1 year anniversary

crazyman56

Well its been just over one whole year since Theatre of War was released and i think it has most definately improved fromthe beta game it was when it is released i know there is plenty people want fixing or adding and i hope that these are done as soon as possible. If anyone else has any good memorys of the past year in ToW then please post here its soooo quite here. smile.gif

I would certainly agree that ToW has improved since the beta release, and I have definitely had some good moments with it. But I have to agree with Himmelstoss that ToW is effectively 'dead'. The 'community' barely exists with little more than a handfull of posts per day, and since the uber patch there have only been (I think) three user scenarios. Maybe the add-on will improve things, but unless we start to see more scenarios I can't see any reason for optimism. The contrast with CMSF in this respect says it all.

I purchased the game when it first came out, but then had to shelve it cuz I got busy. But with the Uber patch out I decided to carve out some time and really try ToW. I must say, there's just something about it that I really, really like. I too hope the support continues (and the product history and quality of character at both Battlefront and 1C suggest it will), and I look forward to any add-ons or updates they have to offer. If ToW is mass-marketed via CDV, I would think we can expect further development, or at least a growth in the community of players.

Salute!

Go back to page 42 and check out how many of those names writing back then wrote in the last eight weeks. Then check out the natrue of the topics.

I agree with Petrus58. Ãœberpatch came too late IMHO, some lowly Kalypso customers don't have it even now, one year later. Should have come last August or September to make an impact when the game was still fresh enough.

Most people since have moved on or are back to classics, even if they are "inferior" at first sight.

Superficially TOW did everything right, WW2 real time, lots of action, nice graphics, even Tiger tanks. That should bring heaps of money to any game developer.

But some design decisions did not translate well, especially with this Battlefront audience.

It's not what I thought it would be and so I won't invest into it any further. Even if the next add on will permit the player to select the right cigarettes for his pixel men.

I awaited a tactical sand box for ww2 which would fascinate me for maybe years and got a action oriented ww2 riddle game which lasted less than three months. And I learnt the meaning of waiting.

Hi All,

It is dead I think unless 1c and the developer have some plans to patch it up much the same way CMSF has been patched up. ( now an excellent game )

What a shame. Can you imagine gameplay as realistic as CMBB or AK, and editors as easy to use as they have, but with the graphics of ToW. Now that would have been a real winner.

Regards John

Originally posted by z1812:

Hi All,

It is dead I think unless 1c and the developer have some plans to patch it up much the same way CMSF has been patched up. ( now an excellent game )

What a shame. Can you imagine gameplay as realistic as CMBB or AK, and editors as easy to use as they have, but with the graphics of ToW. Now that would have been a real winner.

Regards John

Ummmm 1C IS the developer!!!

• 2 weeks later...

What a nice idea for a thread, crazyman.

Yes, one year gone, unbelievable. Can remember my impatience to start playing as if it was yesterday. But then it got more and more a video playground for me.

My motivation for playing got a huge drop when I realized that it`s only attacking trenches or defending against waves of enemies. And you never know if it was the last wave or have you already lost with the remnants of your forces?

The battle generator never made that up for me, because knowing exactly which force attacks you is entertaining for 5 minutes.

With a real campaign and a series of random maps it could have been THE WW2 game, but now, it`s just a connection of maps with no game design at all and it`s just no fun to try to flank the enemy and then be flanked by yourself by "in the map popping" enemy units, which enter the area 20 m next to you as if they had a stealth shield enabled.

Without real forests and enterable buildings there is not much tactic required. And if you achieved a victory in the beginning there will be either 5 more waves or enemies who enter the map directly behind you.

Additionally there is not much audible feedback from the battlefield. If your soldiers are under suppressive fire you should hear the whistling of the bullets and impacts on the ground. A complete platoon can be wiped out without the player realizing that.

But making videos from it gives you all the freedom you need and for me that was a HUGE plus. :)

Oh, some of you mentioned the beta kind of state when the game was released, but if there are a few among you who also were able to play "War Leaders - Clash of Nations" you will know what was really a beta release.

In the end I still hope ToW will get a nice campaign with random battles and then everyone who doesn`t have it and likes the WW2 scenario will really miss something. :)

Maybe April/ May 2009 ??? :)

Enjoyed playing through all the missions once the Uber Patch was released, but once you have done that there is nothing left to play and no compelling reason to replay the game as you know exactly what will happen on each mission. Nice concept, shame about the execution! I doubt the addon will revive the game, its already dead and forgotten.

