and get 8-20FPS with some lag at times. Mouse is somewhat slow and mushy. Lowering resolution to 1024x768 has little impact on FPS.

*Note that shadows are OFF because they make infantry in certain terrain invisible and are non-existent anyway. (As of 1.02 & 162.22, I updated both at the same time)

[ August 24, 2007, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Stryker ]

Operating System: Win XP 32-bit SP2 Media Center edition, Version 2002

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.2GHz (overclocked)

RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz

nVidia card model: dual GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

nVidia driver version: 6.14.10.9794

A couple issues, including:

- slow framerates

- intermittent flashes of black on parts of landscape

- targeting arc does not indicate line-of-sight blockage

- when replaying, wall/building rubble/damage is already showing before it actually occurs

- occasional 'floating' infantry which glide along ground

- excessive camera shaking when viewing an explosion up close

Mike

Mike

I have the Quad Core chip in my system. Just wanted to report for you (and others) that I had some success using the MS Hotfix for multi-core processors. Here's what I found:

Before installing the hotfix: Typically, the 3rd core would peg out at maximum load (100% utilization) and the other cores would show no activity. System usage was shown at around 25%.

After the fix: System usage remained at about 25%, BUT, the single core was no longer pegged and the processor load was more equally shared between the 4 cores. A pegged core indicator is bad because it can actually mean your system is getting overloaded and cannot operate efficiently because there is no more CPU overhead left.

Also, without disabling the other 3 cores the game would lock up after selecting a unit after I started the mission. After hotfix, I have been able to play the game without disabling the other 3 cores.

If you want to try the hotfix, search using keywords "ms hotfix" in the search feature. Someone posted a link to the pertinent Microsoft web page.

WinXP Pro SP2 w/ current hotfixes

AMD X2 4600+ w/ 2gb of RAM (2 core)

MSI 8800GTS w/ 640mb w/ 162.18 drivers

I only use 1 core via the single CPU affinity trick. I usually play with vsync off, balanced textures, best models, antialiasing enabled. I turn off shadows and flip trees on/off as needed for tactics. I usually see ~9 fps. I can get ~20 fps if I lower all of my settings to worst quality. I usually run FRAPS to check fps's but I've tried the game without FRAPS running and saw no difference.

Additional Note: To achieve multi-core loading you must enable "threaded optimization" (or equivalent) in video card settings. For me, CPU utilization rises from around 25% to as high as 55%.

I am able to get decent frame rates (except for really big maps) using "Best" quality even with 8x anti-aliasing enabled. I really like the way the models look with all the stuff cranked up!

Can I ask what setting charles is using? ;) Whats his display size and configuration of nvidia cp etc... smile.gif

Operating system (make sure to specify the SPECIFIC flavor of XP or Vista)

Windows XP Pro SP2

Processor (brand, speed, and # of processors)

Intel E6600, 2.4 ghz , C2D

RAM

4 Gigs DDR2

nVida card model

8800 GTX 768

nVidia driver version

Ive tried many different configurations for nvidias control panel with similar or worse results. From everything on to everything off.

Im currently running the game at 1920x1200. Ive played it at other resolution with minute increases or decreases.

[ August 24, 2007, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: Major_Jerkov ]

Originally posted by Hukka:

Windows XP SP2

Intel Core2Duo E6600 @ 3,4GHz

2 Gigs of RAM

nVIDIA 8800 GTS w/ 162.18

Graphics settings doesn't seem to affect a lot. Now I'm having 'improved' settings, but I tried with the worst settings and still had poor framerates.

Sorry for short derail... smile.gif

Ive dicked around with oc'ing but never really got into it too much. Im wondering how much improvement you got out of that appx 1ghz on a game like hl2(or any common software) over default settings... since this game is not a good comparison.. smile.gif

Windows XP Pro 64 5.2 Build 3790

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Dual Core @ 2.8GHz

2Ghz RAM

nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS w. 162.18

Settings all maxed out @ "Best" or "Better" with AA @ 4x and AF @ 16x.

Looks great and no hangs after disabling one of the processors in the "Set Affinity" dialogue.

No MS Hotfix applied, becasue I was unsure about changing the Registry.

Appreciate this doesn't give you much info.

R

Hi!

A lot of performance results are posted here:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002646

My own results:

CMSF Options:

Display: 1600x1200

Vert Synch: Off

3D Model: Better

3D Texture: Best

Anti-Alias: On

High Priority: On

Test Setting: When Allah's Fist is loaded as the Blue Player, looking down the long dimension of the map.

VISTA Ultimate 64bit (1600x1200)

ASUS P5BL2 MoBo

Core2Duo E6300 @ 2.4 Ghz

3.0GB Ram (DDR2 PC 6400)

Nvidia 7950GT (512MB Vram)

Forceware 163.44

4 FPS !!! 15 FPS with "threaded optimisation = off"

VISTA Ultimate 32bit (1600x1200)

ASUS P5B Deluxe Wifi MoBo

Core2Duo E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz

4.0GB Ram (DDR2 PC 6400)

Nvidia 8800GTS (640MB Vram)

Forceware 163.44

8 FPS !!! 8 FPS with "threaded optimisation = off"

OT remark: This machine scores the following World in Conflict Demo benchmark results: (1600x1200, very high setting: Average 23, Min 13, Max 44)

VISTA Ultimate 32bit (1280x960)

Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Pa 1510

AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-52 @ 1.6 Ghz

1.0GB Ram (DDR2 533Mhz)

ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 1100

Catalyst 7.8

3 FPS !!!

cheers

Helge

[ August 26, 2007, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: The DesertFox ]

Win XP 32-bit SP2 Media Center edition, (build 2600)

Core2Duo E6600 @ 2.4 Ghz

ASUS® P5LD2 SE/C: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 VGA, 3 PCI/3 PCI-E MB

2 Gig CORSAIR DDR2 667MHz RAM

Nvidia 7950GT (512MB Vram)FW 93.71

CMO CMC 19AW [Primary Monitor] (19.1"vis, November 2006)

Philips 190S5 [secondary Monitor] (19.1"vis, s/n VN 078910, May 2005)

OPTIONS:

Vert sync ON

3D Model Quality: Best

3D Texture Quality: Best

Anti Alias: On

High Priority: OFF

Everything pretty fine on smaller battles, but more and more mouse lag and jerky camera moves the bigger the battle gets.

I was thinking the same thing Steiner.

We know Fraps seems to cause some problems. I have the mouse/camera lag issues if I run Fraps in the background.

Wonder what other software could choke out CMSF?

I have an nVidia chipset on my motherboard. Updating those drivers (sound in particular) got me going.

AthlonXP 2800+

1 gig Ram

Win XP SP2

Leadtek 6600GT 128ram video

using onboard sound