We need help narrowing down nVidia problems

Originally posted by Spang:

I found a solution on my pc, let me decide with everybody, hope, some of u find it useful.

My rig is x2 4400+ @2.53, 7950GT.

On the nvidia control panel I switched extension limit: ON, Threaded optimisation OFF, and the game ran pretty much smooth on both best @ 1024x768. I trieds to switch one of the core off and on and found it better with both of them running.

Good luck

Hi Spang,

I tried that and the game ran a bit better. However, I couldn't see some of my units and the shadows were lost.

Weird,

My video card is a 7300GT.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick update...

We found a problem within CM's code that is responsible for it not always being happy with multi-processor systems. Some of these problems are being attributed (by you guys) to the nVidia issues, but they are not. Things like units appearing in the wrong spot, odd tearing of grapics, sometimes badly drawn polygons, etc. There are other issues that this problem causes, such as a few people not being able to run CM at all unless they manually set "afinity" to run with a single processor. This will be fixed for v1.04.

We're still convinced that the nVidia problem is mostly, if not completely, driver related. If any of you can revert to an older set we'd be curious to know if there are any improvements. Here is the set we're interested to hear about:

Driver version: 7.15.11.5818 (April 12, 2007)

ForceWare version: 158.18

Thanks!

Steve

Metalbrew,

Are you doing all of your troubleshooting and support for an older ForceWare version? I believe 162.18 is the current non-beta version.
We're trying to confirm that the drivers are an issue. We have one system with a 8800 card that is having no problems and it is running the older drivers. We have another system that has the current drivers and it has problems. To us this is a clear indication that the newer drivers are a problem. But the way to be sure about that is to have people with the newer ones revert to older ones and see if that fixes things for them. We're going to try that too, however time zones mean it will be several more hours before we can do that since we need people in Oz to be awake first smile.gif

Steve

Steve

I just wanted to report concerning the multi-processor issue.

After installing the MS Hotfix I was able to get my Intel 6600 quad-core to run using affinity set to cores 0-3 enabled. This is actually useless unless you also turn on "Threaded Optimization" in the video card control panel (Nvidia) as the other cores will not pick up the processing load.

Previous to the hotfix, the game would crash as soon as I selected a unit after clicking on the "Start Mission" button.

It would be interesting to see if AMD multi-cores using are able to utilize the hotfix to solve the affinity problem. Some previous posts seem to indicate that it is not correcting the problem on those processors. If it is correct that OpenGL hardware support is being dumped to the software renderer as indicated by one of our posters, that might explain why my anemic 8600GTS is outperforming 8800GTX systems to at least a noticeable degree. I have a pretty powerful processor.

P.S. I am able to get about 50% CPU utilization when running CMSF on all 4 cores.

Now running CMSF v1.03, and experiencing horrid frame rates as follows;

CMSF settings -

Vertical = ON

Display = DESKTOP

3d qual = BETTER

3d textrue = BETTER

AA/Multi Sample = ON

Language = English

I toggled AA/Multi & Vert OFF to ON and experienced a net gain of 1 or 2 FPS...

~~~~~~~~~

Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz

Gigabyte P35C DS3R Mobo

2046MB RAM

Nvidia GeForce by MSI 8800GTS 640

running at 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Driver version 6.14.11.6218

Forceware 162.18

DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

OK, thanks for checking out the older drivers.

Dirtweasle,

The poorer performance with Better/Best is to be expected if you have problems in general. The methods used to get Better/Best graphics results basically mean twice as much work to process the graphics. So if framerate was poor in v1.02 with it will be horrid in v1.03. The underlying reason is the problems with interfacing with the card, not with coding for Better/Best itself.

Steve

In my thread about this problem I explained how I experimented with the opengl drivers forcing them to emulate opengl version 1.2 (since with version 1.0 and 1.1 cmsf wouldnt run) I got no difference in performance (basically making it look like I have a nvidia gf fx5800 or smth like that) so this might be some sort of hardware issue more than related to drivers. Currently I'm thinking this is related to nvidia realising the rising amount of multi-core processors and being ready to support multi-threading with their newest gfx cards.

[ September 10, 2007, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: Hotti ]

I too experimented with the opengl drivers forcing them to emulate opengl version 1.2,1.3,1.4,1.5,and other setting with RivaTuner 2.03. I try various driver 94.24,163.44 and many others and still poor performance. I have GF 7600 256MB and AMD64 X2 3800+ S939, 2GB ram .I think it is game problem no drivers.

The same game code with the same driver with the same video card and the same OSes produces very different results. So it is probably something lower level than drivers. This would explain why this problem has been difficult to track down. Driver, consistent hardware, OS, etc. problems are fairly easy to investigate by comparison.

Now, if any of you nVidia folks have multiple monitors, that could be part of the problem. This "fix" was found that may help you:

Anyone using Nvidia + multi screens and having very slow performance. You need to change a setting in the Nvidai control panel:

3D Settings => Manage 3D Settings => Multi-display / mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode.

This will fix performance for all OpenGL based games if you have multi screens.

If this helps out anybody, please let us know.

Steve

I'd suggest charles registering in at opengl.org forums and asking help there tongue.gif I just managed to produce some odd looking effect with tampering enough with the drivers that the landscape wont disappear anymore when scrolling high enough.. So I can scroll all the way as up as you can go, look straight down and see the whole battlefield. I took a video of that all but now I need to find out how to convert that bugger to much smaller since its taken with fraps and it takes a whole lotta discspace unpacked.

but I'm too tired to do that today.. later this week. what I'm seeing in that video might hint something related to textures.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Now, if any of you nVidia folks have multiple monitors, that could be part of the problem. This "fix" was found that may help you:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Anyone using Nvidia + multi screens and having very slow performance. You need to change a setting in the Nvidai control panel:

3D Settings => Manage 3D Settings => Multi-display / mixed-GPU acceleration = Single display performance mode.

This will fix performance for all OpenGL based games if you have multi screens.

If this helps out anybody, please let us know.

Steve </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Peleprodidgy,

Try Alt-Tabbing the game to Windows and then back into Combat Mission. Does that do anything? It apparently does for some people. Check out this article too:

Defects in 8800 series cards, especially 8800GTS 320MB

Steve

Also no success here.

New Forceware didn´t help with CMSF. ALT-TAB also did nothing to improve the situation, neither did the other stuff that rune posted today (max settings, Allahs fist, 9FPS)

BTW: These new 163.67 drivers are really good. I get great performance on the yesterday released QuakeWars-Demo (1600x1200 res, everything set to max), also an OpenGL game, as is yours.

The search continues...

cheers