I just bought the game myself and recieved it 3 days ago. Installed the Uber patch and am annoyed with small little things with it. I find myself wishing that instead of TOW they had upgraded the Battlefront series CMBB or CMAK with better graphics engine, and more scenerios and campaigns. However I can understand why they want to develope something new like TOW. At first glance it is awesome, graphics, and just the combat, planes soaring in, and now with an editor it seems you can endlessly create scenerios and your own campaign. However it lacks just a little from CMBB and CMAK. It takes a crazy good computer to run properly, and allthough their are many countries you can choose from it lacks maybe the detail of the old CMBB and CMAK. I would love to see moders complete uniforms for all nations and have special units, and more vehicles and classes on the next Uber patch, but by then it may be too late. Maybe they can develop a new WWII naval game like "Great Naval Battles of WWII" the graphics were poor on that game but the playabilty was awesome... Still waiting on the Campaign game for the CMBB or CMAK, but that maybe dead.

Well one year but the forum is almost dead. For me the game is fun i am playing the missions and campaign now also i play some time online that is fine. I also have CMSF and i am CM fan play alot at the blitz but i do not confuse this game with something like CM is a totally different game. As i say for me TOW is mixture of an WARGAME with AN RTS game is something new is you like that way.

I will buy the add on but i do not think there will be much of a improvement on it in terms of micromanagement. I just see the photos on the new game and in some picture is clear that some units are running under fire the same way as TOW now. I think they have to rebuild the game to put a better TAC AI on it, Could be a dream that supresive fire works on this game. another question that comes to my mind is if there will be an add on? i see they are putting in building another game with TOW engine. :confused:

Well any way i am enjoying the game as it is ;) could be better but for the moment is just fun to play. My recommendation is to put a mission generator not just the mission builder on add on for game replayability.

Originally posted by redbear:

Well one year but the forum is almost dead.

Yes sadly this seems to be true. A small group of 'regulars' have hung around here because we believed that for all its' faults the game had huge potential initially as a European theatre WWII tactical game and that it would be improved further with a paid for addon that would give us things like enterable buildings and improvements in the gameplay before the engine was moved on to cover completely new paid for theatres, all the while the game itself steadily improving as the Devs gained more experience and got to know what the paying customer wanted from the game,( a sort of Russian Battlefront.com.)As things stand now it doesn't look as if this is going to be the case.

:(

I hope that 1C and Battlefront makes liars out of most of us, including myself, since I must admit that I was also fairly disappointed with ToW. The beautiful new graphics were certainly recieved with a hearty welcome. However, the small list of fixed missions, no dynamic campaign generation (not even an IL-2 style DGen ground campaign), lack of a mission generator, and the goofy pre-uber patch AI behavior were issues that turned me off. Another big hit for me in particular was the surprisingly small list of available armored units for the eastern front - especially after playing CMBB for so many years! Going from a bunch of different types of, for example, the entire Panzer III series in CMBB, to just one type each of the Panzer III-G and III-J in ToW (no PzIII-H at all!) felt, well, unfulfilling.

However, I do like the armor that IS there, and there are a handful of armored units that are in ToW that were not in CMBB (a proper Panzer-I, for starters). Furthermore, the uber patch went a long way in making significant improvements to ToW. The adjustments to the AI, and the inclusion of the battle generator (despite it's complete lack of any random unit generation whatsoever), among other things, were welcome.

The infantry/light armored action is a lot of fun, once you get the hang of handling your foot troops so that they don't die in droves, that is...

I dunno. Over the years I've grown spoiled over the immense developer support of what ultimatley developed into IL-2: 1946. I've been a huge fan, and daily player, of that series since 2003. I'm hoping that 1C and Battlefront invest equal support into ToW. The apparent potential of this game warrants deserved attention in that regard.

Originally posted by Treetop64:

I hope that 1C and Battlefront makes liars out of most of us, including myself, since I must admit that I was also fairly disappointed with ToW. The beautiful new graphics were certainly recieved with a hearty welcome. However, the small list of fixed missions, no dynamic campaign generation (not even an IL-2 style DGen ground campaign), lack of a mission generator.

yep I agree with you but there is a point maybe you should know, I am also a big fan of IL2 sence the original game appears but CM and war games and the ban of boom & zoom tactics on some servers are pulling me away from the sim. My cougar and tir are collecting dust in my desktop :rolleyes:

Any way the Dgen is not a creation of the people of 1C is a third party creation and Ole Maddox choose it to be in the forgotten battle sequel. The original IL2 sturmovik comes the same way as TOW, the more important Russian and German planes and a human created campaign and a limited until today mission generator, so i see difficult for them to develop a dynamic campaign generator or a mission generator.

Also i think that they are in a new territory for them (ground wargames) the game looks more than a tank warfare simulation than a wargame the pysco model of the infantry is not there at all, the tank crew is all the time bottoned so the human behaivior is not at all there, the units won surrender with imposible odds and simple do not run away adn the panick is programed but all the time i abeen playing the game it did not work, i just see one unit panicked. i think they have to gain some experience in this matter and as i see it the thing won happen with the add on. I think they have to rebuil the code for that or build the more psyco simulation into the game.

but when the psyco get there this game for sure gonna surpass CM. the only thing gonna put some wargamers out will be the need to play PBEM games.